Who will stop this Dublin team from 4, 5, 6 or more in a row?

Started by Muck Savage, September 19, 2017, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2017, 09:23:56 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 21, 2017, 09:16:25 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 20, 2017, 11:45:39 PM
Home advantage counts in every sport. To think different contravenes every known published article on it. Croke Park is a massive advantage to Dublin and that shouldn't be even up for debate.
Sure look at all the talk about Tottenham and their troubles at Wembley given it's their "home" for this season while WHL is rebuilt, from a stat I seen the other day apparently they haven't beaten an English club there in 90 minutes in their last 17/18 games. It ought to improve as the season goes on but it does show like with West Ham last year (though at least Spurs have a decent team) how the lack of or unfamiliarity of home advantage can affect a team.

Of itself it shouldn't make a massive difference but I genuinely cannot understand how Dublin are allowed play all their home league games there, and the Leinster semi-final this year when it was a standalone tie, wouldn't have altered the outcome in fairness, but would Carlow have given Dublin the challenge they did for 50-odd minutes up to Murphy's sending off were that game in CP? Possibly not. The league games should be in Parnell and all Leinster games up to the final at a neutral venue like with the hurling.

€€€

Correct Syferis

larryin89

Lol at totally ignoring this , ill go again.

It has nothing to do with anything other than the super8s next year.

How can you justify this new format , one home one away and one neutral but dublins home ground is actually the neutral ground too. This cannot be wrote into competition guidelines , its totally unfair and nonsensical in wording. It can be challenged if the desire was there amongst other counties.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Anyone who thinks the Dubs can go on indefinitely should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgoPvOQPdfQ

Cody won 11 all Irelands..6 more than the Dubs . And Kilkenny are now shite.
The defence is Division 2 standard. They wouldn't be as good as Cavan even. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcq_xLi2NGo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

The simple answer is Mayo will stop Dublin.

Then some other team will beat Mayo in the final  ;)

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 19, 2017, 11:12:41 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on September 19, 2017, 10:11:28 PM
Kerry will eventually, Mayo maybe might get one more chance, everyone else have no hope.
That's how I see it also. From what some who have seen Dublin's Blue Wave  blueprint, three out of every five is the objective and that is about the number we can expect for the foreseeable future. Unless there are great social and political changes in near to immediate term future, the Dubs can be expected to meet this objective or better it.
The economic system will have the mother and father of a crash within the next few years

Hound

Home advantage counts in every sport. To think different contravenes every known published article on it. Croke Park is a massive advantage to Dublin and that shouldn't be even up for debate.
If Kildare get to the Super 8, they'll probably nominate Croke Park as their home venue!

mup

Quote from: Hound on September 21, 2017, 03:04:19 PM
If Kildare get to the Super 8, they'll probably nominate Croke Park as their home venue!

Will we be allowed to use Dublins dressing room? Or warm up in front of Hill 16?

Hound

Quote from: Muck Savage on September 19, 2017, 09:06:33 PM
The biggest questions I had after the game is who will stop Dublin from going 4, 5 or even 6 in a row? And when will that be?
Kerry with their 4 minors should start to see some of the talent flow through to Senior so my guess is they will be the team to stop them. Mayo, while I'd love to see them back I don't know how they same group of lads keep going to the well. Is there another run in them?
Other counties need to get their act togather. Absolutely no reason why Kildare, Meath, Galway and Cork aren't as good as Mayo (and I'm talking about semi final and final Mayo). Then we'd have a great All Ireland series every year. Probably a couple of the Ulster counties should be a bit better too.

Also, there's no doubt that Mayo players work harder on the pitch than any players in the above named counties. I don't know why that it is, but no reason for the other counties not to have the same work rate that Mayo have.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Hound on September 21, 2017, 03:10:26 PM
The biggest questions I had after the game is who will stop Dublin from going 4, 5 or even 6 in a row? And when will that be?
Kerry with their 4 minors should start to see some of the talent flow through to Senior so my guess is they will be the team to stop them. Mayo, while I'd love to see them back I don't know how they same group of lads keep going to the well. Is there another run in them?
Other counties need to get their act togather. Absolutely no reason why Kildare, Meath, Galway and Cork aren't as good as Mayo (and I'm talking about semi final and final Mayo). Then we'd have a great All Ireland series every year. Probably a couple of the Ulster counties should be a bit better too.

Also, there's no doubt that Mayo players work harder on the pitch than any players in the above named counties. I don't know why that it is, but no reason for the other counties not to have the same work rate that Mayo have.

Completely agree. Galway (who have beaten Mayo for the past two years) and Roscommon (if they stick with McStay and perhaps coax one or two of the dissenters back) should be stronger next year. Similarly Cork and Kildare.  Tyrone and Kerry will be back again and there could be a bolter or two from the pack. Dublin appear unbeatable but Mayo have proven that they can be beaten if a team is brave and confident enough to engage them on their own terms. It time for the era of fear to end. Teams need to dispense with blanket defenses and trust in their own ability.

seafoid

It doesn't happen overnight  . Teams have to learn how to win  . Then they have to play a semifinal. Then they have to win one  It takes a while. Mayo have been on the go sInce 2011. They have matured. Kildare have one good year behind them. Galway have maybe 2. Tyrone had more but they crashed badly.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on September 21, 2017, 03:06:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 21, 2017, 03:04:19 PM

Will we be allowed to use Dublins dressing room? Or warm up in front of Hill 16?

No.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2017, 07:29:09 AM
Sure but what % difference does it make? GAA has different fan dynamics to soccer. Maybe they can't be compared.

Also this Dub team looks very like Cody pomp Kilkenny.  Will Kildare be ready for the fall or can we expect more of the battered wife commentary indefinitely?

In soccer it's worth 0.6 of a goal.
In NFL is 2.8 points.
In AFL it's 7 points.
In NBA it's 2.33 points
In Super Rugby it's worth 5 & 10 points if International Travel involved.

So based on the above I would say Croke is worth 2/3 points to Dublin, enough to win 4 All-Irelands by a point...

As for a Kildare being a battered wife, a bit of a crude analogy do you not think? It's not the physical beatings it's the lack of support from outside the province and indeed the narrative that Leinster is sh*t and Meath/Kildare must do better that's probably done more harm as people just ignored the evidence to the contrary until now.

#newbridgeornowhere

mouview

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 21, 2017, 03:32:23 PM

Completely agree. Galway (who have beaten Mayo for the past two years) and Roscommon (if they stick with McStay and perhaps coax one or two of the dissenters back) should be stronger next year. Similarly Cork and Kildare.  Tyrone and Kerry will be back again and there could be a bolter or two from the pack. Dublin appear unbeatable but Mayo have proven that they can be beaten if a team is brave and confident enough to engage them on their own terms. It time for the era of fear to end. Teams need to dispense with blanket defenses and trust in their own ability.

Galway have enough forward power to trouble Dublin, but haven't the midfield, backs or manager to contest it with them. Division I should show them how to consistently play against the better teams, but the defence needs 4 new players at least from this year.

Syferus

Quote from: mouview on September 22, 2017, 01:49:29 PM

Galway have enough forward power to trouble Dublin, but haven't the midfield, backs or manager to contest it with them. Division I should show them how to consistently play against the better teams, but the defence needs 4 new players at least from this year.

I'm sure Jim Gavin is quaking in his boots at the prospect of Danny Cummins kicking his fifth wide of the match next spring.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 22, 2017, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 22, 2017, 01:49:29 PM

I'm sure Jim Gavin is quaking in his boots at the prospect of Danny Cummins kicking his fifth wide of the match next spring.

No more so than he is at the thoughts of any Roscommon player in the super 8s i'd imagine........