Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

I'd also like to see Arthur McConville get another decent go at county level if he is keen, and maybe young Close from Clonduff too (though I'm not sure what age he is, would he be under 20's?)
[/quote]

U want to see 31 year old Arthur playing for our county?? A player who was taken off in the championship v Burren in the white heat of high level football as he was poor.

Other names suggested in previous post are generally good. Although I seen Charlie Smith get his ass handed to him last week v Burren in u20 game.. Goalkeeper - possibly but def not for outfield.

Smurfy123

Arthur no. He hasn't produced the goods for Clonduff in the heat of the battle in championship football. That could be said for most Clonduff players
Smyth certainly goalkeeper nothing else
Close doesn't even stand out for Clonduff
A lot getting carried away about the 20s players

snoopdog

RIP Barney Carr. A legend in Down. I know few on here will remember his team of the 60's, but we were all told of the stories of the great football Another link to our breakthrough era gone to their great reward. 98 years of age. RIP

Truth hurts

RIP Barney, what a giant in Down football, may he rest in peace.

I am really looking forward to heading to Cavan on Saturday for the An Riocht and Kilcoo doubleheader. The whole county should get behind these two clubs in their assault for Ulster glory.

I would like to see Oran Flanagan, Breannain McComiskey and Shea Croskery get a run with the county. Miceal Rooney and Jamie O'Hagan are two other players that could get a call.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Johnnysboys on November 30, 2021, 10:39:08 PM

I'd also like to see Arthur McConville get another decent go at county level if he is keen, and maybe young Close from Clonduff too (though I'm not sure what age he is, would he be under 20's?)
[/quote]

U want to see 31 year old Arthur playing for our county?? A player who was taken off in the championship v Burren in the white heat of high level football as he was poor.

Other names suggested in previous post are generally good. Although I seen Charlie Smith get his ass handed to him last week v Burren in u20 game.. Goalkeeper - possibly but def not for outfield.
[/quote]

Yes, or I wouldn't have written that. It's called having options, given the team isn't in the middle of a planned building process and playing style development it would do no harm at all to have a big lad to ruffle some feathers if need be.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 01, 2021, 08:18:50 AM
Arthur no. He hasn't produced the goods for Clonduff in the heat of the battle in championship football. That could be said for most Clonduff players
Smyth certainly goalkeeper nothing else
Close doesn't even stand out for Clonduff
A lot getting carried away about the 20s players

I wouldn't be the type to write off anyone considering any player showing potential can in theory be coached to improve and become consistent. Finding players won't happen by looking at who scored the most in the SFC every year.

Truth hurts

Jarlath Branigan and Donal Hughes are worth a run too

shagger

Quote from: Ed Hardy on November 30, 2021, 04:31:40 PM
Gonna be a busy few months for the Down panel playing catch up even just to get up to same fitness levels as the other  Div 2 teams. Hopefully wee James, and Aidan O'Rouke can get a good buy in from the players they call up. Would imagine it will a very different looking 15 which take to the feild v Monaghan than the one that played v Donegal this year come championship time. Personally I'd like to  see these players involved this year, I'm sure there are plenty I've missed out now.

3 x Johnsons
Shane Annett
Cormac McCartan
Steven Fegan
Ruairi O'Hare
Odhran Murdock  (very young, but some talent)
Owen McCabe (if he can get his form back, seems to be struggling since that bad injury v Mayo.)
Charlie Smyth
Tony Morgan
And M. Rooney from Kilcoo aswell .

Our current keepers got a lot stick last year, who do we bring in to better this position if that's the case??

thebar

Nice touch by Bryansford today thanking the current (old) management team on social media after sacking them. Not sure who benefited most from that post.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thebar on December 01, 2021, 03:50:01 PM
Nice touch by Bryansford today thanking the current (old) management team on social media after sacking them. Not sure who benefited most from that post.

The statement now has been changed, whoever posted the first one should get the road.

befair

Kilcoo 4-1 on on Saturday, evens -4 pts; is Daryl Brannigan fit?

Targetman

Hard2Listen2

Marty O'Rourke taking Ballyholland.

5 coaches from outside the county taking teams in Division 1.

Is this why we struggle to find suitable candidates for our senior county team?