Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joxer

From Hoganstand:

Casement Park could be transformed into an all-seater stadium if ambitious plans to redevelop the Belfast venue are given the green light.

Northern Ireland Sports Minister Nelson McCausland is expected to provide a paper to the Stormont Executive recommending the multi-million euro redevelopment of Casement Park along with Belfast's other main sporting grounds, Windsor Park and Ravenhill, in the coming days.

The GAA, IFA and IRFU will all make a financial contribution to their respective projects. Under the proposed plan, Casement Park would be razed to the ground and developed into a 40,000 all-seater stadium which could become the future home for the Ulster football final.

"We have gone through a rigorous process, a very detailed process by an independent consultant, and it has now been accepted so it does stack up," Ulster Council president Aogan Farrell told The Irish Daily Star.

"We wouldn't be in this game only we felt it's a development that's needed."

Believe it when I see it.  Would be great to see and great for the GAA,  but wouldn't trust McCausland as far as I could throw him regarding this.  He'll throw a spanner in the works yet.

Minder

Are there not enough redeveloped, seldom used grounds around Ireland? Would there be enough games for a 40,000 Casement ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Minder, this is money that has been set aside for the Maze project.

If Casement isnt redeveloped then the money will be lost to the GAA completely. Soccer and Rugby are getting their share, so if it is money that is already there that we have paid for in taexs then why not have it spent on Casement.

Thats not to say the rights and wrongs of the overall idea to build 3 stadiums for these 3 sports in a province the size that it is.

Banana Man

I have no problem with redveloping casement, as someone else said the money will be lost if not used up but I owuld have a problem taking Ulster Finals out of clones.

There is just something specal about ulster final day in Clones, I never liked going to casement but would be a great venue for Antrim gaels and fair play and good luck to them with it

Oldhacker

There is nothing new about this. The general plans of the Ulster Council have been discussed openly for many years. It will only reach the crucial stage when the money is agreed.

ziggysego

The money is there for the taking, I say take it. Especially from the Tories.
Testing Accessibility

Rois

But will it require a bigger GAA monetary commitment than a simple refurb of Casement without drastic work?  Because if the GAA has to spend more than it would spend without the Maze money then we'll be out of pocket for something we don't need. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rois on October 06, 2010, 04:45:43 PM
But will it require a bigger GAA monetary commitment than a simple refurb of Casement without drastic work?  Because if the GAA has to spend more than it would spend without the Maze money then we'll be out of pocket for something we don't need.
Can't agree, Clones is hard to get to and out of a nice new Casement would be welcome.

MCMLX

Quote from: Banana Man on October 06, 2010, 03:12:18 PM
I have no problem with redveloping casement, as someone else said the money will be lost if not used up but I owuld have a problem taking Ulster Finals out of clones.

There is just something specal about ulster final day in Clones, I never liked going to casement but would be a great venue for Antrim gaels and fair play and good luck to them with it

I`d much rather travel to Belfast to a game than to Clones. Clones is a dive, full of drunks, it seems to bring out the worst in our youth and in many cases those who should have a bit more cop on. You dont get that in Casement. You can be back on the motorway within minutes after a game in Casement, you`ll spend hours trying to get out of a muddy field in Clones. Casement is long overdue this revamp, it cant  happen soon enough.

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Banana Man on Today at 03:12:18 PM

I`d much rather travel to Belfast to a game than to Clones. Clones is a dive, full of drunks, it seems to bring out the worst in our youth and in many cases those who should have a bit more cop on. You dont get that in Casement. You can be back on the motorway within minutes after a game in Casement, you`ll spend hours trying to get out of a muddy field in Clones. Casement is long overdue this revamp, it cant  happen soon enough.

I'm the opposite MCMLX, must be a sadist or something in me but i love the fact that it is a full day out when you head to clones, the banter with everyone cause you leave early to get parked up etc and spend the return journey dissecting who was sh!te  :D

armaghniac

Casement wouldn't be easy to get out of if there were 40,000 there either, especially if they are all heading on the M1.

In any case there has to be a doubt over this money in the present environment, the only thing pushing it is the semi derelict state of Windsor Park. With cuts to hospitals, schools and roads etc coming down the line it is hard to spend so much on a stadium.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Worker

Dougal Maguire

Anyone seen any plans or concept drawings of the proposed finished article?
Careful now

Maguire01

Quote from: MCMLX on October 06, 2010, 04:51:32 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on October 06, 2010, 03:12:18 PM

Has there ever been 35,000 people at a game in Casement? Difficult to make any valid comparison, but it has taken me a good while to get out onto the motorway after matches with 20,000 people.

RadioGAAGAA

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I, and plenty of others don't want to sit and watch matches. Is this really so complicated for the hierarchy to understand?  ???
i usse an speelchekor