Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

Quote from: downtothecore on April 13, 2024, 11:21:22 PMMcGeeneys mighty men will be expected to thump us

In the same way they did last year you mean?

urbangael

A game littered with loads of basic mistakes from 2 mediocre teams. You'd wonder what these lads do at all these training sessions. Poor game and definitely not worth the admission fee. The club match on Friday evening was better. Some strange selection choices from Lav that in truth offered nothing. We are crying out for a scoring forward. No goals scored again. Awful crowd and shite atmosphere but we are in the semis. I'd give us a 5% chance of making the final.

snoopdog

20 pound in to watch that is crazy money. No wonder only 4k turned up. There was a but of a buzz last year, that's gone now. Same old souls turning uo in hope that it will change. But what do you do? Do we have the footballers? Armagh took a longtime to get to where they are today under McGeeney. We need to stick with it,  i thought when Laverty started he needed 5 years, and I still believe that. You don't come from such a low starting point to being competitive with the likes of Armagh,Monaghan, roscommons etc overnight, unless you have a good foundation. Down hadn't won anything at any level since 2009 before Laverty came in. Our size is a major issue though. Has been for years. I'd be happy with a 5 point defeat to Armagh. We have little or no chance, and if we play like we did last night it's a thumping in the kip clones again.

downtothecore

Quote from: ranch on April 14, 2024, 01:11:25 AM
Quote from: downtothecore on April 13, 2024, 11:21:22 PMMcGeeneys mighty men will be expected to thump us

In the same way they did last year you mean?
I would expect that we have learned  bit and that we simply cant let happen again what happened last year from our biggest rivals. IF Armagh get over Fermanagh today then bring it on...

marty34

Quote from: snoopdog on April 14, 2024, 08:56:34 AM20 pound in to watch that is crazy money. No wonder only 4k turned up. There was a but of a buzz last year, that's gone now. Same old souls turning uo in hope that it will change. But what do you do? Do we have the footballers? Armagh took a longtime to get to where they are today under McGeeney. We need to stick with it,  i thought when Laverty started he needed 5 years, and I still believe that. You don't come from such a low starting point to being competitive with the likes of Armagh,Monaghan, roscommons etc overnight, unless you have a good foundation. Down hadn't won anything at any level since 2009 before Laverty came in. Our size is a major issue though. Has been for years. I'd be happy with a 5 point defeat to Armagh. We have little or no chance, and if we play like we did last night it's a thumping in the kip clones again.

The only way Down will get better is by playing in Div. 2, against better teams, for a year or two.  Then try to get up to Div. 1.

No point in looking for one-off victories in thr championship.

All about moving up the levels and improving the panel via the league.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: marty34 on April 14, 2024, 09:33:17 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on April 14, 2024, 08:56:34 AM20 pound in to watch that is crazy money. No wonder only 4k turned up. There was a but of a buzz last year, that's gone now. Same old souls turning uo in hope that it will change. But what do you do? Do we have the footballers? Armagh took a longtime to get to where they are today under McGeeney. We need to stick with it,  i thought when Laverty started he needed 5 years, and I still believe that. You don't come from such a low starting point to being competitive with the likes of Armagh,Monaghan, roscommons etc overnight, unless you have a good foundation. Down hadn't won anything at any level since 2009 before Laverty came in. Our size is a major issue though. Has been for years. I'd be happy with a 5 point defeat to Armagh. We have little or no chance, and if we play like we did last night it's a thumping in the kip clones again.

The only way Down will get better is by playing in Div. 2, against better teams, for a year or two.  Then try to get up to Div. 1.

No point in looking for one-off victories in thr championship.

All about moving up the levels and improving the panel via the league.

100% right. Ironically McCorry basically got the road for saying this in a post match interview after Wexford put us out of the championship.

befair

The Kilcoo county final episode really tarnished Lavery's reputation; much of the enthusiasm and support from last year has gone. Not all his fault, we don't have the players to compete.

ardtole

Quote from: befair on April 14, 2024, 01:00:34 PMThe Kilcoo county final episode really tarnished Lavery's reputation; much of the enthusiasm and support from last year has gone. Not all his fault, we don't have the players to compete.

It was a shameful episode alright. Strange too that there were never any details released by Croke Park after their investigation into it. Something just isn't clicking at the minute, if we are beat in the semi final, will there be as much enthusiasm for the TC this year as there was last year?

PAULD123

As Urbangael said above - basic mistakes. It was the same against Westmeath. For me the positives were that Down's defense is reasonably competent and we get plenty of possession. 

The problem is the final third. So many players not been decisive enough. And all our games there are so many opportunities to take simple points instead it's overplayed, or pass to someone who might be theoretically in a better position. Recycle and tease, over and over. There was one point in the second half when Daniel Guinness ran off the shoulder took a few steps a bounce and then simply knocked it to over the bar. We had so many times during the game when players could have done the same but didn't. So many times when a point could have been taken but it wasn't. Instead it's almost like everyone's looking for a perfect opportunity. And it doesn't help when Liam Kerr keeps over carrying the ball.

By the way I think Liam Kerr is great. His speed is such a weapon, he just lets himself down with primary school level decisions after he has penetrated.

Two other things that really bugs me, not just Down but every team.

Firstly - In the second half O'Hare was trying to take a kick out. 5 out of 6 defenders had their back to him, along with one midfielder and two half forwards. 8 out of 11 possible kick out options were being positively denied to the Keeper by the players. That drives me crazy eight players not looking for the ball, not even looking to distract the opposition.

Secondly - And this connects to the first. So many players standing still or strolling about drives me crazy. Like that kick out above, there were only two players that were actively running, though I think jogging would be a better term. And that wasn't just kick outs, that was all game, there were so many players just not moving much. How easy does that make it for the opposition to markup, and predict where the ball will Go? If you're not moving you're not asking questions.

Truth hurts

Any early updates on the senior leagues? Saul has had a great start.