Infrastructure

Started by Walter Cronc, April 07, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0407/780101-new-dublin-runway/

Perhaps a sign that things are on the up?

Started this thread to discuss all things infrastructure - road, rail, sustainability etc.

Hoping there are a few fellow geeks out there with an interest in this and not just myself :)

AZOffaly

Michael Healy Rae is your man.

Billys Boots

Is it just me that thinks it's strange/unsustainable to upgrade an airport without improving the (other) transport links to and from the airport in question?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

It sort of beggars belief that we don't have a light rail/dart line to the airport.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 07, 2016, 12:50:00 PM
Is it just me that thinks it's strange/unsustainable to upgrade an airport without improving the (other) transport links to and from the airport in question?

Good point BB. Is there a planned Luas from Dublin city centre to the airport? Crazy to think the Dublin - Belfast enterprise doesnt have a stop at the airport also. I think I read somewhere that a 'spur' of this line is planned but that may involve passengers getting on another line which is pointless.

The Subbie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 07, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Started this thread to discuss all things infrastructure - road, rail, sustainability etc.

Hoping there are a few fellow geeks out there with an interest in this and not just myself :)

Not a geek as such but having worked on two major projects at Dublin Airport I'm gonna throw it out here now, the DAA will make a f**k of it.
A more clumsy,inept, immature client than I have ever encountered.
At some stage someone is going to have to realise that a rail connection to Dublin airport is more important to its strategic development than another runway that's been built to increase footfall in T2.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 07, 2016, 12:53:13 PM

Good point BB. Is there a planned Luas from Dublin city centre to the airport? Crazy to think the Dublin - Belfast enterprise doesnt have a stop at the airport also. I think I read somewhere that a 'spur' of this line is planned but that may involve passengers getting on another line which is pointless.
Our transport Links to the airports in Ireland are shocking. none of the 3 main airports (dublin, belfast city, belfast international) have a rail link to them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 07, 2016, 12:58:25 PM

Our transport Links to the airports in Ireland are shocking. none of the 3 main airports (dublin, belfast city, belfast international) have a rail link to them.

Or Shannon, or Cork. Both Big International Airports, with no rail links. It's a very strange omission.

The Subbie

Sorry Walter & AZ , had my reply typed as you had yours posted.

Both bang on lads.

When I worked at the construction of Pier D I seen the concept plans for the proposed rail stop, it was to be located over by the old Aer Lingus offices, roughly where the new car park is now I think( Last time I was there was nearly 2 years ago) that was a circa 400 metre walk to either terminal, lunacy at the time which was 2006!
Fast forward 3 years and it was proposed to underground it and build it more or less in the space between the Clarion hotel ( or whatever it's called now) and the new T2, more lunacy in that the walk to the old T1 would be now circa 700 metres.

So now rather than take the heads out of the sand and face the real issue of long term access to an obviously expanding international transport hub they choose to embark on another vanity project.

The DAA truly are wankers.

armaghniac

Quote from: The Subbie on April 07, 2016, 12:56:54 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 07, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Not a geek as such but having worked on two major projects at Dublin Airport I'm gonna throw it out here now, the DAA will make a f**k of it.
A more clumsy,inept, immature client than I have ever encountered.
At some stage someone is going to have to realise that a rail connection to Dublin airport is more important to its strategic development than another runway that's been built to increase footfall in T2.

DAA are probably no worse than the other bodies and while they can build the runway, they cannot build the transport links.

The airport was/is to be connected by Metro North, however this plan was allowed lapse and will now be redesigned again, and will not be built until long after this runway. Likewise the vital DART Underground scheme has been allowed lapse and will have to go back to the drawing board. Now I know some of these project may have had to be delayed in the recession, but the design work should have continued so that they could have been launched immediately when funds allowed. The government can issue 100 year bonds at 2%, get on with it.

But nobody cares about the long term, they just want free water today.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I'd have thought Iarnroid Eireann would be going mad for this. It would have to be a money maker. Imagine the handiness of being able to hop on a train in Tralee, and get off at Dublin Airport. (Of course that means a Luas to Connolly, but it's better than nothing!

general_lee

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 07, 2016, 12:58:25 PM

Belfast International has a fully functional railway yards from the terminal. Powers that be seem to prefer buses on the roads though so it's a non starter.

Billys Boots

QuoteDAA are probably no worse than the other bodies and while they can build the runway, they cannot build the transport links.

But why would the 'planning' authorities allow them to extend a poorly-serviced airport in the absence of authorised transport infrastructure.  Have we/they learned nothing? 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

StephenC

Please, please, can we build high-quality Dual Carriageways or Motorways between the major population centers in Ireland.
Everything has to start with the road network.

Walter Cronc

Apologies to any Lurgan posters but is it not time to run the Belfast - Dublin line via Newry, especially with the continual closures on the line. It's something like 2.5 hours from Dublin to Belfast. Jesus you can get from London to Manchester in 1.30 minutes!