Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Quote from: rosskarr on April 21, 2022, 07:38:28 PM
Any official word (results) of the two games last week that were or were not abandoned?
Can't see why An Riocht can't be awarded the win in their game

rosskarr

Quote from: Nanderson on April 21, 2022, 09:25:48 PM
Any official word (results) of the two games last week that were or were not abandoned?
I agree with you but not our decision.

Truth hurts

I heard about this one and by all accounts, Darragh pulled a stroke and the Kingdom are appealing the decision. Are we going down that route of feigning serious injuries to get games abandoned? We need to cop on.

SticksandStones

I think in soccer if a game is abandoned after 77 minutes or some random number anyway that the result stands, is there no similar rules in the GAA?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 22, 2022, 08:42:02 AM

I heard about this one and by all accounts, Darragh pulled a stroke and the Kingdom are appealing the decision. Are we going down that route of feigning serious injuries to get games abandoned? We need to cop on.

Was there not a DC player badly injured which led to game being called off?

Nanderson

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on April 22, 2022, 01:42:25 PM

Was only 'seriously' injured for 35 minutes when the Darragh Cross doctor told him he was allowed to get up. Police had already arrived and they tried to call off the ambulance. He wasn't injured enough to get off the field. Only was hurt when DJ told him to get back onto the pitch and lie down again

rosskarr

Quote from: Nanderson on April 22, 2022, 01:57:57 PM

Was only 'seriously' injured for 35 minutes when the Darragh Cross doctor told him he was allowed to get up. Police had already arrived and they tried to call off the ambulance. He wasn't injured enough to get off the field. Only was hurt when DJ told him to get back onto the pitch and lie down again
Police?

Nanderson

Quote from: rosskarr on April 22, 2022, 02:38:03 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on April 22, 2022, 01:57:57 PM

Police?
/
Police had to respond as the ambulance was treating it as a serious incident

Hard2Listen2

Jeez lads that's a serious accusation that any player would feign such a serious injury or that any management team would encourage it.

I just don't think any team is that cynical.

thewobbler

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on April 22, 2022, 05:53:42 PM
Jeez lads that's a serious accusation that any player would feign such a serious injury or that any management team would encourage it.

Absolutely correct

Unfortunately, this one is wide of the mark.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: thewobbler on April 22, 2022, 05:59:34 PM

Absolutely correct

Unfortunately, this one is wide of the mark.

Really? In a league game? Most clubs are run & supported by good people who wouldn't tolerate that?

charlieTully

The police are responding to a lot of calls these days as waiting times for an ambulance if you can even get one are ridiculous.

Nanderson

Unfortunately in this case it is a matter of fact that DJ Kane told their player to go back on the pitch and lie down after he was helped off the field by a member of their panel after being shown a straight red. DJ knew the rules and was willing to bend them even when 12 points down when they should have just accepted that they would go on to get beat being a man down.

Betsy Gray

Quote from: johnnycool on April 19, 2022, 11:38:22 AM
Did Bredagh win the A feile yesterday?

They'd be favourites for the hurling one this weekend as well....

Might need to move the centre of excellence further north....

I know that was a tongue in cheek post but the reality is the potential for mass participation in Gaelic games in the greater Belfast area is not being seized. Bredagh and Carryduff are both well run clubs with huge numbers but they simply cannot be expected to serve the entire population of greater south belfast.

There is a serious amount of people moving from rural areas, particularly west of the Bann, who simply drift away from the GAA when they settle in Belfast. Not because they lack interest but because they are well aware that the existing clubs are well over subscribed with players. It appears that no one had any idea that such a number of GAA minded people lived in the East Belfast area yet within a year they had entered teams in all 4 codes. I would estimate that there are enough non affiliated GAA minded people in greater South Belfast to cater for another 2 clubs.

P.S. I don't think this is just a problem for Down GAA it is a problem for the GAA centrally given the demographic shift.

Johnnysboys

CPN got a royal roasting last night. My god as much as it pains me to say it - Burren were simply awesome. Better in every position on the pitch. My question is - are Burren back and going to stay around for the long haul this year?