Cardinal Daly RIP

Started by Gaffer, December 28, 2009, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Family guy

Sandy Hill

"Stercus accidit"

Bogball XV

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 29, 2009, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on December 29, 2009, 12:59:50 PM
Did he not see them collect an All Ireland?

not lately.
Aye, but it wasn't that long ago, and I think some neighbouring club went close on several occasions, but never quite managed it.

Minder

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 31, 2009, 10:50:03 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 29, 2009, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on December 29, 2009, 12:59:50 PM
Did he not see them collect an All Ireland?

not lately.
Aye, but it wasn't that long ago, and I think some neighbouring club went close on several occasions, but never quite managed it.

They still have the big yin.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

He had a good innings. He would have spoken a fair bit at our school and he came across as a very nice man.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 31, 2009, 11:03:00 PM
He had a good innings. He would have spoken a fair bit at our school and he came across as a very nice man.
I had a fair bit of contact with him way before he retired and I always thought the same of him.  He was passionately anti-violence and inspired me on the right road to take in life
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Square Ball on December 31, 2009, 08:58:24 PM
sad news indeed

It is hardly sad news... he was 92 years of age and had a long innings. Death has to come to us all some time. Certainly may he Rest in Peace.

Square Ball

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 31, 2009, 11:27:26 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on December 31, 2009, 08:58:24 PM
sad news indeed

It is hardly sad news... he was 92 years of age and had a long innings. Death has to come to us all some time. Certainly may he Rest in Peace.
personally I think its sad when most people die irrespective of their age
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Sincere man by all accounts. RIP
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

Shamrock Shore Snr gave him a lift in a smelly lorry in mid 70s as his car (no drivers then) had broken down in the middle of nowhere. Cathal B flaged him down. I may be open to correction but his car had a numberplate SometingIX 666 (IX was Longford's reg pre 1986)

In 1982 when he left Ardagh and Clonmacnoise a few of us from Mels boarding school were dispatched to his "palace" to catalog and pack his library. There must have been a million book there and no Harold Robbins! We got a £5 each. Which in dem days was like €1,000 euro. A charming intelligent man who seemed to understand the life of a boarder in Mels in the early 80s (for the record there was nothing that ever happened that would merit an inquiry....priests in Mels were tough but decent and there was no, you know, stuff)

I have only fond memories of Cathal B.

RIP

longrunsthefox

Song of the besieged

Drink yourself silly tonight, the news is bad:
riots have broken out among the rich and famous,

they're heading our way in a raucous rabble,
they're heading our way seeking revenge.

Let's have a pint and a chaser each,
count our offences and prepare to amend
whatever it is that's maddened the pack,
whatever it is makes them slaver and growl.

It's dark outside but in here there's beer,
fags in the machine and nothing to lose,
the only complaint the price of a double,
the only sound the hubbub that soothes.

So what if somewhere in this city tonight
troubled millionaires go red in the face,
form posses in search of a good night's sleep,
form victim support groups and beg for relief?

Have you ever noticed how sensitive they are,
the famously famous, to wisecracks and quips,
how quick to react to a fall in the pound,
how adept at assessing the stranger's kiss?

Poor darlings! Having to remember
the innumerable names of unfamiliar friends,
having to remember to speak for us all
yet never speak ill of the lame or the dead.

So the news is bad, they're lonely and mean,
the rich and famous from Hello magazine.
Our betters are demented but after one more short
we forgive their excesses and turn to the sport.

Galwaybhoy

magickingdom

i got a great education from the brothers and priests (and still go to mass) and have huge respect for most of them in these very trying times, cardinal daly tho i never warmed to. his ban on the tricolour in churchs for provo funerals really galled me, if any politician in ireland had any balls he would have told daly the tricolour could go anywhere in ireland and if daly had any balls he would have banned the provo funeral in the first place. but there you are the weak play with the meek. dont even start me on child abuse. . in spite of that rant i hope he rests in peace