Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Conor McKenna taking Michael McGleenan to Oz with him to play the old rules!

God14

Quote from: superstar_ on November 03, 2022, 10:15:44 AM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on September 02, 2022, 04:08:25 PM
Last year's panel of 45 (ages they will be at start of 2023)

32 - Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly
31 - Niall Morgan, Darragh McAnenly, Ronan McNamee
30 - Niall Sludden, Richie Donnelly, Padraig McNulty

29 - Darren McCurry, Johnny Munroe
28 - Padraig Hampsey, Rory Brennan, Kieran McGeary, Conor Meyler
27 - Frank Burns, Cathal McShane, Sean Loughran

26 - Michael O'Neill, Ben McDonnell, Conor McKenna, Niall Kelly
25 - Michael McKernan, Conn Kilpatrick, Liam Rafferty, Nathan Donnelly, Ryan Coleman, Peter Teague
24 - Brian Kennedy, Conor Shields, Ryan McCusker, Emmett McNabb

23 - Liam Nugent
22 - Darragh Canavan, Cormac Munroe, Conor Quinn, Michael Conroy, Lorcan Quinn, Matthew Murnaghan, Joe Oguz
21 - Cormac Quinn, Rory Donnelly

20 - Niall Devlin, Steve Donaghy, Michael McGleenan
19 - Ruairi Canavan
Conor McKenna returning to Australia. Ben McDonnell is going travelling.

Lot of dead wood around the panel looking at that list.

Will Richie Donnelly and Padraig McNulty bother to continue giving their injury record?
Is there much point in Johnny Munroe and Sean Loughran continuing to commit given their age and standing in the squad?
Are the likes of Matthew Murnaghan, Liam Nugent, Ryan Coleman, Conor Shields and Ryan McCusker wasting their time remaining on the squad for McKenna cup appearences?

Good post.

It feels odd in that we won the All Ireland 14 months ago, but generally a substantial rebuild of the squad feels inevitable & increasingly required.
We have a fantastic pool of talent in the county currently I feel between 17 – 21 age bracket, as good as anytime since 1997-2001.  But its still too soon for the core of that group to be considered for Division 1 Senior Intercounty football.
My hopes for next year would be :
1.   Canavan Bros to stay fit.
2.   Ruairi & Conor Cush to concentrate on U20's – join senior set up once the U20's is complete.
3.   Recall for David Mulgrew, Ardboe. Call up for Nathan McCarron, Dromore. Opportunities for both in McKenna & NFL alongside Emmett McNabb, Peter Teague, Joe Oguz and Galballys Conor Quinn.   
Out of those 8 players you would hope 3 or maybe even 4 would really grasp the chance and make the step up to first teamers

RedHand88

square_ball

I think the ship has sailed at u20s for Ruairi Canavan. He's already starred and won at that level and now is one of the main men with the county champions. I think he would learn more being involved in the senior set up from the word go this year particularly as we were very short on forward options last year.

You would definitely be hoping a few of the fringe players can take it up another level this year. The likes of Conor Quinn, Peter Teague, Joe Oguz, Rory Donnelly, Emmett McNabb all had good club championships. I seen a right bit of the club championship at every level and I would say that we have the best players in the county already involved.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: square_ball on November 03, 2022, 12:32:44 PM
I think the ship has sailed at u20s for Ruairi Canavan. He's already starred and won at that level and now is one of the main men with the county champions. I think he would learn more being involved in the senior set up from the word go this year particularly as we were very short on forward options last year.

You would definitely be hoping a few of the fringe players can take it up another level this year. The likes of Conor Quinn, Peter Teague, Joe Oguz, Rory Donnelly, Emmett McNabb all had good club championships. I seen a right bit of the club championship at every level and I would say that we have the best players in the county already involved.
Completely agree. Also think it would be more beneficial to the U20s to play without him. More than capable of winning it without Canavan and it will mean others will have to step up.

RoundBall

Looks like provisional league fixtures are as follows:

Round 1: Sunday January 29th
Tyrone v Roscommon away.

Round 2: Sat Feb 4th/Sun Feb 9th
Tyrone v Donegal home.

Round 3: Sat Feb 17th/ Sun Feb 18th.
Tyrone v Galway home.

Round 4: Sat Feb 25th/Sun Feb 26th.
Tyrone v Mayo away.

Round 5: Sat March 4th/Sun March 5th.
Tyrone v Kerry home.

Round 6: Sat March 18th/Sun March 19th.
Tyrone v Monaghan away.

Round 7: Sunday March 26th.
Tyrone v Armagh home.
An Ríocht Uí Néill

laceer

Peter Donnelly stepping away from seniors according to Irish News.

tyrone08

Think tyrone will struggle over the next few years. Need to do some rebuilding with some of the senior members naturally stepping away in the next year or so. Need a big year from mcshane next year if there is any hope of staying competitive.

trailer

Quote from: tyrone08 on November 06, 2022, 01:18:26 PM
Think tyrone will struggle over the next few years. Need to do some rebuilding with some of the senior members naturally stepping away in the next year or so. Need a big year from mcshane next year if there is any hope of staying competitive.

Agree with McShane. If he can't hold a place in the team, you have think he's not going to ever be that consistent threat that we need.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: trailer on November 07, 2022, 11:09:30 AM

Agree with McShane. If he can't hold a place in the team, you have think he's not going to ever be that consistent threat that we need.
I don't see a place in my strongest Tyrone team for McShane. I see Tyrone's strongest forward line as being Conor Meyler, Darragh Canavan, Niall Sludden, Darren McCurry, Mattie Donnelly and Ruairi Canavan. I think McShanes best role is his 2021 role coming into games as an impact.

My team would look something like:
Niall Morgan
Michael McKernan Ronan McNamee Padraig Hampsey
Frank Burns Peter Harte Kieran McGeary
Brian Kennedy Conn Kilpatrick
Conor Meyler Darragh Canavan Niall Sludden
Darren McCurry Mattie Donnelly Ruairi Canavan

Would love to see Peter Teague, Aidan Clarke, Emmett McNabb and Joe Oguz put together good league campaigns and then be in a position to offer something to the team come championship.

trailer

Quote from: GaelTheGael on November 07, 2022, 11:24:33 AM

I don't see a place in my strongest Tyrone team for McShane. I see Tyrone's strongest forward line as being Conor Meyler, Darragh Canavan, Niall Sludden, Darren McCurry, Mattie Donnelly and Ruairi Canavan. I think McShanes best role is his 2021 role coming into games as an impact.

Niall Morgan

Would love to see Peter Teague, Aidan Clarke, Emmett McNabb and Joe Oguz put together good league campaigns and then be in a position to offer something to the team come championship.

Not sure about Mattie. Brilliant player but he's the wrong age now.

trueblue1234

Bit harsh on McShane, no? I can understand he's been off the pace the last two years but he still have the raw ability and physical attributes to be a real wrecking ball up front. If fully fit and gets back to some sort of form he's an automatic starter for me.

Think it's a bit early to think Ruairi will be starting. More likely he will play the sub role rather than McShane. Give him time and ease the pressure.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: trailer on November 07, 2022, 12:06:49 PM
Quote from: GaelTheGael on November 07, 2022, 11:24:33 AM

Niall Morgan

Not sure about Mattie. Brilliant player but he's the wrong age now.

He is the same age as Peter Harte.

Onthe40

I thin Joe Oguz could break into a half fwd role in that setup, great potential