Jobs

Started by Boycey, July 22, 2020, 08:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

This job is also with a recruitment company and online as I wouldn't be mad enough to rely solely on the good people of this forum but thinking about it last night i thought that word of mouth be good enough to at least get someone an interview.

We're looking a Project Manager for a pretty big construction project of approx six months. If anyone thinks they know anyone that fits the bill drop me a message and we'll talk.

All smart comments welcome on the thread and feel free to use thread for similar in the future.

NB - Obviously no Tyrone or Liverpool fans would be considered for the job  :)

illdecide

Ahh...I'm currently applying for an assistant PM with a big company in Belfast. Public or private?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

Beginning to wonder do people have it too easy in life?

We've had an ad online/recruitment agency and other media platforms for a few weeks and its seems no one is actually looking to work lol!

Anyone finding it difficult to get new employees and decent ones at that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2023, 02:43:10 PM

We've had an ad online/recruitment agency and other media platforms for a few weeks and its seems no one is actually looking to work lol!

I was interviewing 6 to 9 months ago and the salary we were offering wasn't enough to entice the people we wanted to apply and we had to go for a graduate who'd only a year plus in the industry experience we were looking and TBH we'd a bit more training to do but its worth it now.

Certain sectors in NI there's a dearth of employees out there.

Walter Cronc

Yes - construction related sector. Can't get men!

J70

It's not just the north or Ireland.

I'm hiring in NYC, and while we are a relatively specialized field, it's very hard to find even two or three half decent candidates to interview.

rosnarun

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 31, 2023, 03:07:58 PM
Yes - construction related sector. Can't get men!
sexist pig
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

toby47

Almost anyone looking a job now wants working from home/ hybrid working/ early finish on a Friday. Are you offering any of those or any combination of the 3? I think that companies who aren't are really starting to struggle with recruitment.

themac_23

Quote from: toby47 on March 31, 2023, 03:21:48 PM

Almost anyone looking a job now wants working from home/ hybrid working/ early finish on a Friday. Are you offering any of those or any combination of the 3? I think that companies who aren't are really starting to struggle with recruitment.

Yeah some of the incentives for certain jobs is crazy, my wife got a new job starts in a few weeks, got a massive pay increase from where she is now. Can work from home 2 days a week and after 6 months goes to a 4 day week with no change in pay. Also private health insurance and free gym membership. I honestly couldn't believe that companies offered packages like that.

toby47

Quote from: themac_23 on March 31, 2023, 04:24:02 PM
Quote from: toby47 on March 31, 2023, 03:21:48 PM

Yeah some of the incentives for certain jobs is crazy, my wife got a new job starts in a few weeks, got a massive pay increase from where she is now. Can work from home 2 days a week and after 6 months goes to a 4 day week with no change in pay. Also private health insurance and free gym membership. I honestly couldn't believe that companies offered packages like that.

Yeah a lot of that is seen as 'the norm' now. We were recruiting recently and the recruiter told us that 'private health insurance basically isn't a perk anymore' as almost every private company were offering it. They were trying to tell us that everyone was doing it now and they way to become more attractive was offering more holidays. A brother of mine gets 1 extra days holiday a year, for every years service he does, capped at 10 days. Although they start with 35 days and has been working there 5 years so he's now at 40 days.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on March 31, 2023, 02:48:37 PM

I was interviewing 6 to 9 months ago and the salary we were offering wasn't enough to entice the people we wanted to apply and we had to go for a graduate who'd only a year plus in the industry experience we were looking and TBH we'd a bit more training to do but its worth it now.

Certain sectors in NI there's a dearth of employees out there.
Big companies are increasingly looking at apprenticeship and graduate schemes. The people aren't out there so they need to be "made".

Milltown Row2

This is a front facing medical appointment generating tele sales job, preferably having experience but extensive training given..

Up to £30,000 plus other years incentives and progression

Ended up with nothing so far!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Subbie

Interesting thread lads & lassies
I'm based in Sydney and regularly interview people for roles within the company I work for
I'm not in HR or recruitment, I'm in a project manager / project leadership role in the civil / infrastructure end of things
Very busy at the min and TBH seems to be getting g busier

For the last year approx I've found the dynamic in interviews has shifted- not subtly but massively and quickly
An interview now is a sales pitch where u try to pimp your role as much as you can and hope for a bite
I've had lads interview for an engineering role and get the gig , start , then 2 weeks later Jack and say the role is not what was described ( when it clearly was !)
There seems to be a definite shortage of people who know how to and want to "do" - there seems to be no shortage of people who want to "not do" but sit on the sideline and critique those who "do"

This is a problem as with the shortage of "do-ers" the hard work is falling on a rapidly diminishing pool of people as the people left doing resent fully the non doers , if that makes sense

I know our HR grown ups are looking at attrition rates , new hire rates and retention rates and they are nervous for long term

Milltown Row2

could save you all that post by saying there are some lazy ass Cnuts out there who want the money without putting in the work!

The Subbie

There's a bit of that all right but I think it's more

There is some lazy cnuts about - no doubt
There's also some ,who for them , any type of effort is just too much , accepting responsibility is off the reservation material
There's some who are fully focussed on what they "get" and don't have any understanding that they need to give to uphold their end of the deal

Longer term tho , there's - to my eyes anyway - a definite shift away from the construction industry it seems - next 5 -10 years will be interesting