Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hows she cutting

I wouldn't write off Errigal

They've proven in the past they are more than a match for anyone in Ulster club football.

I would certainly rather be in Errigals position going into the game than Ballinderry's. A 14 point win last week won't have done them many favours and you can be sure O'Rourke will have his homework done on them.

Fuzzman

Over the years Tyrone are well known for always having some very talented forwards and maybe not such a good defence.

However, I've noticed in recently the opposite seems to be taking place were we seem to have loads of good defenders coming through but how many oustanding forwards.

Yes Stevie O'Neill and hopefully Brian McGuigan will be our main men in 2007 if fit but who else will be our star forwards. Who will make it through these trials that can actually be a top forward?

Mugsy            Hot and cold - Depends who is supporting him.
Mulgrew         Still young and very light weight. Hasn't done it as yet.
Cavlan            Always injured
Penrose          Has potential but rarely delivered
E.McGinley      Great engine but often injured
Dooher           Still out injured and may soon retire
Mellon            Hot and cold

snappiered

Looks like the Errigal Ballinderry game is not going to go ahead now. Was looking forward to it. What will be the outcome of Enniskillens appeal? Its sad that football has come to this. The Tyrone Championship final was threatened by a High Court Injunction, then the Tyrone League final was subject to appeals and now this. Are we going to end up playing our Football in the Court rooms?

Elias

Looks like it.

Enniskillen have to prove at tomorrows hearing that McDermott effected the final score in last weekends game when he should have been sent off in the first half, it seems.

And if that doesn't work they will approach the high court to get an injunction to stop Sunday's match from going ahead.

What a f**king farce.

I'm sure the ref's apparent mistake wasn't deliberate, all these proceedings just taint the Championship, IMO  >:(

oneillcup2007

Enniskillen are only playing the same ball game as other teams have been at this year.  In Tyrone to achieve success you are going to need a no 15 whos a barrister shortly.  Sportsmanship will disappear very shortly from our games.  On another factual incident:
1) Forward hits marker off the ball. 
2) referee awards free kick to attacking team still unaware of incident.  Umpire raises flag and walks 2 yards onto field.  Opposition stops.
3) Unmarked Forward runs for quick free kick slots the goal past umpire and Goalkeeper (umpire still on field of play)
4) Referee consults with umpire sends goalscorer off, then allows goal and 14 man team wins by 3 points. 
A club team was eliminated from the senior championship several years ago because of this scenario. Can any body remember this? How far would the board members go on this one?  I think Id be looking damages for defamation, incarceration and a replay.  Id throw the book.

DuperDee

However, I've noticed in recently the opposite seems to be taking place were we seem to have loads of good defenders coming through but how many oustanding forwards.

Yes Stevie O'Neill and hopefully Brian McGuigan will be our main men in 2007 if fit but who else will be our star forwards. Who will make it through these trials that can actually be a top forward?

THe shortage of forwards was shown last year when you had the likes of Aidy Ball and dermie carlin put on in the forward line. They are just not county forwards. Dermi carlin is a good defender and Ball is not up to county standard.

Getting good forwards is still a problem. Harte missed the chance to clear out his bench last year after 2005 and bring in some new players. They might not have made it but they were at least wotrh a try. If you thik what McCarron was able to offer in the McKenna Cup surely he was more use to the team than the likes of Bradley, Gavin Devlin Brendan Donnelly etc.

When you think about it the team did not look fit last year. McCullagh when he rejoined the panel looked fitter and sharper than any of the other panel. You have to think about the training they were doing.  I know a number of the players were not too happy with the quality of training last year. They said it was not intense enough and they felt unfit. Those i talked to said there was the same problem the previous year but because they had 10 games they eventually got fit. Unfortunately with injuries and an early end ot the season they cannot build on last years fitness

I thinl not only does Harte need to clear out the bench of those players who have been there from the previous 2005 success he also needs to look at his backroom team. I know he puts a lotta faith in his friends and neighbours but he now must look outside that circle and make radical changes.

What do others think? Who should be in the McKenna Cup Panel - excluding the college biys?

oneillcup2007

I genuinely believe that there are not 5 all Irelands in this Tyrone team, but there may be a third.  Like every 2 all Ireland winning team, they have nothing more to prove, nor owe anyone anything,  however the players that will win a third all Ireland for Tyrone will be the new men in or the new impact subs.  We need 1 maybe 2 new midifelders, we need cover at corner full and centre half back / We could unfortunately need 2/3 or a complete rebuilding of a half forward line that has been arguably our most important line over 2 all ireland wins.  Unfortuanely Im with Harte on this one.  Tyrone may need to put Cavanagh in wing half forward in order to keep this line strong particularly if Dooher / Mc guigan struggle to make the level and there is no guarantee that this will be the case.  We also need surprises from somehwhere (Mc Ginn) .  If we do what we done 2 years ago and are not quite as good at it we will not win a third all ireland,  other teams are at least at that level now.  We need to raise our own bar again.  Under Mickey Harte anything is possible, but I still have Tyrone at 4th favourites for 2007, behind, Kerry, Mayo Dublin and about level with Armagh.  I think we are in a worse situation than when we started out in 2005.  There are serious doubts but also serious hopes and sept next year will be time enough for them to be answered.       

4everGAA

oooh another carrickmore V errigal ciaran derby....
hmmm my money s on carrickmore... hungry for an honour this year
If it doesnt matter who wins the game, then why do they keep the score?

Gabriel_Hurl

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6162172.stm

QuoteEnniskillen Gaels' appeal relating to an Errigal Ciaran player who was booked twice but allowed to stay on was rejected on Saturday.
Damien McDermott was shown a yellow card on two occasions in last Sunday's Ulster club quarter-final but referee Gregory Walsh did not send him off.

The Fermanagh side have decided not to take the matter any further.

Errigal won the game by a single point and will now play Ballinderry on Sunday at Casement Park in Belfast.

Redhandfan

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 18, 2006, 05:35:36 PM
O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 2 Promotion Play-Off
Strabane 0-2 Dungannon 2-12

That is some result for the Clarkes!!!  Their next game against Moortown should be quite a battle....senior status is at stake and I have a sneaking suspicion Dungannon might just pull it off.
Poor Strabane....a season that promised so much has ended in total disappointment.  Beaten in the championship final....pipped by Derrylaughan for the league title....and now hammered in the promotion play-offs. 

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 17, 2006, 01:42:57 PM
Who will make it through these trials that can actually be a top forward?

There are a number of new forwards who could emerge next year to make an impression for Tyrone at senior inter-county level.  Colm Cavanagh (Moy), Niall McGinn (Donaghmore) and Gareth Devlin (Stewartstown) are just three players who could shine on the big stage if given a chance.  Justin McMahon (Omagh) is an attacking midfielder who has been scoring heavily for Omagh this year and could also benefit Tyrone in the scoring department in 2007. 

Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore), Tommy McGuigan (Ardboe), Des Tracey (Kildress), Damian Meenan (Killyclogher), Caolan Tierney (Errigal Ciaran), Cathal McCarrron (Omagh), Niall Gormley (Trillick), Peter Armour (Stewartstown), Paul Rouse (Brackaville), Kevin Coary (Derrylaughan), Ciaran Donnelly (Brocagh) and Cathal O'Neill (Derrytresk) are other forwards who scored heavily and impressed for their clubs this year.  It is hard to say, though, if any of them could cause a stir at senior inter-county level.

Quote from: hows she cutting on November 17, 2006, 09:58:09 AM
I wouldn't write off Errigal

They've proven in the past they are more than a match for anyone in Ulster club football.

I would certainly rather be in Errigals position going into the game than Ballinderry's. A 14 point win last week won't have done them many favours and you can be sure O'Rourke will have his homework done on them.

I agree....good luck to Errigal!

Fuzzman

Did Eoin Gormley retire from the Tyrone panel before Mickey came or was he dropped?

Would he still not be worth his place?

hows she cutting

not consistent enough

did you see him in the 1st county final?
didn't play in the replay

great player on his day, i remember a few years ago he started ff against Down in 1st round of USFC, he was unstoppable that day

Over the Bar

Eoin Gormley left the Tyrone panel a long time before MH took over.

He didnt play in the county final replay because he was injured in the drawn game!

Over the Bar

A prototype of the most phenomenal scoring machine ever witnessed is currently being developed... can't say more than that at present. :-X

lordylordy

Hey Fionntamhnach any idea when the senior ladies league final is? or where in or anything - since you seem to be the fountain of knowledge knocking about here  ;D, thanks!!