Armagh v Donegal (Sun 12th June, Clones, 4pm)

Started by illdecide, June 08, 2022, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

I don't like booing myself. It's not part of the GAA culture.  In the same way that sledging, goading, diving etc don't sit well with many. 

When Armagh supporters are getting a bit of flak here it usually means the team must be doing well.  Terms like 'buckfast brigade' and 'apple munchers' bring back warm, happy memories for me.
That's just, like your opinion man.

tonto1888

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 13, 2022, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 12:12:06 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 13, 2022, 12:00:36 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on June 13, 2022, 11:57:21 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 13, 2022, 11:50:40 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 12, 2022, 09:46:46 PM
Quote from: onefaircounty on June 12, 2022, 09:45:31 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 12, 2022, 07:23:59 PM
At the game I only heard two incidents of booing. Both for poor refereeing decisions.

You can't be serious? A large number of our fans booed reguarly on frees etc. It was embarrassing.

A sour note on a fantastic showing from Armagh fans. Big numbers and loud, just wish we'd leave the booing at home.
In fairness Murphy earned a few boos for the way he was carrying on.
I'm not a fan of the booing and it looked and sounded classless on TV but a friend at the match said Murphy was at all sorts with Forker and that caused the booing. Still though I'm embarrassed, and it appears the Buckfast Boys have come out of hibernation now that a couple of games have been won.
Noticed the booing with Armagh fans all year. Stupid behaviour from bandwagon fans. Donegal ones used to do it quiet a under Jim mcguinness but thankfully they seem to have cut it out.
Yeah not a fan of the booing myself but lost an awful lot of respect for Murphy yesterday. In fairness the buckfast brigade made the atmosphere I thought. And they fairly belted out the national anthem.

I'm not a fan of the booing but neither would I be getting too sanctimonious on it. There are enough drab games in gaelic football with no atmosphere where you can hear a pin drop with the sideways backwards crap. It's funny that it seems to be mostly Tyrone fans getting upset over it. Maybe they are just raging that they won an AI in front of a half empty Croke Park with no atmosphere.

Would take winning an AI in an empty stadium rather than having my supporters boo the opposition after winning a 2 games back to back after 8 years.

No point defending it. Booing isn't right in gaelic football, if you want to do that go watch a soccer game.

I assume you tell that to your own fans also?

Throw It Up Ref

The booing yesterday was disappointing and unfortunately it's dominating the talk when the 1st half yesterday was incredibly enjoyable from a neutral point of view. It was clear on the TV that Murphy was being booed when kicking frees and any wides he hit cheered. Also thought Rafferty was being booed for some reason. Would need to watch it back again.

On the game itself the 1st half was incredible. Armagh could have been dead and buried only for the 10 second goal. Donegal came at them like a train after it but Armagh did exceptionally well to weather that purple patch and take control of the game.

It was crazy stuff from Patton pulling Nugent down, he just completely panicked. Penalty from R'ON was exceptional. Great player he's up there with the best in the country.

Armagh controlled the second half well and never gave Donegal a sniff of momentum. They'll be more than a handful for Galway. I just hope they come out and go for like yesterday.

tyrone08

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 13, 2022, 12:37:24 PM
At the game I only heard two incidents of booing. Both for poor refereeing decisions.

You can't be serious? A large number of our fans booed reguarly on frees etc. It was embarrassing.

A sour note on a fantastic showing from Armagh fans. Big numbers and loud, just wish we'd leave the booing at home.
I'm not a fan of the booing and it looked and sounded classless on TV but a friend at the match said Murphy was at all sorts with Forker and that caused the booing. Still though I'm embarrassed, and it appears the Buckfast Boys have come out of hibernation now that a couple of games have been won.
Noticed the booing with Armagh fans all year. Stupid behaviour from bandwagon fans. Donegal ones used to do it quiet a under Jim mcguinness but thankfully they seem to have cut it out.
Yeah not a fan of the booing myself but lost an awful lot of respect for Murphy yesterday. In fairness the buckfast brigade made the atmosphere I thought. And they fairly belted out the national anthem.

I'm not a fan of the booing but neither would I be getting too sanctimonious on it. There are enough drab games in gaelic football with no atmosphere where you can hear a pin drop with the sideways backwards crap. It's funny that it seems to be mostly Tyrone fans getting upset over it. Maybe they are just raging that they won an AI in front of a half empty Croke Park with no atmosphere.

Would take winning an AI in an empty stadium rather than having my supporters boo the opposition after winning a 2 games back to back after 8 years.

No point defending it. Booing isn't right in gaelic football, if you want to do that go watch a soccer game.

Absolutely. Hate booing altogether. One of the best things about the gaa is that fans can mix in a stadium and not be segregated like soccer. We should all appreciate the skill involved and not have constant booing of players.

trailer

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 13, 2022, 01:26:10 PM

Absolutely. Hate booing altogether. One of the best things about the gaa is that fans can mix in a stadium and not be segregated like soccer. We should all appreciate the skill involved and not have constant booing of players.

Only a matter of time until the GAA come together and agree to put Armagh fans in a cattle pen.

Dabh

Quote from: trailer on June 13, 2022, 01:58:14 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on June 13, 2022, 01:26:10 PM

Only a matter of time until the GAA come together and agree to put Armagh fans in a cattle pen.

as far as i remember they discussed doing that a few years ago with Tyrone fans, but turned out a good dose of Ivermectin sorted the most of them

trueblue1234

Things back to normal again now after all the pleasantries last week. 😆

Good to see.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Donegal fans must be raging, a gutless performance. They always fail in the big tests. Armagh this year, Tyrone last year and then Cavan the year before. I'm afraid it is the Donegal of old. No heart for the battle.

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 13, 2022, 02:47:56 PM
Things back to normal again now after all the pleasantries last week. 😆

Good to see.
Yeah last week was strange alright.  ;) I'm sure you Tyrone men will be supporting ourselves and Derry in the quarters.

JoeSoap

Quote from: trailer on June 14, 2022, 09:38:36 AM
Donegal fans must be raging, a gutless performance. They always fail in the big tests. Armagh this year, Tyrone last year and then Cavan the year before. I'm afraid it is the Donegal of old. No heart for the battle.

I wouldn't count Tyrone last year to be honest. They battled really well considering Murphy missed the pen and was then sent off. Everyone says you take Murphy out of it and the team are nowhere, but considering the heat and everything they were excellent in that game until Tyrone pulled away in the final 10/15.

But to be honest we've never had a problem getting up for the battle against Tyrone. It's everything else we fail at. Sure even in 2020 we had a mighty battle with Tyrone in a storm in Ballybofey which we came out on top in, and then we go ahead and lose to Cavan. And in terms of finals, forget about it. I can't remember the last really tight game we won as a final. The two we've won under Bonner were blowouts.

J70

I don't know what it is. Are players intimidated by Murphy and think that everything has to go through him? Are they content to wait for him to be the one to lead them through when things are tight? If he is being held, are they afraid to stand up?

Looking at those recent games, and I'd include a game like Mayo in the league down in Sligo this year, we're fine if the other team stands off and let's us play. Its when they press up and bring the physical stuff that we seem to shirk the challenge, as if we're not used to it or ready for it. Sunday's game was changing even before Patton's mistakes. In the previous few minutes Armagh had really started to pressure Donegal on the kickouts, winning several in a row in the middle of the field. Which is obviously why Patton tried to go short, which Armagh were also ready for. In the earlier part of the game, we were winning everything in midfield, which left us able to move the ball quickly to men in space who were then able to take handy scores, even from distance. Once Armagh got to grips with us on the kickouts, that space was gone.

trailer

Quote from: JoeSoap on June 14, 2022, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 14, 2022, 09:38:36 AM

I wouldn't count Tyrone last year to be honest. They battled really well considering Murphy missed the pen and was then sent off. Everyone says you take Murphy out of it and the team are nowhere, but considering the heat and everything they were excellent in that game until Tyrone pulled away in the final 10/15.

But to be honest we've never had a problem getting up for the battle against Tyrone. It's everything else we fail at. Sure even in 2020 we had a mighty battle with Tyrone in a storm in Ballybofey which we came out on top in, and then we go ahead and lose to Cavan. And in terms of finals, forget about it. I can't remember the last really tight game we won as a final. The two we've won under Bonner were blowouts.

Was it 2018 Tyrone went up and pulled them apart in Super 8 game. I'm telling you it's the Donegal of old without the drink. They should just go out and get smashed at least they could blame that rather than their heartless attitude. McBreaty's entitlement at being taken off speaks volumes. Bonner has taken them backwards.

Fuzzman

Surprised not more discussion about McBrearty and Patton on the subs bench.
It looked like a proper blame game and McBrearty told him to go F##k himself or something like that

tyrone08

Still have no idea why patton is getting the blame. I have no love for him but the 2 passes were spot on, the defender fumbled the ball which allowed armagh players time to get the tackle in.

Patton didn't do anything wrong.

marty34

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 14, 2022, 04:48:24 PM
Still have no idea why patton is getting the blame. I have no love for him but the 2 passes were spot on, the defender fumbled the ball which allowed armagh players time to get the tackle in.

Patton didn't do anything wrong.

That's what I thought.  The kick outs were fine.  They went to their target.

Maybe it was the penalty but many's a keeper would have pulled the forward down or attempted to drag him down.  The forward was falling anyway.

Maybe he was given out about Patton going short twice in a row or something?