Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hard2Listen2

There's a problem with reserve games less than 24 hours after senior games.
Any lad who plays a half or more on Friday night won't be allowed (& shouldn't be expected) to play on Saturday evening.

Most panels of players are much smaller than in years gone by, senior football is more physically demanding, there is more awareness of burn out & sports science, players won't play with a knock, & there are a lot less of the lads who tog out for the seconds without training during the week. These all limit the number of reserve players available.

Not sure how to sort that but it's my explanation for the 'did not field' phenomenon we're now seeing.

Not just in Down either.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on May 16, 2022, 05:29:59 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on May 16, 2022, 05:16:24 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 16, 2022, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: SamFever on May 16, 2022, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 16, 2022, 01:43:53 PM
One of the aristocrats of Down club football cannot field a seconds team for the last two weeks. How can Bryansford be struggling for numbers?
Aristocrats?Where do you get all these terms and ideas from?Regional reserve leagues?

Yes with a play off of the winners and runners up to win all county league. If you look at the DNF for the weekend, Bryansford not traveling to Carryduff, Saval not going to Loughinisland and Annaclone not traveling to Downpatrick. Less travel for reserve players means a better chance the fixture will be played.

This is a fair point, and initial local leagues with all county playoffs may work better

I've said this for years. The fear of an opponent no-show directly impacts on your own chances of fielding.

There's a period of 15-20 mins either side of half an hour before throw in when you are literally willing your opponents to arrive. I've had players steadfastly refuse to change / warm up until they see at least 5 opposition cars arrive.

But worse, so much worse again. Driving for an hour to arrive, and find out the host team is struggling to scrape together a side.

Does it get any worse than carting 16 U12 boys over on a ferryboat, drive for another 40 odd minutes to find out that the home team has only 3 players?

That happened us four years ago.

Truth hurts

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2022, 10:22:49 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 16, 2022, 05:29:59 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on May 16, 2022, 05:16:24 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 16, 2022, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: SamFever on May 16, 2022, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 16, 2022, 01:43:53 PM
One of the aristocrats of Down club football cannot field a seconds team for the last two weeks. How can Bryansford be struggling for numbers?
Aristocrats?Where do you get all these terms and ideas from?Regional reserve leagues?

Yes with a play off of the winners and runners up to win all county league. If you look at the DNF for the weekend, Bryansford not traveling to Carryduff, Saval not going to Loughinisland and Annaclone not traveling to Downpatrick. Less travel for reserve players means a better chance the fixture will be played.

This is a fair point, and initial local leagues with all county playoffs may work better

I've said this for years. The fear of an opponent no-show directly impacts on your own chances of fielding.

There's a period of 15-20 mins either side of half an hour before throw in when you are literally willing your opponents to arrive. I've had players steadfastly refuse to change / warm up until they see at least 5 opposition cars arrive.

But worse, so much worse again. Driving for an hour to arrive, and find out the host team is struggling to scrape together a side.

Does it get any worse than carting 16 U12 boys over on a ferryboat, drive for another 40 odd minutes to find out that the home team has only 3 players?

That happened us four years ago.

Thats wild altogether, in this day and age its not hard to communicate.

Targetman

Caolan Mooney's season over, torn ACL

Mourne Red

Quote from: Targetman on May 17, 2022, 09:07:24 PM

If true potentially his Down career too.. 9-12 month recovery from that injury nowadays so could be our next year then what age will he be in 2024?

Nanderson

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 17, 2022, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: Targetman on May 17, 2022, 09:07:24 PM

If true potentially his Down career too.. 9-12 month recovery from that injury nowadays so could be our next year then what age will he be in 2024?

Truth hurts

Looking at this week's fixtures: Bryansford v RGU and Carryduff v CPN look to be massive games. The top 4 split and relegation thereafter is going to be a dog fight.

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 18, 2022, 09:40:48 AM
Looking at this week's fixtures: Bryansford v RGU and Carryduff v CPN look to be massive games. The top 4 split and relegation thereafter is going to be a dog fight.
Will you take in a game this week?

African Sunset

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm not surprised to hear fellas are walking away from the county or have no desire to play county football. I have watched Down (and the transformation of the game itself) since the mid 1990s and have always wondered why anyone would be interested in playing Gaelic Football -  particularly when its being played in the fashion adopted by all counties throughout the island.

Men behind the ball, the endless fist passing and goalkeepers running up the park like headless chickens. It's a style which has been willingly embraced by counties who have had little or no success in the last century and were desperate for success but not by playing the game in its orthodox fashion. This new brand of 'football' (if you can call it that) has been encouraged by managers who fancy themselves a bit too much and think they're enlightened thinkers. In reality they are just legends in their own heads.

Down has always been a traditional county and we were reluctant to go along with this craze. Unsurprisingly, this has translated into lack of success at inter county level. There is no aesthetic appeal within Gaelic Football like there once was. Players no longer punt the ball 40 yards into the forward line which, when done successfully, was a thing of beauty to behold particularly when you have corner forwards battling with their marker. Now it's all risk averse and about 'recycling possession'.

Over the years I have seen supporters of the game, especially the armchair ones, lose interest and I don't blame them. Why would you want to watch the muck being served up? More importantly, why would you want to train six nights a week just to master the art of fist passing within your own half? Down have nothing to prove to anyone but if other lesser counties want to indulge themselves in this then be my guest - I'll stick to the club scene.

wobbller

Quote from: African Sunset on May 18, 2022, 12:30:24 PM

I'm not surprised to hear fellas are walking away from the county or have no desire to play county football. I have watched Down (and the transformation of the game itself) since the mid 1990s and have always wondered why anyone would be interested in playing Gaelic Football -  particularly when its being played in the fashion adopted by all counties throughout the island.

Men behind the ball, the endless fist passing and goalkeepers running up the park like headless chickens. It's a style which has been willingly embraced by counties who have had little or no success in the last century and were desperate for success but not by playing the game in its orthodox fashion. This new brand of 'football' (if you can call it that) has been encouraged by managers who fancy themselves a bit too much and think they're enlightened thinkers. In reality they are just legends in their own heads.

Down has always been a traditional county and we were reluctant to go along with this craze. Unsurprisingly, this has translated into lack of success at inter county level. There is no aesthetic appeal within Gaelic Football like there once was. Players no longer punt the ball 40 yards into the forward line which, when done successfully, was a thing of beauty to behold particularly when you have corner forwards battling with their marker. Now it's all risk averse and about 'recycling possession'.

Over the years I have seen supporters of the game, especially the armchair ones, lose interest and I don't blame them. Why would you want to watch the muck being served up? More importantly, why would you want to train six nights a week just to master the art of fist passing within your own half? Down have nothing to prove to anyone but if other lesser counties want to indulge themselves in this then be my guest - I'll stick to the club scene.
What a pile of waffle as your first post.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: African Sunset on May 18, 2022, 12:30:24 PM

Well arent you a ray of sunshine

Sorry, sunset 😃

Truth hurts

Quote from: SamFever on May 18, 2022, 11:22:12 AM

Bryansford and Downpatrick, you?

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 18, 2022, 12:50:52 PM

Just down to the pitch to see us against Darragh Cross.Danny and DJ along the line will be fun.

Truth hurts

Quote from: SamFever on May 18, 2022, 01:17:12 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 18, 2022, 12:50:52 PM

Just down to the pitch to see us against Darragh Cross.Danny and DJ along the line will be fun.

bring ear muffs

Hard2Listen2

Are Ballykinlar fielding mens team this year?

I remember they were in the East Down Reserve at one stage.

I think County Board also tried to help out with coaching.