Ulster Semi-Final, Fermanagh/Monaghan V Donegal/Derry

Started by Mid Mon, April 30, 2008, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Mon

Mid Mon

An after thought there'll be plenty of day light by the time this fixture comes round.

ExiledGael

Seen this in the Star today, was this not known weeks ago? Definitely heard it before now

Maguire01

Would be like our qualifier v Donegal in Omagh last summer - great evening that, including the weather!  I'd imagine this is the semi-final destined for that same venue - it's very central for all 4 counties on that side of the draw. If i was offered it now, i'd happily take it!  :)

ExiledGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 30, 2008, 08:18:53 PM
Would be like our qualifier v Donegal in Omagh last summer - great evening that, including the weather!  I'd imagine this is the semi-final destined for that same venue - it's very central for all 4 counties on that side of the draw. If i was offered it now, i'd happily take it!  :)

Ay it's that half of the draw anyway, so you think it will be a repeat of the qualifier. is that the sound of the Farney army counting chickens there Maguire?

J70

Under lights?

Its daylight until well after ten at that time of year!

Edit: I didn't see your second post before I wrote this. Carry on...

Maguire01

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 30, 2008, 08:45:37 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 30, 2008, 08:18:53 PM

Ay it's that half of the draw anyway, so you think it will be a repeat of the qualifier. is that the sound of the Farney army counting chickens there Maguire?
Not even slightly!  That's why i said if i was offered it now i'd gladly take it!
No one is underestimating Fermanagh, especially in Enniskillen. 
Anyway, sure if we did get through, we'd be playing Derry.  :P

donelli

just checked this on the gaa offical and it is indeed on 21st june in omagh.

bring back the sunday fixture!!!!

marty88

Im just wondering, how many tickets were armagh given for the donegal match last year?

How many do people think Derry will be given?
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

J70

After all the whinging (by some) last year, Armagh didn't sell out their complement of tickets.

I would think any Derry people who want to attend the match in Ballybofey will be able to do so. Same for Donegal people.

thebandit

That game in Omagh was brilliant last year, Monaghan's best championship performance for years

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: marty88 on May 07, 2008, 12:04:27 AM
Im just wondering, how many tickets were armagh given for the donegal match last year?

Aye great bit of marketing, everyone thought that the tickets would be like gold-dust, I still managed to get me and mine 10 tickets, Ballybofey was like a sardine can though, it was verging on the dangerous!
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: thebandit on May 07, 2008, 11:14:28 AM
That game in Omagh was brilliant last year, Monaghan's best championship performance for years

Probably since Ballybofey in 1995!

I think that 1995 game was one of the most unforgiveable performances I've seen from Donegal (although the second-half surrender in Omagh last year is up there too). Donegal had a pretty good team at that time, but after beating Down (then AI champs), they started thinking about Ulster semis and finals and forgot that they'd actually have to first put in a bit of effort to beat even an unrated or unknown Monaghan team. The hype around the county was unbelievable as well, so I suppose it got to the players and they just couldn't get going on the day (I remember my father cautioning in the lead-up to the match that Donegal never did well against Monaghan and that we could be in for a rude awakening given the general air of complacency about). Monaghan were unbelievable and looked like they would be a force for quite a while to come, given that they were a young team, but they never seemed to build on that performance. Maybe it was just a reflection of how bad Donegal were on the day! Its the only time I've seen Donegal fans leaving Ballybofey with the game still going on and the opposition singing "Cheerio" and "Easy Easy"!

AFS

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 07, 2008, 04:14:47 PM

Aye great bit of marketing, everyone thought that the tickets would be like gold-dust, I still managed to get me and mine 10 tickets, Ballybofey was like a sardine can though, it was verging on the dangerous!

As someone that was there last year, I'd seriously question the capability of Ballybofey to hold the 21000/22000 it did last year. It was genuinely dangerously overcrowded (the worst I've been at since the All Ireland Final in Croker in 1993 with the Derry 'wans' on the Hill) , especially at the sides of the pitch. The Donegal County Board should think about reducing the capacity for this summer.

J70

Quote from: AFS on May 09, 2008, 02:22:28 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 07, 2008, 04:14:47 PM

As someone that was there last year, I'd seriously question the capability of Ballybofey to hold the 21000/22000 it did last year. It was genuinely dangerously overcrowded (the worst I've been at since the All Ireland Final in Croker in 1993 with the Derry 'wans' on the Hill) , especially at the sides of the pitch. The Donegal County Board should think about reducing the capacity for this summer.

I wasn't there last year, but in my experience, what happens in Ballybofey (and some other grounds) is that the initial crowds gather at the halfway line, and then the terrace and stand fill up from the halfway line back towards the town end, as that is where the people are coming from (its not quite as bad on the stand side). Maybe the Donegal CB had crowd control in place last year to combat this, but I've seen it quite a few times. I always head towards the river goals and generally get a good spot without much trouble, but a sell-out crowd may be a different affair.