Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Joeythelips on April 27, 2017, 11:40:52 AM
Wow, hard to pass proper comment as I did not see the game and therefore the incident but when I read comments like " It is believed the player involved had his helmet removed before he received a blow to the head which rendered him unconscious" in the newspaper it tells me this kind of thing really needs to be stamped out once and for all in the GAA. Serious action is needed and Gardai should certainly be involved. In fairness to the county board they have come down hard after serious incidents like this before, but there is only so much that they can do. This is an issue for everyone in the GAA to deal with:

Prosecutions: In the incident we are discussing this 15 year old was assaulted plain and simple, the reality is assaults have been happening for years on GAA pitches and almost nothing done about them. Clonaslee have a shocking recent history of this but no club is blameless, we have all been on teams where a player or players have swung fists or boots off the ball. This is assault any way you dress it, but because it happens on a pitch we try and sweep it under the carpet once the noice dies down. Most clubs probably have members or know members of the Gardai so this may help with regards to making the incident go away so to speak. But make no mistake about it charges need to be brought against players who assault others, this will stamp out this culture we have created where violent acts are acceptable on the field of play. Our games are tough games as it is, players can get plenty physical within the rules.

Video evidence: I agree that if every avenue is taken by county board that there may eventually be no alternative but to suspend the club from all competitions. It is a last resort though as it really is a small group spoiling it for the rest, but the fact that it keeps occurring shows the club need to sort it out. One way that might help is for the CB to give the a 5 year ban from all competitions which is suspended on condition they have all games videoed by company of CB choosing which will be paid for by the club. The idea been that any incident in future would be caught for posterity,  it might seem extortionate but they might not have any other choice.

just apply the laws as they currently stand thats all thats need.

Clubs can be banned,it has been done before in other counties,precedent is already there.

As for the filming of games,cost alone makes it a non runner given the number of games,also given a choice you would see many a camera man taking the safer option of Aleppo over Clonaslee atm.

Zooming around

I wouldn't like to be the poor camera man trying to get out of Clonaslee if anything happened.

Joeythelips

Ok fair enough video evidence is out, just feel sorry for genuine GAA people in Clonaslee, as always its a small minority who are ruining it for the rest. Going on this and other incidents it would seem that the club and CB are unable to deal with the situation, with his in mind they may need a severe suspension for couple of years (maybe more) to weed out the trouble makers but such a suspension would most likely destroy the club.

But in all these cases we need to see prosecutions happening, never mind GAA law, assault charges need to be handed down when assaults occur.

Laois fan

Seems this is under garda investigation now and rightly so.Think an overall ban for the club might be a bit harsh but def they should be banned from playing any home games for a few years maybe its changed but always found it intimadating with supporters nearly on the pitch roaring in.Also maybe thr county board could put them on probation and have neutral observer at every match involving them to report any further incidents(clonaslee covers costs).In saying that if club dont co-operate fully with any iinvestigations it will say alot,most parents and management of teams will worry about playing against them without serious change

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Laois fan on April 27, 2017, 01:17:30 PM
Seems this is under garda investigation now and rightly so.

Wasn't the last time around investigated by the Gardai too - with a Garda being the main instigator....

clonadmad

Maybe any potential videographers that ye are suggesting turn up and video games,should read this

http://m.independent.ie/sport/hurling/garda-investigated-over-alleged-assault-at-match-26692220.html

steven seagal

Clonaslee need a complete overhaul of the culture in the club, but god only knows how you would go about doing that. In the last year, they had a Division 2 football game abandoned against Annanough, had a player given a 24 match ban for trying to decapitate an opponent and starting a mass brawl in O'Moore Park, and now this latest effort. The reports coming out from this one are far worse, and more disturbing, than any of the other two.

That's just in 12 months as well. You can go further back and include the brawl in O'Moore Park that saw them banned from home games for five years, using club funds to bail a player out of jail to play a club match, and refusing to name a player who knocked out a young Rathdowney-Errill hurler in a junior match. That's only what I can think of, no doubt there has been countless other red cards, fights and abuse of referees, linesmen or opposition.

At this stage, I think they'll have to completely ban the club for a year or two. Allow juvenile players 'isolated player' status and let them go wherever they want to continue playing in the mean time, and then hope that the lunatics have stopped running the asylum when the club returns to competitive action. I don't know if any of that is within the remit of Laois GAA, but it's what I'd like to see done.

Or else see will Offaly take them  :)

Laoisguy

The game against Clonaslee in most age groups u14 upwards are now dreaded in our club

Intimidation rampant on the line of players,supporters,Ref and even their own players

I umpired a match u16 in which they were involved and the behaviour of management towards their own players was disgusting

I could hear players saying they would never play again

Unbelievable

Ogie

On a slightly more positive note we appear to have a new Senior referee in the county, an O Brien fella formerly from Tipp, he referred Borris Kilcotton v Camross last Saturday night and was really excellent, Top class
Can easily see him being our top referee for the year ahead.

clonadmad

Considering we lost 15 refs between this year and last,maybe we could do with a few more imports

Dave like the tv channel

The Clonaslee thing is in the papers and on social media. No hiding for the CB on this.

Laoiseabu

A bit off topic this but how is Patrick Hyland from Clonaslee not on the minor hurling panel?

Joeythelips

https://twitter.com/CLGLaois/status/857977901630803968/photo/1

Shows what Clonalsee can do when they do things right, hopefully they can rid themselves of the few clowns who are giving them a bad name.

clonadmad

I have to laugh when I see the phrases "a few clowns" or "small minority" in relation to Clonaslee,there seem to be an issue with them in every grade from u8's upwards

As another poster said earlier,every time there's a game against them, there's hassle at best.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Joeythelips on April 29, 2017, 10:16:08 AM
https://twitter.com/CLGLaois/status/857977901630803968/photo/1

Shows what Clonalsee can do when they do things right, hopefully they can rid themselves of the few clowns who are giving them a bad name.
Best hurler by a country mile on that team is from Abbeyleix and there are few good players from Rosenallis and Offaly clubs I imagine as well. The teachers are outsiders as well. Wouldn't be banking on the locals.