Roscommon 33/1

Round 1 Fixtures

Saturday 28th
Mayo v Galway - live on RTE
Monaghan v Armagh - on BBC???

Sunday 29th

Donegal v Kerry - Live on TG4
Roscommon v Tyrone - Deferred coverage on TG4 or  live on tg4.ie
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

It's going to feel weird without Dublin
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AustinPowers

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2023, 08:38:08 PM
It's going to feel weird without Dublin

It's going to be  great without Dublin

square_ball

Tyrone to win it.

Monaghan & Roscommon for the drop.

Surely Kerry will give Clifford the majority if not all of the league off?

seafoid

Quote from: square_ball on January 16, 2023, 09:11:01 PM
Tyrone to win it.

Donegal for the chop

Blowitupref

Tyrone to win it.

Would be unusual for Jack O'Connor to do that.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 16, 2023, 09:21:52 PM
Tyrone to win it.

Would be unusual for Jack O'Connor to do that.
He'll get a good rest during Munster championship.

An Fhairche Abu

Galway look a bit short there odds wise, have a good few issues to sort out in terms of GK, kickouts, replacing Molloy and Silke, and getting some squad depth, although it feels those first two issues are a problem every year. Power isn't the answer in goals anyway.
Few players such as Shane Walsh and Sean Kelly need a break and I hope they get it, they are going non stop since this time last year. I would fear that Sigerson commitments for the Moycullen players and playing Division One intensity games is a recipe for disaster.

Staying up in div one and getting some semblance of progress on those problems initially mentioned would be a good league for Galway.
Good to have Cooke back in situ but really need the likes of Billy Mannion or Johnny McGrath to stick the hand up and stake a claim as a viable option for the championship, lack of squad depth (or lads that PJ trusts to come in) ultimately killed Galway last year.

Not sure if Kerry will be going all out to the same extent as last year in the league. I think McStay will have Mayo hitting the ground running for the league, they might be worth a punt.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:59:49 PM
Galway look a bit short there odds wise, have a good few issues to sort out in terms of GK, kickouts, replacing Molloy and Silke, and getting some squad depth, although it feels those first two issues are a problem every year. Power isn't the answer in goals anyway.
Few players such as Shane Walsh and Sean Kelly need a break and I hope they get it, they are going non stop since this time last year. I would fear that Sigerson commitments for the Moycullen players and playing Division One intensity games is a recipe for disaster.

Staying up in div one and getting some semblance of progress on those problems initially mentioned would be a good league for Galway.
Good to have Cooke back in situ but really need the likes of Billy Mannion or Johnny McGrath to stick the hand up and stake a claim as a viable option for the championship, lack of squad depth (or lads that PJ trusts to come in) ultimately killed Galway last year.

Not sure if Kerry will be going all out to the same extent as last year in the league. I think McStay will have Mayo hitting the ground running for the league, they might be worth a punt.
Can see us going well in the league, little or no sigerson commitments and obviously club footballers have been finished for a brave while. As long as we stay up and are competitive in every game (and obviously beat Tyrone, who will be out of the blocks flying this year imo) I'm not too worried about the league tbh, all about Ulster

. Think we have enough to stay up and are better than Donegal, Monaghan and Roscommon and on similar level to the others bar Kerry who are still ahead of the rest (although would be looking to beat them if the Cliffords arent playing tbh)

Captain Scarlet

Monaghan scraped home last year and Roscommon tend to be up and down a bit too so they could drop.
It's going to be interesting to see Donegal work around the loss of Murphy too.

A fair few teams are in flux with stalwarts leaving but the betting for the top and bottom 3 looks right.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 16, 2023, 11:20:24 PM
Monaghan scraped home last year and Roscommon tend to be up and down a bit too so they could drop.
It's going to be interesting to see Donegal work around the loss of Murphy too.

A fair few teams are in flux with stalwarts leaving but the betting for the top and bottom 3 looks right.
Monaghan 'scraped home' by defeating/condemning Dublin and ended up with 6 points??  that was luxury compared to one or two other years.
This time Monaghan have 4 home games, home games matter.
I can't remember the last time when we lost to Tyrone/Donegal at home in the league  ;D

Armagh18

Wild how a couple of penalties has Galway rated so much higher than us. Probably right though, a lot of young lads being blooded this year and another years mileage in the legs of older lads. Be glad to avoid relegation this year.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 09:59:49 PM

I agree re Kerry. Last year they had to beat Dublin in the championship with a team that never won anything and they used the league to reach terminal velocity. Galway hurlers did something similar in 2017. This year is different.
This year Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon and Mayo have new managers. I doubt that everything will be clear after 3 matches.

rrhf

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 07:42:01 AM
Wild how a couple of penalties has Galway rated so much higher than us. Probably right though, a lot of young lads being blooded this year and another years mileage in the legs of older lads. Be glad to avoid relegation this year.
Plus ye have got.to come to Omagh

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 07:42:01 AM

That's one way of looking at it. You could also argue that they were a good bit better than Armagh over the 70 minutes and should really have won pretty comfortably. Their failure to defend high balls late on certainly raised questions about them but they still scraped through on the day. The fact that they subsequently beat Derry pretty comfortably and were very much in the game late on in the final suggested they had answered those questions. Natural enough that the beaten finalists would be rated higher than the beaten quarter finalists really.

Will be a very interesting league. Big questions for me: Can Galway and Armagh build on those breakthrough seasons. Can Tyrone bounce back from such a poor year. Are these Donegal and Monaghan sides in terminal decline. Will McStay push Mayo back up a level or two. Don't have the answers but looking forward to the months ahead.