Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Carryduff desreved their win at Clonduff last night. Their corner forward (no 13, I think) is someone to watch out for; scored a beautiful point, then a goal, before shipping a heavy challenge and being taken off at the end of the first half. The challenge received a black card, tho possibly merited a red.
Ref had a good game

Square Ball

Quote from: Betsy Gray on April 22, 2022, 10:00:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 19, 2022, 11:38:22 AM
Did Bredagh win the A feile yesterday?

They'd be favourites for the hurling one this weekend as well....

Might need to move the centre of excellence further north....

I know that was a tongue in cheek post but the reality is the potential for mass participation in Gaelic games in the greater Belfast area is not being seized. Bredagh and Carryduff are both well run clubs with huge numbers but they simply cannot be expected to serve the entire population of greater south belfast.

There is a serious amount of people moving from rural areas, particularly west of the Bann, who simply drift away from the GAA when they settle in Belfast. Not because they lack interest but because they are well aware that the existing clubs are well over subscribed with players. It appears that no one had any idea that such a number of GAA minded people lived in the East Belfast area yet within a year they had entered teams in all 4 codes. I would estimate that there are enough non affiliated GAA minded people in greater South Belfast to cater for another 2 clubs.

P.S. I don't think this is just a problem for Down GAA it is a problem for the GAA centrally given the demographic shift.

The bigger problem is pitches, we have to pay Belfast CC a fortune to rent pitches, East Belfast are using at least three locations, and Carryduff have land and look to be developing a third pitch. Green spaces are at a premium in Belfast and any that do become available we would be up against developers. Well, that's 3 wins out of three for our seniors, just need to keep that focus for every game and see what happens. 
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SamFever

Quote from: Square Ball on April 23, 2022, 12:48:51 PM

I know that was a tongue in cheek post but the reality is the potential for mass participation in Gaelic games in the greater Belfast area is not being seized. Bredagh and Carryduff are both well run clubs with huge numbers but they simply cannot be expected to serve the entire population of greater south belfast.

There is a serious amount of people moving from rural areas, particularly west of the Bann, who simply drift away from the GAA when they settle in Belfast. Not because they lack interest but because they are well aware that the existing clubs are well over subscribed with players. It appears that no one had any idea that such a number of GAA minded people lived in the East Belfast area yet within a year they had entered teams in all 4 codes. I would estimate that there are enough non affiliated GAA minded people in greater South Belfast to cater for another 2 clubs.

P.S. I don't think this is just a problem for Down GAA it is a problem for the GAA centrally given the demographic shift.

The bigger problem is pitches, we have to pay Belfast CC a fortune to rent pitches, East Belfast are using at least three locations, and Carryduff have land and look to be developing a third pitch. Green spaces are at a premium in Belfast and any that do become available we would be up against developers. Well, that's 3 wins out of three for our seniors, just need to keep that focus for every game and see what happens.
Pat Havern has been a big miss for us so far.Were you missing many last night?You looked to have a couple of young ones starting last night.

Square Ball

Yip, we had to as a few out, but sure everyone has.

Betsy Gray

No doubt pitches and playing facilities are the massive problem. That is why I think it is difficult to point the finger. It is an issue for the GAA centrally to look at in terms of securing funding for land for pitches in places where facilities are lacking. Or at the very least applying pressure to public bodies to secure access to public pitches.

I am not sure if the urban shift is having a similar effect in other cities but the difference in Belfast is that Gaelic games are now thriving in areas where they were traditionally barely existing. The flood of people migrating to south and east Belfast is going to continue. The question for the GAA is whether they want the next generation participating in Gaelic games. The current clubs do outstanding work. But no matter how outstanding they are they cannot be expected to manage and cater for the sheer volume of population.

Ed Hardy

Hard to believe Down play a championship game this Saturday, there's zero buzz or appetite for the game after the league campaign and what's happened since basically just want this season over and done with.  Realistically will do very well to get within 10/12 pts of Monaghan. Any idea of who's still involved with the squad? Or who's been called in,? Would be very hard to predict the starting 15 at this stage.

johnnycool

I lived up that part of the world and was astounded that Hydebank playing fields for at least 2 months in summer was never used. Time to approach whatever Council who own it to get a few sets of GAA posts up during the summer.

imtommygunn

It's a baseball ground in the summer  ;D

Square Ball

Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2022, 09:38:57 AM

I lived up that part of the world and was astounded that Hydebank playing fields for at least 2 months in summer was never used. Time to approach whatever Council who own it to get a few sets of GAA posts up during the summer.

Been tried, posts up one day, removed the next, up again this time reinforced, down two days later.

johnnycool

Quote from: Square Ball on April 25, 2022, 09:59:52 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2022, 09:38:57 AM

Been tried, posts up one day, removed the next, up again this time reinforced, down two days later.

must be the lads from the Young Offenders centre across the road  ;)

snoopdog

Quote from: Ed Hardy on April 25, 2022, 07:17:24 AM
Hard to believe Down play a championship game this Saturday, there's zero buzz or appetite for the game after the league campaign and what's happened since basically just want this season over and done with.  Realistically will do very well to get within 10/12 pts of Monaghan. Any idea of who's still involved with the squad? Or who's been called in,? Would be very hard to predict the starting 15 at this stage.
I'd imagine quite a small Down crowd will turn up for this game. With the price of fuel and the apathy towards the team   it would be a long return trip.

Truth hurts

Quote from: snoopdog on April 25, 2022, 12:37:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on April 25, 2022, 07:17:24 AM
I'd imagine quite a small Down crowd will turn up for this game. With the price of fuel and the apathy towards the team   it would be a long return trip.

Is this game televised?

Hard2Listen2

Anyone in the know able to predict the team?
Difficult to know with lads having left the panel since the league.

Truth Hurts what you hearing in the cafés?

snoopdog

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 25, 2022, 02:48:50 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 25, 2022, 02:44:10 PMIs this game televised?

Live on Sky Sports Arena (throw-in 4.30pm), BBC NI will have online highlights shortly after the game is over.
I don't think I will watch it twice.

Mourne Red

Quote from: snoopdog on April 25, 2022, 09:41:41 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 25, 2022, 02:48:50 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 25, 2022, 02:44:10 PMIs this game televised?

Live on Sky Sports Arena (throw-in 4.30pm), BBC NI will have online highlights shortly after the game is over.
I don't think I will watch it twice.

Be a push to watch it once