Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaelforce123

Why would you let him at it? What has he done at minor
Level? One intermediate championship Doesn't warrant a county role. His involvement at u20s isn't even in a coaching capacity which is why he isnt named as part of the management when made public. He may well be a decent coach time will tell but he has more experience to gain as a manager or coach before being ever considered for county minor. Bit of a SM guy like one of our current coaches just like Stevey P.... what was Jim Gavin or Dessie Farrells last SM post? I do agree with likes of Neil Coulter, established and successful at the relevant age group and has had alot of success. Current management team has good mix of experience but they have tried and it hasnt worked unfortunately maybe time for a change

Betsy Gray

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 20, 2020, 09:10:25 PM
If you think that the guys you listed are any better or should be coaching our u17s then fair enough. I'd politely disagree.
You're slating the current management team very readily.there are very few alternatives and the cult of coach unfortunately seems to hold serious currency these days. He who shouts loudest and most often will always draw attention.

Whilst it's disappointing the 17 lost today I think its more worrying how little of our schools are making any impression at ulster colleges level Across the board

Hit the nail on the head there. And possibly add to that Down players do not appear to feature prominently in the Sigerson Cup at present.

As I stated above, it looks like we are just gong through a patch where we are not producing the players.

Its probably also fair to say that we have not been producing very good coaches in the county for a number of years now. Kilcoo have been doing well at club level but almost their entire coaching team is made up of men from outside the County. I could be wrong but I do not think there have been any coaches from Down finding success with clubs outside our own county (save for Poacher's relatively successful stint with Carlow).

It is good to see some of the younger generation trying to take steps towards becoming coaches. Hopefully they find some success going forward.

Conor Laverty clearly has a great interest in coaching so hopefully he can follow that through with some success. My only concern about him is the baggage he potentially brings to the role but hopefully that won't surface.

Smurfy123

We are miles behind at underage level
How come the all conquering Burren team which many believe is this best this county has ever produced can win with such ease but yet the county get knocked out in the first round by Fermanagh?
Make no mistake this team were touted in many quarters to win the All Ireland
Maybe it was just an off day and Fermanagh had one of those days?

Calm Down

Having watched all the minor games (yes my life is that boring) I thought Down were lacking both discipline and leadership from their line. They looked like a team who have never been behind or under P before and when they were the management had not way of changing or encouraging them to change. Slow build up almost handing the ball to each other, you can moan about defensive set ups but teams if they want to be the best have to find away round it

Apparently the young lad was sent off for spitting I see on Twitter, surprised as a neutral this is being brushed under the carpet here

johnnycool

On a more positive note the U17 hurlers won their All Ireland B Championship yesterday.

snoopdog

Quote from: Calm Down on December 21, 2020, 08:47:26 AM
Having watched all the minor games (yes my life is that boring) I thought Down were lacking both discipline and leadership from their line. They looked like a team who have never been behind or under P before and when they were the management had not way of changing or encouraging them to change. Slow build up almost handing the ball to each other, you can moan about defensive set ups but teams if they want to be the best have to find away round it

Apparently the young lad was sent off for spitting I see on Twitter, surprised as a neutral this is being brushed under the carpet here
If true then he deserved to walk. I watched the game but didnt see that.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on December 21, 2020, 09:11:43 AM
On a more positive note the U17 hurlers won their All Ireland B Championship yesterday.

Would it be fair to say JC that this was Down's best hurling year fir a long time. Great to see progress being made. 13 redhigh boys on the panel , big credit to the work being done there

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on December 21, 2020, 10:51:55 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 21, 2020, 09:11:43 AM

Would it be fair to say JC that this was Down's best hurling year fir a long time. Great to see progress being made. 13 redhigh boys on the panel , big credit to the work being done there

Yes, probably has.

A bit like the seniors the u17's were coming off the back of a good round robin championship with the Ports being a good bit stronger than the rest during the round robin phases but at least we gave them a run for it in the final which was a contest right up to the end.
They'd still be a good bit below Antrim IMO, but able for Derry and anything else in Ulster. We're still a good bit away from the days of giving tier one counties their fill of it at underage. The Celtic Challenge was badly missed this year IMO but nothing can be done about that.

These lads were developed by their clubs first and foremost, if they trained once a week for the school it would be the height of it, if at all. We've 3 lads who go to the red high on the panel with another 2 at Knock. They play little enough hurling in school. Portaferry would have a large contingent at the Red High making up most of that 13 you talk about. The credit for their development is with Portaferry.

Some would have played in previous years Celtic Challenges and the CB are getting their act together there although we'd the strange anomaly of us being asked to send a 13yo, a 14yo and 15yo to the final trial in October even though they were ineligible. My take on that is as much as it was a basic mistake to make but what has been happening the developments squads prior to this year when the management felt the need to delve so deep that they wanted to take three of our U15's to an U17 county panel....

Hurling wise schools do very little in terms of development and that's not just the red high, I'd include Knock in there as well. St Columba's would do more than any of them and thats with them having a small enough pick at the minute. Obviously from my days at school we played more football at St Columba's and if we played one hurling game, maybe 2 it was the height of it. So if they get a handful of more games then that's progress, but it's not going to be a major step in a child's development.

Mike Tyson

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but thought Paul Falloon was very good in the middle for the U20 All Ireland final. Great decision at the end not to take the easy option and award a free for the Dublin player diving. We are often quick (myself included) to criticize ref's so only right we acknowledge when they have good games too. Well done Paul.

befair

Quote from: Mike Tyson on December 21, 2020, 12:58:53 PM
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but thought Paul Falloon was very good in the middle for the U20 All Ireland final. Great decision at the end not to take the easy option and award a free for the Dublin player diving. We are often quick (myself included) to criticize ref's so only right we acknowledge when they have good games too. Well done Paul.

Agree, thought he was excellent

5times5times

I see big mouth Poacher at it again on twitter.. Swiftly deleted his tweet too. Didnt like being called out on his style of muck football & antics, resorting to a low-blow..

Ed Hardy

SHEEDY

Quote from: Ed Hardy on December 21, 2020, 08:03:32 PM
What did he post?
after parkinson was getting stuck into him on twitter about down only scoring 1-4 etc etc. Poacher responded with we all have off days, happy christmas and posted a newspaper article of a story about colm parkinson getting charged with assault from years ago. Swiftly deleted.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Red

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 21, 2020, 09:10:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on December 21, 2020, 08:03:32 PM
What did he post?
after parkinson was getting stuck into him on twitter about down only scoring 1-4 etc etc. Poacher responded with we all have off days, happy christmas and posted a newspaper article of a story about colm parkinson getting charged with assault from years ago. Swiftly deleted.

To be fair Parkinson is a mouth piece and deserved something thrown at him, shite he spurns on his podcast and twitter only a matter of time. Back to the football disappointing enough result considering the Burren team that were apart of that squad. But perhaps we need to go down a way of like a Barca (La Masia) approach to our development squads?

Have a set out a determined way of playing starting at youngest age group and all our development squads play this way, attacking hard working football that focuses on developing skills of the players. Seems to be a lot put into the S&C sode of things for these underage county players and when you play against them in senior football at least skill wise theres not much to worry about (bar the wee f**kers being fast). S&C can take a back seat and once they hit 17/18 give them S&C plans.

Smurfy123

Lads not going to get personal with insults about court cases regarding Parkinson. That crap no need in the broad daylight of social media. To many SM gurus about.
Let's get to the facts here. Men are getting big jobs and touted as the best coach in ulster maybe Ireland but backs it up with ZERO trophy's. When will people start asking the hard question?
I see James McCartan has stepped down.
Time for Neil Coulter or Bernie Ruane to stand up please.