Jim Gavin - The Greatest Manager in GAA history

Started by Solo_run, September 14, 2019, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: under the bar on September 15, 2019, 12:55:13 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 15, 2019, 12:28:05 AM
Yeah I think he is up there with the greats.

His job is like no other in gaelic management, past or present, if you take into account the money, players at his disposal, keeping near professional players happy, keeping the production line going (latest example, Murchan), and what is expected from the largest county population in the country.

Looking at the scenes after the match, there was a gra there between him and the players that would suggest great respect between the two.

For me, it is all about the manager in any team. A bit like an intellectual teacher with a class full of pupils, you could have the best manager in the country looking after a team of good players, but if the team don't get or buy in to what the manager and his team are trying to do, and both will gain nothing out of it.

I don't think anyone will ever hear the goings-on, fall-outs etc. that have happened in that Dublin team over the past few years, which were bound to have happened.
And by looking at the likes of Bernard Brogan celebrating as much as the next man tonight, it doesn't seem to affect the squad either - they have got their 5 in a row.

And that has to be down to Gavin and his management team.

I would be interested to hear the esteem that BrokenCrossbar and the Crossmaglen lads hold Joe Kernan in, because they were exactly the same in being serial winners.

Exactly the opposite more like. Cross won their AIs in the face of adversity. Gavin won his with the benefit of financial support most professional teams never see.

Gavin might be a good manager but there's little doubt Mickey Harte or Joe Kernan could easily have equalled or even bettered his record given the chance. Not sure Gavin would have won 3 X AIs with Tyrone tho!

Alright, i will put it another way, would that particular Dublin team win five in a row with someone else managing them?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Hound

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 15, 2019, 12:04:38 PM

His job is like no other in gaelic management, past or present, if you take into account the money, players at his disposal, keeping near professional players happy, keeping the production line going (latest example, Murchan), and what is expected from the largest county population in the country.

Looking at the scenes after the match, there was a gra there between him and the players that would suggest great respect between the two.

For me, it is all about the manager in any team. A bit like an intellectual teacher with a class full of pupils, you could have the best manager in the country looking after a team of good players, but if the team don't get or buy in to what the manager and his team are trying to do, and both will gain nothing out of it.

I don't think anyone will ever hear the goings-on, fall-outs etc. that have happened in that Dublin team over the past few years, which were bound to have happened.
And by looking at the likes of Bernard Brogan celebrating as much as the next man tonight, it doesn't seem to affect the squad either - they have got their 5 in a row.

I would be interested to hear the esteem that BrokenCrossbar and the Crossmaglen lads hold Joe Kernan in, because they were exactly the same in being serial winners.

Exactly the opposite more like. Cross won their AIs in the face of adversity. Gavin won his with the benefit of financial support most professional teams never see.

Gavin might be a good manager but there's little doubt Mickey Harte or Joe Kernan could easily have equalled or even bettered his record given the chance. Not sure Gavin would have won 3 X AIs with Tyrone tho!

Alright, i will put it another way, would that particular Dublin team win five in a row with someone else managing them?
Or if Jim had managed Mayo for the last 7 years, how many AIs would they have won?
At least 2 I'd say

under the bar

Of course

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: under the bar on September 15, 2019, 02:49:17 PM

Of course

Fair Enough  ???
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

brokencrossbar1

Very difficult to compare managers. For instance although Dublin won 5 in a row there were 8 players who started at the weekend didn't start 5 years ago. They are the beat squad there has ever been but would their best 15 on Sunday beat the best 15 that Kerry had during their runs? I genuinely don't know. In terms of Gavin being the greatest manager I am not sure. He is the greatest organizer of a vast array of talent but he has a machine of people under him. The likes of Micko and Coady would be very much the dominant figures and the driving force. Gavin is more of a 'facilitator '....and excellent one but I think that the coaching structures are such that the players are the ones who really dictate things as they're so well coached for years that their game intelligence and decision making is at a different level than other teams. Would he achieve what he did at another county?  Perhaps but that is and unanswerable.

Barry Breen's bandages....JK was a very lucky manager at the outset as he had a bunch of winners. You know what we were like from a very young age and we were born winners. We also had a great game intelligence and that was from playing together from we were children. 12-13 of us stayed together from u10 to senior....8 of us were starters on the first AI winning team. JK saw that, blended us in with the older boys and made us believe we were the best. The big thing he did though was organize us and that is what Gavin does so well with Dublin. He is the supreme organizer and that is why they were able to reset and see what needed to be done for the replay and why they would always win it.

Rossfan

Don't forget his coaching staff, training staff, logistics staff..........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 16, 2019, 09:21:12 PM
Very difficult to compare managers. For instance although Dublin won 5 in a row there were 8 players who started at the weekend didn't start 5 years ago. They are the beat squad there has ever been but would their best 15 on Sunday beat the best 15 that Kerry had during their runs? I genuinely don't know. In terms of Gavin being the greatest manager I am not sure. He is the greatest organizer of a vast array of talent but he has a machine of people under him. The likes of Micko and Coady would be very much the dominant figures and the driving force. Gavin is more of a 'facilitator '....and excellent one but I think that the coaching structures are such that the players are the ones who really dictate things as they're so well coached for years that their game intelligence and decision making is at a different level than other teams. Would he achieve what he did at another county?  Perhaps but that is and unanswerable.

Barry Breen's bandages....JK was a very lucky manager at the outset as he had a bunch of winners. You know what we were like from a very young age and we were born winners. We also had a great game intelligence and that was from playing together from we were children. 12-13 of us stayed together from u10 to senior....8 of us were starters on the first AI winning team. JK saw that, blended us in with the older boys and made us believe we were the best. The big thing he did though was organize us and that is what Gavin does so well with Dublin. He is the supreme organizer and that is why they were able to reset and see what needed to be done for the replay and why they would always win it.

And 6 of those 8 players (D Byrne,E Murchan,N Scully,B Howard,P Mannion,C O'Callaghan) didn't even play in the 2015 final.  Kerry in comparison i think still had 13 of 1978 starting team still starting in 1982 and the only sub they made in 82 was to bring on Pat Spillane at half time.

Saying all that Jim Gavin is certainly up there with the greatest ever managers.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Anyone remember the circumstances of Micko leaving Kerry.
Did he give plenty of notice or was it sudden?
Left after a winning or losing year?

marty34

Without doubt, Brian Cody is the greatest GAA manager ever - no question.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2019, 09:01:49 AM
Anyone remember the circumstances of Micko leaving Kerry.
Did he give plenty of notice or was it sudden?
Left after a winning or losing year?
Left in 89 after three successive Munster final defeats.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Hound on September 15, 2019, 07:31:00 AM
Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2019, 10:19:25 PM
I don't think it's a criticism of Gavin. His point just tells us that it's hard to know how good you are when you manage a team streets ahead of everyone.
I thought bringing Connolly back was poor. He wasn't near the level as far as I could see while other lads who have been there all year never got a sniff of action.
He can get away with these things where others wouldn't.

Having said that, while they keep winning, you can't fault him.
The reason Connolly was brought back was a lack of depth at half forward. We've loads of lads who can play in the FF line, but very little at half forward and midfield. Subs breakdown yesterday was 1 mid, 1 HF, 5 FF.

Not so sure that was the reason Connolly was brought back in, read Darcy Q&A in the Examiner today for insight.

Rawhide

I notice not one of you have considered that Gavin was the tactician that showed us all how to break down the mass blanket defence whilst winning five in a row. Identifying it, coaching it and then executing it saved the game for us all. That's in itself we should all be grateful of and puts him up in that greatest category
cccc is a true supporter lol

Hound

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 17, 2019, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 15, 2019, 07:31:00 AM
Quote from: hardstation on September 14, 2019, 10:19:25 PM
I don't think it's a criticism of Gavin. His point just tells us that it's hard to know how good you are when you manage a team streets ahead of everyone.
I thought bringing Connolly back was poor. He wasn't near the level as far as I could see while other lads who have been there all year never got a sniff of action.
He can get away with these things where others wouldn't.

Having said that, while they keep winning, you can't fault him.
The reason Connolly was brought back was a lack of depth at half forward. We've loads of lads who can play in the FF line, but very little at half forward and midfield. Subs breakdown yesterday was 1 mid, 1 HF, 5 FF.

Not so sure that was the reason Connolly was brought back in, read Darcy Q&A in the Examiner today for insight.
Great article

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/theyre-a-really-special-group-youd-bring-your-kids-to-watch-them-play-951128.html

dublin7

Quote from: Rawhide on September 17, 2019, 12:32:11 PM
I notice not one of you have considered that Gavin was the tactician that showed us all how to break down the mass blanket defence whilst winning five in a row. Identifying it, coaching it and then executing it saved the game for us all. That's in itself we should all be grateful of and puts him up in that greatest category

Well said. Everyone seems to be ignoring how he has improved players over the years as well. In 2017 it was a joy to watch them finally destroy the blanket defense against Tyrone and they put on an exhibition that today. Gavin has not only coached them how to play attacking football, but encouraged players to think for themselves and the team is full of leaders now all over the pitch. Youngsters like Brian Howard showing leadership like a seasoned veteran.  Bernard Brogan looked one of the happiest players on the pitch sat night even though he didn't even make it off the bench

Compare that to the robotic approach Mickey Harte has instilled into Tyrone football were everyone has to buy into their defensive approach and the poor fans who have to watch it every year

johnnycool

Here lads I think Jim Gavin is a brilliant manager and all that but to answer the question raised in the thread title you can't go past Brian Cody, end off.