Cooking; Slow Cookers / Air Fryers etc

Started by JoG2, February 03, 2023, 02:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

During Lockdown, dinners became a big part of the day with everyone in the house. Really got motoring with the slow cooker and air fryer. Air fryer used daily these days, quicker and uses for less electricity than the oven

Slow cooker, every Sunday now the silverside, topside, pork loin goes in about 8am on a medium setting. Have experimented with Cola, Football special etc, add in some paprika, piri piri, Chipotle etc. Serious reward for little effort. Much like a bbq, the man will get the plaudits for 5 mins work while the wife does the heavy lifting!

J70

McDaid's Football Special is still around after all these years? :)

Brilliant!

Used to love one of them on the odd occasion we'd get to the cinema when I was a kid.

How do they work on the meat in the slow cooker!

JimStynes

Have an air fryer but looking to upgrade to one of those ninjas

Gabriel_Hurl

Have one of those dual ninja air fryers - some job.
We use it pretty much every day - replacing the oven. 

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on February 03, 2023, 03:19:16 PM
Have an air fryer but looking to upgrade to one of those ninjas
Have one of those Ninja Dual Air Fryers. It's brilliant.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

LC

I was trying to get the Ninja Dual last year but were out of stock everywhere, is this still an issue?

Puckoon

Have yet to eat something out of the air fryer and think "I will only make it this way from now on".

Crockpot/Slow cooker is a weekly use for me, great not having to think about what's for dinner and then just come home and the house smells good and you're ready to rock.

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on February 03, 2023, 03:15:45 PM

Brilliant!

Used to love one of them on the odd occasion we'd get to the cinema when I was a kid.

Mix in with the stock J70. There's a few places around Inishowen Clcook ribs and beef in Football Special. It's delicious. There's Football Special ice cream on the go these days

J70

Quote from: JoG2 on February 03, 2023, 04:55:51 PM

Brilliant!

Mix in with the stock J70. There's a few places around Inishowen Clcook ribs and beef in Football Special. It's delicious. There's Football Special ice cream on the go these days

Excellent! Let me know if you've any recommendations.

Bringing the flock home for a few days this summer and Inishowen will be on the list for showing them around.

gawa316

Brilliant!

Years since I had a Football Special...maybe in Bundoran in the 90's.

J70 would it not be like a cream soda sorta thing you'd get out here? Rootbeer and Dr. Peppers also good for the meat.

We use the slow cooker all the time. Random stuff like 3/4 chicken breasts, a jar of thai curry sauce and a can of coconut milk on low for the whole day. Lovely with rice and naan.

Another easy one is a pork shoulder (or whatever large piece of pork you can get your hands on) taco seasoning rubbed round it, and then 1-2 cups of chicken broth. On low all day...you can make about 3 meals from it...carnitas rice bowls, taquitoes, tacos, nachos etc. Kids love it.

JoG2

Quote from: gawa316 on February 03, 2023, 05:41:32 PM

Brilliant!

Years since I had a Football Special...maybe in Bundoran in the 90's.

J70 would it not be like a cream soda sorta thing you'd get out here? Rootbeer and Dr. Peppers also good for the meat.

We use the slow cooker all the time. Random stuff like 3/4 chicken breasts, a jar of thai curry sauce and a can of coconut milk on low for the whole day. Lovely with rice and naan.

Another easy one is a pork shoulder (or whatever large piece of pork you can get your hands on) taco seasoning rubbed round it, and then 1-2 cups of chicken broth. On low all day...you can make about 3 meals from it...carnitas rice bowls, taquitoes, tacos, nachos etc. Kids love it.

That's tomorrow's dinner sorted! Good man

gallsman

Very student-y sounding! Any chance of some onions, peters etc?!

gawa316

Quote from: gallsman on February 03, 2023, 10:02:57 PM

Very student-y sounding! Any chance of some onions, peters etc?!

My kids don't like onions but yes throw a few in. Would also add some peas and/or sweet potato in with about 30/45 mins to go

Milltown Row2

Not into slow cookers but it has its benefits

Though it can be samey regardless of the ingredients

I've used it for soups though for lunch, works well.

Been vegetarian for diners the last few weeks so handy to whack in stuff
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Bored of lunch book a good job for the slow cooker...

Bored of Lunch: The Healthy Slow Cooker Book: THE NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER https://amzn.eu/d/hhd8Ogm

He has an air fryer one coming out as well in March