Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: APM on June 29, 2022, 11:35:52 AM
How many penalties have Armagh missed in the last few years.  I would be surprised if we score any more than half the penalties we win.

From a quick search:
Rian O'Neill, Monaghan, 2022 NFL
Stefan Campbell missing v Tyrone, 2021 NFL
Jamie Clarke, Monaghan 2014, Louth 2015
Rory Grugan, Roscommon Qualifiers, 2018
That one was in ;)

Manning18

Quote from: balladmaker on June 28, 2022, 10:19:07 PM
TK will get a suitable ban and will be the first to admit he deserves it.  Thankfully no serious damage was done to Damien Comer, and it's good to hear TK has reached out to the Galway camp.

I agree with the comments from Galway folk above ref. how the melee started ... it was no more that 15 yards in front of me in the lower Cusack .... a shoulder in the back of Comer and the handbags commence.  I could see it coming as could anyone else in the stadium I reckon, tensions were palpable and there was even some minor jostling behind me between some rival supporters however they quickly caught themselves on. (This was in response to a Galway man's efforts to sing the Fields of Athenrye after each Galway score, and he eventually reached a crescendo when they went 6 up and he proceeded to goad Armagh supporters around him, it was very funny when the game drew level :-) )   In hindsight, Galway will probably be grateful that the row did occur, as it changed the whole mood from one of collapse to one of let's go again for Galway.

I watched in dismay as the melee unfolded as I knew right away that this was not to Armagh's benefit.  We'd just come back from the dead topped off by Rian's wonder point, we should have been first into the changing rooms to get the heads settled and ready to push on to victory ... instead Armagh handed the psychological initiative to Galway who came out the stronger in extra time.

I'd imagine that Galway fan felt very like me, sheer embarrassments at the collapse (at least I hadn't started singing!). I couldn't shake it off or enjoy the game whatsoever until we went two down and McDaid's goal dragged us back into it, at least then I knew we hadn't lay down.

I completely agree on the malee, I think it refocused Galway and McDaid said as much in his motm interview after the game. It wouldve been a very hard job to get the players up regularly after that finish. I did think Galway seemed a bit more sprightly in extra time however so possibly they just had more energy left

It was an amazing occasion, made by your fans and in my state of shock I still looked at Rian's point, knowing it was going to go over but also expecting that we'd see a moment of utter greatness. Was never missing for a second

Manning18

Quote from: Dabh on June 29, 2022, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2022, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 07:42:13 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

You've just admitted you weren't at the game! Considering multiple Galway people and an Armagh fan have just explained on the previous page that's not what happened, has it not occurred to you that the camera's may have missed the start of it? The Morgan shoulder into Comer happened about 5-10 seconds before the part you saw when the camera panned over, which was Comer following Morgan to remonstrate. Maybe he shouldve just taken it, but as I said, he's generally not one to shy away either

Armagh18

Quote from: Manning18 on June 29, 2022, 12:00:52 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

You've just admitted you weren't at the game! Considering multiple Galway people and an Armagh fan have just explained on the previous page that's not what happened, has it not occurred to you that the camera's may have missed the start of it? The Morgan shoulder into Comer happened about 5-10 seconds before the part you saw when the camera panned over, which was Comer following Morgan to remonstrate. Maybe he shouldve just taken it, but as I said, he's generally not one to shy away either
Regardless of who started it- 2 hardy hardy men who were never going to shy away- was very very little in it bar one incident- even the likes of Cavanagh said there was nothing wrong with a bit of pushing and shoving and slabbering at each other and is to be expected at that stage.

Taylor

I said this a few times earlier in the thread and was told I was wrong.

When the whistle went Armagh #2 had his arms in the air - rightly delighted they had got a draw.

He then ran into the back of Comer and cheered/roared in his face - it all started from there.

galwayman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2022, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 29, 2022, 12:34:32 AM
Fantastic game, it had everything and everyone fixated on TV. 

It was historic, that's something to be proud off.

Was it not a pretty poor first 35 mins?
I think the first 35 mins was average enough alright to be fair.

Dabh

Off course it occured to me that the cameras missed something, which why i led by stating i wasn't at the game.  But nowhere (that i saw) did anyone mention the gap between Morgans shoulder and Comers and no one mentioned Comer running after Morgan to remonstrate.   The images and what i was reading didn't match. Had that been included i wouldn't have questioned it, now it all makes sense. 

And as for whether or not he should have taken it - no way - noone would have expected him too. 

seafoid

McDaid's goal was very well put together. Mannion the sub delivered the perfect pass and McDaid's run could not have been better.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2022, 01:59:57 PM
McDaid's goal was very well put together. Mannion the sub delivered the perfect pass and McDaid's run could not have been better.

Very true.

From the camera on the hill, his movement is excellent. Moved about a bit, while watching the ball and then made the sprint to support.

In fairness, it was a tidy pass to him. Can't remember (Mannion)who passed it to him but they could have shot a point or went for a goal themselves but popped a nice pass off to Mc Daid.

He finished it well - didn't have much time. The Armagh defender sort of blinded the keeper as he stood in front of him. Simple finish all the same.

A big play from Mc Daid. His point was unreal at the death also. Could have went anywhere.

An Fhairche Abu

Had Mannion even played FBD before Sunday? I can't recall him ever playing a minute for Galway, I think he was only called in after the M/M county run last year. Either way unbelievable composure after getting himself into the correct position, would have been easy to kick or fist over the point score and bring it back to one point match, he saw that the goal was on and executed it through.
Looking at the confidence of the M/M and Moycullen lads lately in the Galway jersey – and you'd have to whisper this quietly around Belclare alright – Corofin's stranglehold on the county title coming to an end was no harm at all for the Galway Senior team.

To be fair to O Laoi, I thought he played really well when he was on the pitch as well, a lad who has been maligned as limited by many (I'm including myself in that) but he really showed up when the county needed him against Armagh, fair play to him.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 29, 2022, 02:34:58 PM
Had Mannion even played FBD before Sunday? I can't recall him ever playing a minute for Galway, I think he was only called in after the M/M county run last year. Either way unbelievable composure after getting himself into the correct position, would have been easy to kick or fist over the point score and bring it back to one point match, he saw that the goal was on and executed it through.
Looking at the confidence of the M/M and Moycullen lads lately in the Galway jersey – and you'd have to whisper this quietly around Belclare alright – Corofin's stranglehold on the county title coming to an end was no harm at all for the Galway Senior team.

To be fair to O Laoi, I thought he played really well when he was on the pitch as well, a lad who has been maligned as limited by many (I'm including myself in that) but he really showed up when the county needed him against Armagh, fair play to him.
I don't think so. He was on the bench for a few of the league games this year and I was surprised he didn't get a few mins in any of them to get a taste of it(unless I missed it).
While I'm pretty sure he made panels I don't think he got any championship game time for the minors or u-20s in the past either.
Agreed on O Laoi he did very well. He has a tendency to bring the ball into contact and get turned over but no sign of that on Sunday and kicked a nice point to boot.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 29, 2022, 02:34:58 PM

Corofin achieved something special but for the county a spread of talent is better .
The amount of talent on the panel now is impressive.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

general_lee

I was at the game and that was my view of it at the time and it's my view of it having watched the game back. Also this one way narrative that only Morgan was at it all game is ballex of the highest order. Him and Walsh were both going at each other throughout, not long after Morgan got booked Shane Walsh had him pinned to the ground right in front of the linesman (eyes firmly painted on). Morgan was trying to get free for about 6-7 seconds with Walsh doing his best to provoke something. While the blind official eventually alerted the ref, colderick then proceeded to do absolutely f**k all about it  ::)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Armagh have form , simple as. McGeeney a thug

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on June 29, 2022, 09:36:07 PM

I was at the game and that was my view of it at the time and it's my view of it having watched the game back. Also this one way narrative that only Morgan was at it all game is ballex of the highest order. Him and Walsh were both going at each other throughout, not long after Morgan got booked Shane Walsh had him pinned to the ground right in front of the linesman (eyes firmly painted on). Morgan was trying to get free for about 6-7 seconds with Walsh doing his best to provoke something. While the blind official eventually alerted the ref, colderick then proceeded to do absolutely f**k all about it  ::)
I'd say both sides were as guilty as each other for starting the ruckus at full time which was totally harmless bar one incident.

Agree with you on Morgan and Walsh, again both at it same with Comer/Forker/Rafferty etc etc but nothing short of what you'd expect at that level with so much at stake-nothing wrong with it and I'm sure both men will have shaken hands after a great battle. I didn't see the start of their wrestling match during the game and haven't seen a clip of how it started but ones beside me said Walsh was lucky not to get a black card for taking Morgan to the ground.

He definitely held him down with Morgan trying to get free-trust me not an easy task to do to Morgan lol!