Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Sure we may get the ball rolling. The Dubs will want to steamroll everyone so it'll be a right scrap for the 2nd spot.

Derry will be favourtes to get it. A lot will depend on how Meath and Cork can build. From a Kildare perspective I'd worry about where we are at. No clue of how we are fixed...

What are the feelings in the other counties?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM
Sure we may get the ball rolling. The Dubs will want to steamroll everyone so it'll be a right scrap for the 2nd spot.

Derry will be favourtes to get it. A lot will depend on how Meath and Cork can build. From a Kildare perspective I'd worry about where we are at. No clue of how we are fixed...

What are the feelings in the other counties?
Kildare showed good signs in the league last year from what I saw of them before failing to turn up against Dublin in Leinster. Would have them just behind Derry as favourites for second.

Captain Scarlet

Ah it was more than a failure to show up, they were very naïve v the Dubs and Westmeath opened them up in the earlier game.

Any word from the Royal County lads on here? What is the mood music?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Derry have to get promoted. If they don't the bandwagon will stall. Last year  they had 5/5 and then they met their Aughrim. Not once but twice.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

shawshank

Stalled my arse, they then won the Ulster championship and unto an All Ireland semi-final.

seafoid

Quote from: shawshank on January 16, 2023, 03:45:51 PM
Stalled my arse, they then won the Ulster championship and unto an All Ireland semi-final.
Will is the future tense.
Staying in d2 would be bad news for Derry. They need to be playing the top teams regularly if they are serious about winning the all Ireland.

Wildweasel74

If we serious about winning an all Ireland we need some scoring forwards.

Blowitupref

To be promoted

Dublin 1/12
Derry 5/6
Cork 10/3
Kildare 4/1
Meath 5/1
Clare 14/1
Louth 16/1
Limerick 20/1

Dublin v Kildare will be live on TG4 Saturday, 28th and deferred coverage or live on tg4.ie for Cork v Meath on Sunday 29th.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Captain Scarlet

Derry will probably open up a bit more against some of the teams and based on last year they should go up with the Dubs.

The thing is with all the counties below those two, the wheels can come off very easily and you could end up in the Tailteann Cup handy enough! Cork, Kildare and Meath could all be great or useless within the space of a few games.

oakleaflad

I wouldn't be putting any money on Derry. We haven't the forwards to justify those odds to be honest.

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 17, 2023, 10:24:20 AM
I wouldn't be putting any money on Derry. We haven't the forwards to justify those odds to be honest.

Yeah it's early days in the Derry development process under Gallagher.
We certainly struggle for scores, though, hopefully this year a couple of the younger panel players from last year will have pushed on enough to improve that.

It'll be interesting from a Derry perspective. Was last year a one year wonder, or will we progress. Goals for this year will be promotion in the first instance, but I honestly think Gallagher's goal will be an AI final (realistic or not - I think that will be the goal this year).

As for the league, Dublin obviously must be favourites, but you never know. Their league last year was not good and they did stumble through the championship.
Meath, hard to know where they are. With new management in place they are somewhat unknown.
Clare can make it difficult for anyone in the league, but unlikely to hit 2nd spot.

Any one of Derry, Cork, Kildare or Meath could finish 2nd.
But wouldn't be a massive shock either of Dublin slipped up in a few games and finished 2nd with one of those 4 taking top spot.

God14

It is Gallaghers 4th season, until now the progression year on year has been tangible
It gets much harder from here on though.
Successive promotions, then stalled last year in Division 2... until Derry pulled off a major coup winning the Anglo Celt.
Defending Ulster will be difficult. The element of suprise is gone. Teams will be prepared now for the Donegal '12 tactics.
Derry wont be allowed to play on the counter attack so easily, plus the manic intensity evident last year is difficult to sustain
In order to maintain the trajectory into next season i think Gallagher really needs to get promoted.
I cant see anything other than Dublin winning Div2. So playing for second spot
Kildare is the only team i feel that will put that under threat.

Derry should get promoted, they have a proven defence and midfield.
Their options in the forward line appear to be improving with Niall Toner, Lachlan Murray & Ben McCarron starting the year well.

1st Dublin, 2nd Derry

yellowcard

Dublin are far from certainties to go up imo as they go through a transitionary period. Kildare, Meath, Cork and Derry will all have a chance of going up. Limerick and Louth look like strong favourites for the drop as the gap in quality between divisions 2 and 3 is a tough one to bridge.

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 17, 2023, 10:44:42 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 17, 2023, 10:24:20 AM

Yeah it's early days in the Derry development process under Gallagher.
We certainly struggle for scores, though, hopefully this year a couple of the younger panel players from last year will have pushed on enough to improve that.

It'll be interesting from a Derry perspective. Was last year a one year wonder, or will we progress. Goals for this year will be promotion in the first instance, but I honestly think Gallagher's goal will be an AI final (realistic or not - I think that will be the goal this year).

As for the league, Dublin obviously must be favourites, but you never know. Their league last year was not good and they did stumble through the championship.
Meath, hard to know where they are. With new management in place they are somewhat unknown.
Clare can make it difficult for anyone in the league, but unlikely to hit 2nd spot.

Any one of Derry, Cork, Kildare or Meath could finish 2nd.
But wouldn't be a massive shock either of Dublin slipped up in a few games and finished 2nd with one of those 4 taking top spot.
Ulster will be versus either Munster or Leinster this year. It goes in a 3 year cycle and Connacht was last year.

oakleaflad

Quote from: God14 on January 17, 2023, 12:46:13 PM
It is Gallaghers 4th season, until now the progression year on year has been tangible
It gets much harder from here on though.
Successive promotions, then stalled last year in Division 2... until Derry pulled off a major coup winning the Anglo Celt.
Defending Ulster will be difficult. The element of suprise is gone. Teams will be prepared now for the Donegal '12 tactics.
Derry wont be allowed to play on the counter attack so easily, plus the manic intensity evident last year is difficult to sustain
In order to maintain the trajectory into next season i think Gallagher really needs to get promoted.
I cant see anything other than Dublin winning Div2. So playing for second spot
Kildare is the only team i feel that will put that under threat.

Derry should get promoted, they have a proven defence and midfield.
Their options in the forward line appear to be improving with Niall Toner, Lachlan Murray & Ben McCarron starting the year well.

1st Dublin, 2nd Derry
I think that's lazy enough analysis.

On the 3 players mentioned - Toner has done well in the McKenna cup, Murray has been a bit up and down but obviously has talent and McCarron has been poor in a Derry jersey to be honest.