Top 10 forwards of past 40 years - a Board poll - Open until 21st April 2017

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 15, 2017, 05:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 21, 2017, 04:49:49 PM
Not staying long enough at the top is why I wouldn't pick Donnellan ahead of Joyce but 4 years he was arguably the best player in the county but with injuries etc he disappeared from the top level all too soon.

The title is top forwards, not longest career forwards. I'd separate the two by saying one was a great player while the other had a great career. Being so brilliant you drove your team to two AIs and three finals is something I value higher than lasting for 15 years because the later takes a lot of luck as much as anything else and that's hardly a good criteria to judge a player's greatness on.

I see a lot of similarities between Joyce and Cillian O'Connor in Mayo. A bit limited physically but a very good free-taker and good under pressure. Difference is if O'Connor doesn't get the AIs Joyce did he'll never be within an ass's roar of these sorts of lists.

What did Joyce have that O'Connor doesn't? A midfield? Nope. A good defence? Nope. He had Michael Donnellan, a once in a generation talent, right there beside him up front.

I think a few players could fill Joyce's role on those AI-winning teams but maybe only Fitzgerald and Gooch could have filled Donnellan's role and even then I don't think either had his raw athleticism.

The Stallion

O'Connor is possibly the most overrated forward in the country in my opinion. I have seen nothing to suggest he is or will ever be a genuine top class inter-county forward.  Andy Moran is twice the footballer albeit he doesn't have the legs for it these days.

thewobbler

If it was up to me it'd be

Joyce by a clear head, then
Donnellan by a length or two
Then McDonald.

Joyce was a pretty complete inside forward. On an off day he was dangerous, and when on form was basically unplayable.

Donnellan was an extraordinary athlete, right up there among the best in history. But he had a bit of tunnel vision going forward, always looking to kick it 70 yards.

McDonald is probably the most eye catching CHF I've ever seen, but the reality is that he was eye catching because 8 times out of 10 he was playing the wrong type of ball into full-forwards, I.e the spiralling 70 yarder off the outstep that looks wonderful but is a feckin nightmare for a full forward as it hangs in the air that long you'll have 2 defenders on you by the time it lands. Give me Brian McGuigan at 11 every day and any day.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Stallion on April 21, 2017, 05:01:44 PM
O'Connor is possibly the most overrated forward in the country in my opinion. I have seen nothing to suggest he is or will ever be a genuine top class inter-county forward.  Andy Moran is twice the footballer albeit he doesn't have the legs for it these days.

Luckily he knows this, has no airs or graces. Works hard for the team. A decent place kicker and penalty taker. And takes no sh1t.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 21, 2017, 04:49:49 PM
Not staying long enough at the top is why I wouldn't pick Donnellan ahead of Joyce but 4 years he was arguably the best player in the county but with injuries etc he disappeared from the top level all too soon.

Donnellan was electrifying. He reminds me of the song "the whole of the moon".

Joyce was solid and had great vision. We were so lucky to have them at the same time.
They are still remembered in auctioneer signs all over Galway.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 21, 2017, 03:49:23 PM
Interestingly I used to ask lots of people if they could chose only one from Dooher and ONeill, most people chose Dooher.

If you'd a pack of lazy hoors in the team you'd have Dooher. If you'd no one to kick the ball over the bar, you'd have O'Neill.

Lucky to have the two.

Gun to the head I'd have O'Neill. You'd train 3 players into the ground to do Dooher's job. You can't teach what O'Neill did.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Insane o Neill. I thought you knew better.
My apologies on omitting donellan and Joyce from the chasing pack. Tyrone would not have won an all Ireland in 05 without o Neill. they would not have won any of the 3 without dooher. Dooher  had also a better final in 05 than o Neill on his best year. Oneill was ravaged by injury and was the best angled point taker I ever seen on a pitch. He was better than linden Mc Cartan Joyce et all. But dooher would have won any gatherup an all Ireland. He was madly driven and tyrone will never hAve another more focussed.

ONeill

We're not talking about key players on a team. This is a thread for the top 10 forwards of the last 40 years. One of your players might never have won a thing, but, in your eyes, he gave you the most enjoyment. That's how I read it. I really wouldn't get too excited by it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.