galway

Started by leenie, November 07, 2009, 01:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Can't believe I'm about to do this, but Galway is a great City, one of the best in the land. All I said was the people where smug (true, very true, the got an element of the Celtic Kitten that caught the cream about them, or they had, sure thats knocked out of them now) and yes if your heading towards Mayo you are going in the right direction, it just means you are leaving a stunning county to go to the fairest of them all. Go to Galway ladies its a top notch spot. Great Fish & Chips in McDonaghs on Quay Street. Galway is made even better by the fact that most of the popluation are from Mayo or Clare anyways  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

boojangles

Quote from: Canalman on November 08, 2009, 02:52:06 PM
Try the Radisson just behind the Railway station. A tad pricey but great location and a great breakfast. They didn't check room no's for the breakfast  when I was there last so you may not need to pay in advance for it (we did by the way). Full of hen parties.

Not a fan of Galway by any means......... Dublin prices and the smuggest of people. You will be told a million times by them  how "great" the place is. A few nice pubs and that's it.
Use it as a base only imo to tour Connemara/The Burren.

Totally the opposite IMO. Lived in Galway for a while myself and compared to Dublin its a different planet.A great city to head out in with a very relaxed feel to it,and if you look around you will find great value.The people in most cases are very welcoming and friendly and I have never come across one bit of trouble in Galway. the weather can be very bleak but bar that you will have a ball.
Follow GalwayBBs advice but Id also tell ya to check out down across the bridge for the Roisin Dubh,Massimos etc.It is a great student town so should be lots of talent about too,unless yas are looking for the mature types!?

leenie

too old for students too young for "mature" types.....

we'll have to update ya's on what we think of the place.. booked for 3 wks time!

so it'll be nice and christmasy !
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Caid

Quote from: leenie on November 08, 2009, 11:16:50 PM

we'll have to update ya's on what we think of the place.. booked for 3 wks time!

Galway's a deadly spot.  Best City in Ireland. 
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Billys Boots

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 08, 2009, 06:38:37 PM
Galway is a joke I never got but loads of people think its funny ???

You never said that when you were wending your way to the Ska disco in the Warwick!!  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mid Mon

Any recommendations on where to watch the soccer on Suturday and the rugby on Sunday

Farrandeelin

Quote from: leenie on November 08, 2009, 11:16:50 PM

I fit into that type then. :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Mid Mon on November 12, 2009, 07:53:42 PM
Any recommendations on where to watch the soccer on Suturday and the rugby on Sunday

Get a seat in the open area downstairs in the King's Head at the bottom of Shop Street. Living Room a good spot too just off from King's Head, not sure if it is still open.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

leenie

woop-di-woop

headin tomorro

updates due online monday......... ;)
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Try the Rosin Dubh across the canal, go to the Front Door brilliant spot, drop into the Quays for a pint, the Kingshead is another spot to go, Taaffes is another nice one, hit the Skeff, Freeneys deserve a look, Tig Cóilí  for some ceol.

http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/all-pubs/
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AbbeySider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 11, 2009, 12:06:29 AM
Try the Rosin Dubh across the canal, go to the Front Door brilliant spot, drop into the Quays for a pint, the Kingshead is another spot to go, Taaffes is another nice one, hit the Skeff, Freeneys deserve a look, Tig Cóilí  for some ceol.

http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/all-pubs/

I hate the Rosin Dubh.
Its full of crusties and the pints are puke. Its good for a comedy or music gig but thats about it.

That side of town in general is shite. Massimos is the only Ok pub down there and at that, its off the beaten path.

I would recommend a pint and a pizza in Monroes though if your up that side.

ballinaman

Can't stand the place, a match would be the only reason i'd to to there.

maggie

A lovely city-it was buzzing, christmas parties galore (was keeping my eyes open for some board members with hip flasks but didn't spot any.
Great craic-would defo go back.

muppet

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 07, 2009, 06:43:17 PM
Bad decision. Galway must rank as the rip-off capital of rip-off Ireland. Lovely place but they charge way over the top for everything!  Bring plenty of yo yos.

That would be Killarney.

Had my stag in Galway, my choice, despite pressure to copy some of my mates and go abroad. Great time had by all. Back there for the Connacht Final weekend last summer and another great weekend had by all (Mayofolk).

Best city in Ireland by a mile.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on December 14, 2009, 03:45:51 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on November 07, 2009, 06:43:17 PM
Bad decision. Galway must rank as the rip-off capital of rip-off Ireland. Lovely place but they charge way over the top for everything!  Bring plenty of yo yos.

That would be Killarney.

Had my stag in Galway, my choice, despite pressure to copy some of my mates and go abroad. Great time had by all. Back there for the Connacht Final weekend last summer and another great weekend had by all (Mayofolk).

Best city in Ireland by a mile.

Absolutely. Great city, always have a great time there. Coincidently, had my stag there too. Great minds...!  ;)