Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 11, 2022, 04:06:06 PM
"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
Laverty and Murtagh dropped,McParland to midfield and Poland to CHB. Guinness and McEvoy into the starting lineup.Genius stuff.

whitegoodman

It's Murdock and he is injured I am led to believe.

SamFever

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 11, 2022, 07:41:54 PM
It's Murdock and he is injured I am led to believe.
Apologies for the spelling mistake.Hope he's Ok.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: SamFever on March 11, 2022, 07:15:09 PM
"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
Laverty and Murtagh dropped,McParland to midfield and Poland to CHB. Guinness and McEvoy into the starting lineup.Genius stuff.

"Genius stuff"?
Not sure what point you're making here?

SamFever

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on March 11, 2022, 08:28:38 PM
Quote from: SamFever on March 11, 2022, 07:15:09 PM

"Genius stuff"?
Not sure what point you're making here?
It's what known as sarcasm.

rosskarr

I think the points being made recently are that there hasn't been many changes to the various lineups from previous games where we have gained one point from four fixtures. I hope this is a one year gig for James.No longer capable of managing teams in the modern era.Five years in charge of the Minors were a failure while the last few years of his previous Senior stint were mediocre.Sad but true.Rugby game today will be more enjoyable than Newry.

toby47

This season is a rite off from a Down perspective.

I can't see any outcome other than relegation & a first round defeat to Monaghan. The best thing Down could be doing right now is working on a management team for next season, that has to include Laverty with the intention of getting 6 Kilcoo men (minimum) to commit. Get training in October/November time and really push on.

Down named James McCartan as manager on 25th November. And fair play to wee James, anyone going near that job was mad in the head. In all honesty if he hadn't of stepped up where would Down have went next? But by 25th November id say Derry had over 40 sessions done. Looks at the difference in the 2 groups at the minute, and talent wise within the 2 counties there isn't that big a gap.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: toby47 on March 12, 2022, 12:42:08 PM

I can't see any outcome other than relegation & a first round defeat to Monaghan. The best thing Down could be doing right now is working on a management team for next season, that has to include Laverty with the intention of getting 6 Kilcoo men (minimum) to commit. Get training in October/November time and really push on.

Down named James McCartan as manager on 25th November. And fair play to wee James, anyone going near that job was mad in the head. In all honesty if he hadn't of stepped up where would Down have went next? But by 25th November id say Derry had over 40 sessions done. Looks at the difference in the 2 groups at the minute, and talent wise within the 2 counties there isn't that big a gap.

6 Kilcoo men minimum - ur having a laugh... They haven't 6 men fit for county football or those who everyone assumes would be fit for it havent the balls to put themselves forward to play it.. There's a massive difference in Down and Derry. Derry have had the same players for 6-8 years now and add very few each year. Our player turnover is mental - we don't have anyone willing to buy into a programme for a period of time to earn their position. The "entitled" ones I mentioned in a previous post.. 

Johnnysboys

Quote from: rosskarr on March 12, 2022, 12:35:20 PM
I think the points being made recently are that there hasn't been many changes to the various lineups from previous games where we have gained one point from four fixtures. I hope this is a one year gig for James.No longer capable of managing teams in the modern era.Five years in charge of the Minors were a failure while the last few years of his previous Senior stint were mediocre.Sad but true.Rugby game today will be more enjoyable than Newry.

A failure in terms of delivering silverware - correct. But Daniel Guinness, Liam Kerr, Pearse Laverty, Peter Fegan, Ryan McEvoy, Finn McElroy, Andrew Gilmore all came through his hands as well as many others who are now our senior players. Development of players he ticks the boxes for sure.

Lecale Gael

Bit like your posts 🤣
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

toby47

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 12, 2022, 03:17:15 PM
Quote from: toby47 on March 12, 2022, 12:42:08 PM

6 Kilcoo men minimum - ur having a laugh... They haven't 6 men fit for county football or those who everyone assumes would be fit for it havent the balls to put themselves forward to play it.. There's a massive difference in Down and Derry. Derry have had the same players for 6-8 years now and add very few each year. Our player turnover is mental - we don't have anyone willing to buy into a programme for a period of time to earn their position. The "entitled" ones I mentioned in a previous post..

3 x Johnstones, Kane, McEvoy, Dylan Ward, Ceilum Doherty not fit to play county football?

There's no difference in Derry and Down regarding player turnover. Derry haven't had the same group of players for anywhere near 8 years.

From 2006-2016 only Carlow (101) used more footballers than Derry (98) in that period. Down used 78 players in the same period. In 2016 & 2017 Derry used 71 players alone.

Derry played Leitrim in January 2020 in a league game, they last played Leitrim in 2017 before that, only 1 player played for Derry in both the 2017 & 2020 games.

9 of Derry's starting 15 in the 2019 Ulster defeat to Tyrone are not on this years Derry panel. Nor are 4 of the 6 subs used that day.

Gallagher is in his 3rd year now with Derry. You could argue they've had a consistent panel in that time - this was made much easier because of the last 2 short/Covid effected short seasons. And even still, Armagh beat Derry in Gallagher's first ulster championship match in 2020, 6 players used by Derry that day are no longer on the county panel.

You're argument there was complete muck! If Down appointed McGuinness, Laverty & Co, had 6 or 7 Kilcoo committing, and started training 4-6 weeks before Down did this year, you would be at the opposite end of the division 2 table. Derry got it wrong for years and ended up in division 4. If they hadn't of got a top manager in & didn't have Slaughtneil players(Rodgers, McKaigue, Cassidy, McGuigan) committing they'd be in the exact same place. The lessons are there.

Nanderson

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory tonight

SamFever

Quote from: Mourne Red on February 26, 2022, 06:13:32 PM
Look forward to SamFevers ratings for this match
Will be moving into zero or negative ratings after tonight.

Sandstorm

Well Johnnysnoys, after your rant, how many of tonight's team would get on the Kilcoo team?

MK

Absolutely irrelevant club make-up as game management was the problem-2 points up in the closing stages to be beat by a point in a relegation battle is really poor