Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

How does everyone see the end of the leagues next Friday?! Looks like Loughinisland will sneak fourth, it's between them and RGU. Winner of tomorrow night will most likely get top 4-some achievement for either club. Is Barry O'Hagan gone to the states? If so, Clonduff will be in the mix for relegation fight. I thought they'd beat Mayobridge last game but without a lot of lads now they'll struggle a bit. If they don't beat Mayobridge and some other results go against them, they won't be far off danger. I still think Town, Rostrevor, Bryansford and either Harps or CPN will go down. This bottom split is going to be brilliant for the neutrals. Are Bredagh a cert to come up? Who is best of the rest of so...money is on the stone finishing top and bredagh hanging on for second, barely...

stiff breeze

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 16, 2022, 08:20:56 PM

So you came back stronger but have been beat in first round many many times 🤔🤔

Also that's complete and utter nonsense about guys doing as much in the gym 20 years ago . On the pitch maybe but it was mostly daft training , it's now much more quality coaching and less laps . Whatever you may say about the younger generation now you definitely cannot lay lacking condition at most of them . 20 years ago people gained 1/2 stone in the off season . There is no off season now
[/quote]

I Didn say we were beat many many times in consecutive years.
Mayb guys in your club weren't doing much in the gym 20 years ago but in CPN they certainly were. Remember 20 years ago Armagh won an all Ireland with a team of monsters who set the bar high in terms of conditioning. The usual stuff happened with the club scene thinking they shud be doing what county teams are doing. The gym sessions might not have been as structured and professionally laid out as they are nowadays but they were effective. And as for laps - more All Irelands were won with them than without them despite all the bullshit overpriced sports science gurus and what they say.
[/quote]

I can't debate with an old bitter man/woman/other set in his/her/their ways and loves a bit of back in my day type talk  . Things move on , sport  evolves , kids nowadays train smarter and mostly harder and more often than in the past   . In 20 more years they will be doing something different. 

GAA Madness

Quote from: upandwin on June 16, 2022, 08:49:37 PM
How does everyone see the end of the leagues next Friday?! Looks like Loughinisland will sneak fourth, it's between them and RGU. Winner of tomorrow night will most likely get top 4-some achievement for either club. Is Barry O'Hagan gone to the states? If so, Clonduff will be in the mix for relegation fight. I thought they'd beat Mayobridge last game but without a lot of lads now they'll struggle a bit. If they don't beat Mayobridge and some other results go against them, they won't be far off danger. I still think Town, Rostrevor, Bryansford and either Harps or CPN will go down. This bottom split is going to be brilliant for the neutrals. Are Bredagh a cert to come up? Who is best of the rest of so...money is on the stone finishing top and bredagh hanging on for second, barely...

There are 4 worse teams than Clonduff, so they should be fine

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 16, 2022, 08:20:56 PM

So you came back stronger but have been beat in first round many many times 🤔🤔

Also that's complete and utter nonsense about guys doing as much in the gym 20 years ago . On the pitch maybe but it was mostly daft training , it's now much more quality coaching and less laps . Whatever you may say about the younger generation now you definitely cannot lay lacking condition at most of them . 20 years ago people gained 1/2 stone in the off season . There is no off season now
[/quote]

I Didn say we were beat many many times in consecutive years.
Mayb guys in your club weren't doing much in the gym 20 years ago but in CPN they certainly were. Remember 20 years ago Armagh won an all Ireland with a team of monsters who set the bar high in terms of conditioning. The usual stuff happened with the club scene thinking they shud be doing what county teams are doing. The gym sessions might not have been as structured and professionally laid out as they are nowadays but they were effective. And as for laps - more All Irelands were won with them than without them despite all the bullshit overpriced sports science gurus and what they say.
[/quote]

More All Irelands were won with laps than without, simply because of the lack of knowledge and expertise available up until recent times. I would love to see an old school lap running team play against a modern team with "overpriced sports science gurus", with players of similar basic skill levels, as there would be only one winner there. Kudos to you for being 20 years ahead with gym programmes at your club, clearly they were effective over the last 2 decades. Structure and planning of this aspect nowadays is the reason they actually work.

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on June 16, 2022, 08:49:37 PM

It all depends on the game tonight, if RGU win that's them in the top 4.

But if Island wins then there are a number of teams in the hunt. Clonduff have lost a few players and they will be looking to get something in Mayobridge next week to ease them away from that battle but they won't get getting any favours from their neighbors. The Ford has been unlucky the past few games and to be fair has really improved. Carryduff and CPN are starting to get their players back and will get points to safety. Ballyholland look in major trouble and seem to have someone sent off every game, they really need to sort their discipline out and I feel they could be sorting that out in division 2 next year. For the drop I reckon Rostrevor, Castlewellan, Ballyholland, and either Bryansford or Clonduff.

Hard2Listen2

Massive result for Loughinisland last night.
With Rostrevor at home next week they should hold on to 4th place.

Mourne Red

Wouldn't say we've snuck 4th.. We lost to the 3 teams higher than us and were unlucky against Clonduff at home. Still Rostrevor to play so hopefully all going well win that and assured Div 1 status.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on June 18, 2022, 09:13:06 AM

Who is managing Loughinisland?

Truth hurts

45% of reserve league division 2 games were conceded this year. It's time for the reserve leagues to be given back to the divisional boards.

Loughinsialnd are managed by Kevin Duffin and Collie McCrickard, they are in pole position and if Rostrevor cannot stop Oisin Savage on Friday then It will be the Island joining Kilcoo, Burren and the Bridge in the league play-off. Savage is special and he is someone who we should have on S and C programme already. Is there any update on the senior management, Plans need to be in place for 2023 already?

Green+Gold

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 20, 2022, 10:17:49 AM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on June 18, 2022, 09:13:06 AM

Who is managing Loughinisland?

Kevin Duffin and Collie McCrickard

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 20, 2022, 10:47:50 AM
45% of reserve league division 2 games were conceded this year. It's time for the reserve leagues to be given back to the divisional boards.

Loughinsialnd are managed by Kevin Duffin and Collie McCrickard, they are in pole position and if Rostrevor cannot stop Oisin Savage on Friday then It will be the Island joining Kilcoo, Burren and the Bridge in the league play-off. Savage is special and he is someone who we should have on S and C programme already. Is there any update on the senior management, Plans need to be in place for 2023 already?

Do agree with Truth on the Divisional Boards for reserves - Cost of fuel is wild these days and for us our closest away day was against RGU at the weekend. Every other one was Newry, Bandbridge or Belfast. RGU would be same boat as us for the travelling tbf. Closer the teams are seem to be more likelihood of fielding

Lloyd p

If clonduff and Loughinisland both win do clonduff not take 4th spot on head to head?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Lloyd p on June 20, 2022, 01:00:20 PM
If clonduff and Loughinisland both win do clonduff not take 4th spot on head to head?

That's right if RGU are beaten and Clonduff and Island win then Clonduff are up. Clonduff might just shade their game V Mayobridge as they have more at stake but I don't think they will be getting much favors from their neighbours.

Every game means something so it leaves for an exciting end to this first phase , Ballyolland host Warrenpoint in a must-win as If CPN win they go 4 points clear from them. We could start to see some more outliers after the weekend's fixtures.

upandwin

Massive weekend of fixtures ahead. Loughinisland will dispatch Rostrevor easily IMO. Kilcoo will be aiming to be the only one of the 'big four' at the start of the year to beat RGU who have already beaten the bridge Clonduff and Burren. I think Ballyholland will beat Warrenpoint as the point are very short again this week. Carryduff will easily beat the Town and I have a sneaking feeling Bryansford will go and beat Burren this Friday as Burren seem to be trying their best to not show their hand in the league. They've dropped points to Rostrevor, RGU and Ballyholland already and I think Ford will make that another scalp taken. Unlike Kilcoo, Burren don't seem to have the stomach or hunger to win every week like the best teams do. Kilcoo want to win every game like their life depends on it, doesn't mean they'll always get the result but they never take a game lightly. Burren always struggle to get motivated for the less strong teams in the division, shown once again this year. That's the difference between Kilcoo and the rest...

SticksandStones

Glenn Minors playing Aghaderg in a league final tonight, it seems the CB thought the best place for this game would be on a nice local pitch in Dromara