Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

So we have john McGovern on the panel - a great player - but didn't play a minute of Gaelic football for his club last year in league let alone championship. Now we have potentially Clarke coming in who has played minimal minutes of Gaelic football in the last few years.. Why is Laverty doing this?

Targetman

So it won't look so bad when he names himself at full forward in the next match!!

County Star

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 05, 2024, 09:37:06 PMSo we have john McGovern on the panel - a great player - but didn't play a minute of Gaelic football for his club last year in league let alone championship. Now we have potentially Clarke coming in who has played minimal minutes of Gaelic football in the last few years.. Why is Laverty doing this?

So unnamed posters on message boards can question it

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Targetman on March 05, 2024, 11:10:48 PMSo it won't look so bad when he names himself at full forward in the next match!!
I could live with that to be honest. Played against our seconds last week - masterful. Intelligence is top drawer but pace has waned..

Sandstorm

Good luck to St Malachys Castlewellan in their final today

snoopdog

snoopdog

Johnnysboys

I see the result but was anyone at the U20 game today?? Were they 8 points the better team or just pull away at the end?

dingle82

Should have been beaten by more.. We got a late goal while Derry hit the post twice and crossbar at the end..Carr midfield and Kelly nr11 both done well but outside that well beaten.. Tyrone match will be tougher again

Splash

Tough game for the hurlers away to Carlow tomorrow.

I honestly feel as though Carlow have come on a lot recently, and are closer in standard to Dublin, Wexford etc., than they are to us, Kerry, Kildare etc.

Still though- a day of hurling in the sunny south east never did anybody any harm. Will be good to gauge where we're at, and will be able to tell better if being competitive with Laois was a one off, or are we really running at a similar level to these teams.

I've been very happy with how we've been going. Stephen Kieth has been absolutely unreal in particular, and thought Marc Fisher had a good game in the last round, and even though it would be easy to be disappointed with the draw against Kildare, I thought Down did well to not let the heads go down, particularly when things were going wrong, and were able to see the game out without losing.

Think Down's discipline leaves a lot to be desired at the moment, and we would have to stop giving away frees, but other than that, I think we're going very well with what we have at our disposal.

We've a good chance to of making a semi final, after that, who knows. Definitely been an encouraging year so far, though.

Splash

Hurlers narrowly lose out to Carlow.

Was level with ten minutes to go, and only five points in it at the end. Can't be too  unhappy with that when playing away to a strong Carlow side.

Given the way the other results went, Down  need to beat Meath at home next Saturday, and hope that Carlow beat Kildare in order for us to reach a semi final.

If Down can continue to play like that, they could very well reach promotion yet.

dingle82

Down missing 3 key Portaferry players - CT, Barry T and Tom Mcg.
Are they available next weekend? Good chance of pipping Kildare on score difference for a semi final place.

Granto

Who are the contenders for the Down All County Leagues this season?

johnnycool

Portaferry probably favourites for Div1, East Belfast could be a surprise package in Div2.