Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

See the Sunday Game were pitching to get this game played in Croke Park

ONeill

Really looking forward to this. A quare test of where Tyrone are.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on July 03, 2016, 11:14:01 PM
Really looking forward to this. A quare test of where Tyrone are.

Quote from: T Fearon on July 03, 2016, 08:27:25 PM
Tyrone conceded 5 goals in two games against Cavan.They would not be in the Ulster Final had they met either Donegal and Monaghan.The 2016 Ulster Final was played in Cavan last night.Tyrone have no chance of beating Donegal.
Quote from: T Fearon on July 03, 2016, 06:41:21 PM
Tyrone have no chance against Donegal.They ship far too many scores and will get no change from Donegal's mean defence

Game over I'm afraid.........for Donegal

babarino

Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Noted. WTF has it to do with them where it's played?

Mickey Harte hasn't spoken to them for years and they're putting words in his mouth about where the final should be played.

Fear ón Srath Bán

RTÉ desperately trying to be relevant, with their worst nightmare materialising before their eyes. Fcuk 'em, partitionist prats! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Rory Gallagher will have plenty of work to do to stop those Tyrone half-backs and forwards charging up the field, unchallenged, in gangs like they did against Cavan and Derry. And Donegal will have to ensure they don't carry the ball into contact and allow Tyrone the turnovers to counter attack so quickly.

Our third ever meeting in the Ulster Final.

One each so far:

1972 Donegal 2–13 Tyrone 1–11 (Donegal's first title)
1989    Tyrone 0–11 Donegal 0–11, replay Tyrone 2-13 Donegal 0–7

Of course, more recent history is on Donegal's side, with five wins in last seven championship meetings, and four in last five years.

Most of those games were tight though, and Tyrone are further on in or even past rebuilding, so its not like they have a huge gap to close.

Will be nervous for this one, as we don't really know how good Tyrone are. They could hammer us, or we might grind it out.

Could use Neil Gallagher back for this.

SkillfulBill

Really looking forward to this. At the moment I think most Tyrone people suspect that the current squad are the real deal after a few years in the wilderness. I know Tyrone have been in 2 All Ireland semi's in the last few years but I did not think that Tyrone supporters were overly convinced that the side could beat some of the bigger guns in those years. This year feels different and Donegal represents a massive step up for this side. If Tyrone can deal with what our friendly neighbours will dish out in a few weeks time and can come out on top they will hold no fear for anyone else in Croke park later in the year. This sides graduation day has to be an Ulster Final win over Donegal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Croke feckin Park! Will it not get enough games this year?

Redhand Santa

Set up for a brilliant final and a very hard one to call. Tyrone are going to be up against the best defence and most physical team they've faced this season. We look in great shape at the minute with runners and quality all over the pitch but this will be the acid test for the team. Its been years since we beat a top three or four team in the championship and this is definitely the best chance. An ulster title would give the players some confidence heading into the quarters.

I can't see it being moved out of Clones. There would be some logic in Croke Park though. The game is sure to attract massive interest and you could be turning away 15 to 20000 supporters by playing it in Clones. Also Croke Park is much more family friendly in terms of seating. But its hard to beat Clones on ulster final day.

yellowcard

I think the present Tyrone team are the only team capable of putting it up to and beating Dublin. Some of the scores seen yesterday were top drawer and their middle eight players are the best in the country. They are vulnerable in their full back line but I believe they will beat Donegal in the final and go and to reach an AI final. Are they good enough to beat Dublin? I think they are still on an upward curve and this year might be too early but I certainly believe that Harte has found another top level team. They have even cut out the cynicism and cheating, and this relatively positive PR that they have been receiving this year is always important when it comes to the tight matches. They have fought against a perceived wisdom that they were the source of all that was evil in gaelic football for a number of years (much of it warranted, some of it not) but this gradual change in opinion can do them no harm either.     

screenexile

At the start of the year I thought Donegal would beat Tyrone but after the Derry game I swung the other way and now I'm back to thinking Donegal will do it.

Tyrone are a good side but I think Donegal have the psychological advantage over the last few years and they have improved through their Championship games. Tyrone in fairness haven't played a team at Monaghan's level yet which will count against them. In reality they should have had Cavan out of sight in the first game which shows a bit of weakness on their part and Donegal's forwards will capitalise on that.

I reckon Donegal by 2.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 04, 2016, 08:40:06 AM
Set up for a brilliant final and a very hard one to call. Tyrone are going to be up against the best defence and most physical team they've faced this season. We look in great shape at the minute with runners and quality all over the pitch but this will be the acid test for the team. Its been years since we beat a top three or four team in the championship and this is definitely the best chance. An ulster title would give the players some confidence heading into the quarters.

I can't see it being moved out of Clones. There would be some logic in Croke Park though. The game is sure to attract massive interest and you could be turning away 15 to 20000 supporters by playing it in Clones. Also Croke Park is much more family friendly in terms of seating. But its hard to beat Clones on ulster final day.

I would much rather it was played in a jam packed clones than a half empty Croke park
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Meadbh

If it's a dry day, Tyrone will win this. Time for a new order in Ulster :)

Fuzzman

Relax folks about the talk of moving it to Croker.
The lads on RTE just mentioned that it would be a great game for the neutral to attend as it's been such a poor championship so far. They depend on Ulster for some entertainment this time of year so we can burn ourselves out before Kerry and Dublin walk into a semi-final on their home turf.

I think the exciting thing about this final is that it's hard to know what Tyrone will bring or where they are really at.
I think we've saw Donegal's hand quite clearly in the last 2 games v Monaghan although Monaghan's defence didn't look as tight as it usually does on the highlights I saw last night.

Tyrone though have beaten div 2 teams all year and whilst they tore Cavan to pieces yesterday after they scored their first goal, you know they also can struggle against a very tough defensive system or at least they have in the past. As many have said this team do seem different and like every year you don't know how good you are until you play against a top team.
Donegal's lack of discipline could be a worry as they continue to stretch the rules to the limit and get a man sent off (although usually in the last 10 mins) and I hope Tyrone don't get caught up in such stuff. I wonder will we see Justy marking Murphy again like he did last year in the first round. Lacey seems to be making a lot more mistakes this year but McGrath and McGlynn are playing very well.

I have a good feeling about Tyrone this year and am very excited how many scoring chances we are creating. In previous years we hardly ever created goal chances but this year we seem to be creating loads but then again maybe that's more to do with our opposition so far. I think it will be an intriguing final and it's a big difference that it's not a home match for Donegal. Croker would suit Tyrone better I think and it will be interesting to see does Mickey push for that.

Redhand Santa

Leinster final is on the same day so its highly unlikely to be in croke park. I couldn't see them coming to any arrangement to play a double header and fill it. As I said earlier its hard to beat the buzz of Clones on Ulster final day. Should be a great occasion. The losers likely to have to face Mayo or Monaghan if they lose which be a nightmare coming of a defeat.