GAA WTF

Started by seafoid, January 30, 2023, 07:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/01/30/mother-seeks-injunction-stopping-dublin-gaa-club-from-allegedly-banning-kids-from-training/

A mother of four has asked the High Court for an injunction restraining Dublin-based GAA side Fingallians from barring her children from participating in club activities.

Sinead O'Farrell, of Sandford Wood, Swords, was on Monday granted permission by Mr Justice Brian O'Moore to serve short notice of the injunction proceedings on the officials of Fingallians GAA Club.

Richard Kean SC, for Ms O'Farrell, told the court his client was seeking the restraints on behalf of her children Luca (10), Cai (eight), Nia (six) and Alia (five) who, along with her and their father, Jason, have been banned from the club.

Mr Kean, with Ger Colleran BL, instructed by Robinson Solicitors, said the O'Farrells were paid-up members of Fingallians, of Seatown West, Swords, and all of her children play football and hurling. The application seeks injunctions against club officials Colin Foley, Carl Jones, Eoin Martin, Denis McCarthy, Sarah Nixon and Pat Ward.
In an affidavit, Ms O'Farrell said a dispute arose following a boys under-9 football tournament in Newry, Co Down last year. She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group.

The fallout from the tournament led to her husband and other adults whose children were part of the group being fired as volunteer under-9 coaches in September, she claimed. Since the removal of those parents, she said, communications and meetings with club officials have not resolved the matter.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

"She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group."

Probably a dispute between play your best players and try to win versus everyone gets a turn.

Armagh18

Quote from: dec on January 30, 2023, 07:42:50 PM
"She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group."

Probably a dispute between play your best players and try to win versus everyone gets a turn.
Sounds like it. Madness.

Orior

At under 9, which is the right thing for a coach to do?

Should loud parents be able to over rule a coach?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LC

The fact that this is in the courts means some of those involved have more money than sense.

thewobbler

This stinks.

I find it hard to believe that this is worthy of a court's time.

Ireland's horrible dissent into being just like America continues.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2023, 08:15:39 PM

But throwing 4 kids out of the club because a parent may or may not be a pain in the hole isn't right either

thewobbler

We don't know the details BB. Too early to stick the boot into the club. Too early to stick the boot into the family too.... except as they've brought it to court they're likely either exceptionally passionate or exceptionally difficult people (or perhaps both).

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

It doesn't really state why the kids are banned, and I can see nothing in the article that says they are.
A club should be able to select and deselect its own coaches.

If they travelled all the way to Newry they should have been giving game time to any players they brought with them.

Armagh18

Quote from: LeoMc on January 30, 2023, 09:55:42 PM
It doesn't really state why the kids are banned, and I can see nothing in the article that says they are.
A club should be able to select and deselect its own coaches.

If they travelled all the way to Newry they should have been giving game time to any players they brought with them.
Agreed.

LeoMc

I wonder what his approach was, best players on to win every game or give everyone a game even if it meant losing. I have seen Parents flip over both.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: LeoMc on January 30, 2023, 10:33:12 PM

I wonder what his approach was, best players on to win every game or give everyone a game even if it meant losing. I have seen Parents flip over both.

exactly. Don't know whether the club were trying to give equal game time and the parents wanted to win the (Under-9!) competition, or the coaches were playing the best players and the parents wanted all the kids to get a game.

Either way, there has to have been a number of opportunities since for both parties to have come to an agreement on this. Ridiculous sideshow with the kids losing out at the end. Anybody around the area know the back story?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Eamonnca1

I'm not sure how this is any of a court's business. I'm sure there were internal channels in the GAA that could have been used to settle it.

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 30, 2023, 11:40:15 PM
I'm not sure how this is any of a court's business. I'm sure there were internal channels in the GAA that could have been used to settle it.
What if those channels have already been exhausted?
"she said, communications and meetings with club officials have not resolved the matter."

Richard Kean SC ??    that's serious money!
The club will have to prove that they had just cause to ban the kids with reference to the club constitution.
Imo, don't punish the kids for (perceived) sins of the parents.