Fermanagh 7/1

First round of fixtures.

Saturday 28th

Tipperary v Down
Fermanagh v Longford

Sunday 29th

Antrim v Offaly
Westmeath v Cavan
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Shamrock Shore

Looking forward to some lively debate...

seafoid

Surely Westmeath are better than 2/1. The Tailteann really brought them on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

FermGael

Odds for Fermanagh are about right
We will be happy to stay in Div 3 I would think
We have a massive game against Longford first .
We have to win that one or I fear the worst
We have blooded alot of young players but we are not finding any forwards.
As usual a lot will depend on Sean Q.

Cavan and Down seem to be a cut above the rest but I wouldn't be so sure .
Cavan found that out last year.
Down have new management that seem to have the players behind them but they are unproven at this level and division 3 will be blanket defences galore.
It's going to be a real dog fight

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Itchy

I think that 1st game between Cavan and Westmeath in Mullingar will be key, whoever wins that will have taken a strong step forward. Cavan and Down are playing near the end of the league which is good for Cavan as from looking at Down I think they stared training early and by that game things should have equalised. Div 3 is a real dog fight and there are plenty of banana skins for all teams.

Cavan19

The only team in that Division that i would confidently say that Cavan would beat is Antrim the rest could go either way.

Itchy

Quote from: Cavan19 on January 17, 2023, 11:48:16 AM
The only team in that Division that i would confidently say that Cavan would beat is Antrim the rest could go either way.

Spoken as negatively as possible like a true Cavan supporter but I take your point that a lot of teams will take points of each other in that group.

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on January 17, 2023, 02:39:09 PM

Spoken as negatively as possible like a true Cavan supporter but I take your point that a lot of teams will take points of each other in that group.

Going by the performances in the league the last 4 or 5 years you hardly blame me for not been overly confident going into these games!

Dreadnought

It's a mad looking division this year. Last year was odd for the opposite reasons when it looked a poor division, hence the end we saw to it with who went up. With Cavan and Tipp up, and Down and Offaly down, this season looks a far tighter division than I've seen in recent times. With Westmeath failing to get promoted last year, could honestly make the case for 5 or 6 teams there being in with a chance of promotion. Should be some cracking games this year

ardtole

Down have had a very good pre season McKenna Cup campaign. The squad in general look very fit, we look a lot more organised than we have for a long time and have a real goal threat going forward.

I'm looking forward to the Tipp game on Saturday week, only 8/15  with pp which I think is a bit skinny for a first league game away from home. Might look elsewhere for a bit of value.

Itchy

Quote from: Cavan19 on January 17, 2023, 03:41:38 PM

Going by the performances in the league the last 4 or 5 years you hardly blame me for not been overly confident going into these games!

Well I am confident that Cavan can beat every team in this division if they apply themselves properly but I would agree there are many teams capable of beating each other and throw in the random messy weather and heavy pitches and a lot of games can go either way.

Captain Obvious

Cavan are so inconsistent alright. Still can't get my head around how they allowed themselves to drop to Division 4. Should be at the very least a Division 2 team staying up year on year. Sure even Clare have managed to do that.

Westside

Will Westmeath suffer from the same malaise that affected Cavan and Tipp in 2021 after Championship successes? Cavan are in a perfect position to test them Sunday week.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 18, 2023, 04:38:03 PM

Cavan are so inconsistent alright. Still can't get my head around how they allowed themselves to drop to Division 4. Should be at the very least a Division 2 team staying up year on year. Sure even Clare have managed to do that.

Inconsistent in league anyway, Championship was generally good in that time. An Ulster final and an Ulster win were on back to back relegations. With a coach who clearly stated that he used League to experiment for Championship, so it wasn't unexpected. That turned bad though when they linked league to Championship. And then that joke league in 2021 when they split it geographically meant you only had a few games before playoffs and then got caught. Should never have went down there though, no excuses. Always were and competed as a Division 2 or so level team. Just an odd set of circumstances. Paying for it now with missing the All Ireland series and seeing the gaps widening

seafoid

Quote from: Westside on January 18, 2023, 04:52:21 PM
Will Westmeath suffer from the same malaise that affected Cavan and Tipp in 2021 after Championship successes? Cavan are in a perfect position to test them Sunday week.
It would be a surprise.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU