Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: larryin89 on March 12, 2018, 05:46:54 PM
I still dont get it, I know im a biteen slow but I still havent heard one person tell me how you can run a competition on a Home, away, neutral game for each team where one team plays both their home game and neutral game at the same venue . This competition is not legitimate.
You're not wrong, but Dublin have played every semi-final and final they've been in in Croke Park so was any All-Ireland they competed in legitimate?

armaghniac

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 12, 2018, 06:27:49 PM
I still dont get it, I know im a biteen slow but I still havent heard one person tell me how you can run a competition on a Home, away, neutral game for each team where one team plays both their home game and neutral game at the same venue . This competition is not legitimate.
You're not wrong, but Dublin have played every semi-final and final they've been in in Croke Park so was any All-Ireland they competed in legitimate?

I notice they avoided the Polo Ground year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Fellas come on, which is it? Dublin are going to win the AI. They'll hardly lose once, never mind twice. Three times is stretching it a bit for them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

It's called making money. You have the largest supported team, and give them ease of convenience getting to their games. The easier it is to go to these games the more that will go! Throw in the Neutral venue excuse and the everybody loves playing Dublin in Croker and the Sting is set!

Super 8 is made for the Dubs. Three games in three weeks is a nightmare for the likes of a small squad like Monaghan. Suspensions, injuries and general tiredness would even destroy Mayo/Kerry! But hey Dublin will get their turn to Turkey shoot one by one the chasing bunch on their home patch. And we'll all be told how lucky we are to be around to witness such a great spectacle!

larryin89

My point is , a competition has to have rules, guidelines .

What is the name of Dublins official home ground ?

Do counties have to name a homeground or can they play it anywhere they choose ?

Home game : does that mean the distribution of tickets is controlled by the home county ?

Can the public see the guidelines for this new competition format?

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on March 12, 2018, 10:20:06 PM
My point is , a competition has to have rules, guidelines .

What is the name of Dublins official home ground ?

Do counties have to name a homeground or can they play it anywhere they choose ?

Home game : does that mean the distribution of tickets is controlled by the home county ?

Can the public see the guidelines for this new competition format?

Bit late for all of that! Besides nobody cares! Or at least they pretend they don't! There will be nothing in the media. It is what it is!

Rossfan

Rhubarbeens getting worried about the format.
End of the 2011 to 2017 squad must be nigh😊
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on March 12, 2018, 11:33:04 PM

To late in the day for worry. Our ship has sailed. Super 8 will be a disaster for the Rossies also!

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on March 12, 2018, 11:33:04 PM

Although that is true , our ship has sailed , you wont hear anyone that follows Mayo say otherwise unless they are deluded. That has nothing to do with my opinion on the unfairness of the super 8s  though in terms of Dublin favouritism.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

No matter what format the only thing at issue is who'll be bet by Dublin in the AI Final.
Sure it'll be a bit of craic with 7 of the rest of us playing a mini league in July to work towards that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Is there any data from other Super 8 arrangements? Would a team ike the Dubs pull away or would the frequency of the matches bring up the level or 1 or 2 of the other teams? Would Super 8 improve competiveness or worsen it ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

I bet you have called 10 out of the last 2 recessions too

Quote from: larryin89 on March 13, 2018, 06:27:41 AM

Although that is true , our ship has sailed , you wont hear anyone that follows Mayo say otherwise unless they are deluded. That has nothing to do with my opinion on the unfairness of the super 8s  though in terms of Dublin favouritism.

Quote from: larryin89 on June 30, 2017, 10:57:54 PM
It has the makings of a very sad day for mayo football, its no addition me raving how great these last few years have been, as neutrals just enjoy sneering it seems at a fantastic group of players who have given their all for the cause. I'll always speak their names with pride though and I'd hope all mayo people will too.

Finest of memories and an enjoyable journey its been .

and to Complete you hypocrisy
Quote from: larryin89 on July 24, 2016, 12:48:33 AM

I respect people are entitled to form an opinion obviously but id like to know what you and your ilk will do if we beat both westmeath and qf opponents ? What happens then , how can you and tommy carr et el be so wrong. The disrespect shown to this group of mayo players is fuckn disgraceful . People need to take a good look at themselves , five aisf appearances on the trot ffs man , some of ye need chokin i swear.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Esmarelda

Hopefully it's scrapped ASAP so we can move on and moan about something else. Maybe something that has had a chance to occur.

westbound

Assuming that Dublin will qualify for the super 8's and assuming that they will also qualify for the semi final, is there any incentive for any team to even try to beat them in the super 8's?

I'm not sure who will be in the group with Dublin, but even if Mayo or Kerry are in the group with Dublin is there any real incentive for winning the game? (unless it's the last game in the group and you need the points!)
Take Mayo, for example. If Mayo beat dublin in the super 8's then they'll probably finish ahead of Dublin in the group and therefore have an easier (in theory) semi final. But they'll end up meeting Dublin in the final again, except this time you've given Dublin a revenge mission and you've shown them how there are beatable.

I can see the teams in Dublin's group just rolling over (resting players etc.) against the dubs and then going all out to win the other two games! Then trying to catch Dublin in the final (or hope they lose the semi final)!

In fairness the other super 8 group could have great games.

Maroon Manc

Think the structure is Munster & Connacht champions along with the losers from the Leinster & Ulster finals should they win their round 4 qualifier in one group.

I think they've done away with the A & B side of the qualifiers but will there their be anything in place to try and avoid a repeat pairing of a provincial game in one of the groups?