Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on April 21, 2017, 09:43:48 AM
Time for a club ban then.

I've heard 2 reports as so to what went on last night,one worse than the other,actions of the players were mentor driven against a chap who was playing well for Rosenallis,attacking a prone unconscious u16 player into the bargain.

Maybe I am soft, but you can't ban the club IMO.
On the other hand, I don't have a solution.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

The Rover

Clonaslee a once proud and disciplined club are now nothing more than a shambles and an absolute disgrace. Loud mouthed ill disciplined thugs that know nothing about sport and the value that it can bring to a community. their are plenty of decent people in clonaslee that have walked away from the club over the last number of years because of a few ignorant uncontrollable yobs. The CB have dished out all sorts of fines, home match bans etc to Clonaslee club but all to no avail.
Clonaslee as a club have not taken any action by way of suspending certain individuals and as a result they are the most detested ill disciplined Club in the county. What a pity to see a once proud and valued sporting club that offered so much to its own members and to the county now in such a situation.
The only way the Club can mend its ways is internally, the club officers should dish out suspensions instead of protecting them. if suspensions mean that they fail to field teams so be it. Better not field a team than continue in the same manor.   

SCFC

Hard to know what can be done now.
How many chances do you give a club?
Feel sorry for the few decent, genuine people in that club who must be disgusted with this latest incident.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on April 22, 2017, 12:14:24 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 21, 2017, 09:43:48 AM
Time for a club ban then.

I've heard 2 reports as so to what went on last night,one worse than the other,actions of the players were mentor driven against a chap who was playing well for Rosenallis,attacking a prone unconscious u16 player into the bargain.

Maybe I am soft, but you can't ban the club IMO.
On the other hand, I don't have a solution.

Of course you can ban clubs from competitions

Just one example

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-zero-tolerance-policy-continues-after-cavan-club-is-banned-26457043.html

Keyser Söze

I suppose I mean't "shouldn't" in place of "can't". But then again we are probably heading for last resort at this stage regarding Clonaslee.

The way I heard Clonaslee people defend James Young in the weeks after that incident V Castletown last year really sums up the problems in that club. Here there most high profile hurler in 30 years was backed to the hilt after behaving disgracefully. That's the leadership they are getting.
Monkey see, monkey do.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

hurlingmad

Ballyfin seem to be playing well in the intermediate league, without the gaels players they will have for the championshio at senior b, maybe rosenallis can do well this year also. I think Ballacolla will be difficult to beat but they have played darren maher at centre forward and willie hyland at centre back which is certainly differant. But i wouldnt be surprised to see b/k retain as they seem to have all the tools to do so and with their forwards they are the team to beat

Cruella De Vil

Quote from: The Rover on April 22, 2017, 08:08:21 AM
Clonaslee a once proud and disciplined club are now nothing more than a shambles and an absolute disgrace. Loud mouthed ill disciplined thugs that know nothing about sport and the value that it can bring to a community. their are plenty of decent people in clonaslee that have walked away from the club over the last number of years because of a few ignorant uncontrollable yobs. The CB have dished out all sorts of fines, home match bans etc to Clonaslee club but all to no avail.
Clonaslee as a club have not taken any action by way of suspending certain individuals and as a result they are the most detested ill disciplined Club in the county. What a pity to see a once proud and valued sporting club that offered so much to its own members and to the county now in such a situation.

I agree with most of your post rover, except "once proud & disciplined" club. This s**t is going on for as long as I can remember (i.e. 30+ yrs). Like fathers/like sons bans have been handed down, even lifetime sideline bans for some folk, and they continue to act the b****x year in, year out. This is totally coming from the top down in the club, not all at the top, but the majority, in creating the mindset of what is and isn't acceptable. At an U-8 game last year, I seen a clonaslee chap throw a hurl at an opponent when he was running after him and couldn't catch him, this was met with a chorus of laughter and cheers by the usual suspects watching on the sideline. I will add the ref was their own John Rowney, who pulled the player aside and warned him not to do this again, but they haven't enough guys up there that think like John. Most coaches would reprimand a chap for this, not encourage it, most parents if their child did it at 8 years, would give the kid a boot in the hole, put them in the car, and take them home.
The regularity of this stuff up there is ridiculous. All clubs can have a crazy incident/game up and down where things go wild, but every year clonaslee seem to have loads, almost exclusively in hurling, where they can swing wildly at lads heads with the hurl, the bare fisted combat doesnt appeal to the tough guys who knock lads out with hurls from behind.

It's a f**king disgrace.

clonadmad

Front of the Leinster this week

Well done Clonaslee,ye must be so proud

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on April 26, 2017, 11:44:53 AM
Front of the Leinster this week

Well done Clonaslee,ye must be so proud
They've never given a solid f**k before, doubt they'll change now.

The Rover

Quote from: Cruella De Vil on April 25, 2017, 11:58:50 PM
Quote from: The Rover on April 22, 2017, 08:08:21 AM

I agree with most of your post rover, except "once proud & disciplined" club. This s**t is going on for as long as I can remember (i.e. 30+ yrs). Like fathers/like sons bans have been handed down, even lifetime sideline bans for some folk, and they continue to act the b****x year in, year out. This is totally coming from the top down in the club, not all at the top, but the majority, in creating the mindset of what is and isn't acceptable. At an U-8 game last year, I seen a clonaslee chap throw a hurl at an opponent when he was running after him and couldn't catch him, this was met with a chorus of laughter and cheers by the usual suspects watching on the sideline. I will add the ref was their own John Rowney, who pulled the player aside and warned him not to do this again, but they haven't enough guys up there that think like John. Most coaches would reprimand a chap for this, not encourage it, most parents if their child did it at 8 years, would give the kid a boot in the hole, put them in the car, and take them home.
The regularity of this stuff up there is ridiculous. All clubs can have a crazy incident/game up and down where things go wild, but every year clonaslee seem to have loads, almost exclusively in hurling, where they can swing wildly at lads heads with the hurl, the bare fisted combat doesnt appeal to the tough guys who knock lads out with hurls from behind.

It's a f**king disgrace.

I can only speak from my own experience, The reason I said a once proud and disciplined Club was because I did hurl against Clonaslee during the 1980's and 1990's we always found them tough and hard as were most clubs that were in contention for a senior title at the time, they were no worst or better than any other club at that time and always had a number of players playing for county teams at all grades.Looking back I would actually say that  Players from Clonaslee at that time such as Phil Dillon, Paddy and Fran Bates, Tom Flynn, John O'Keeffe R.I.P. Gerry Culliton R.I.P., and many more that I can not remember all their names were gentlemen of the game and I certainly would have held their players and mentors at that time as true lovers of the game. What a pity the Club has now gone to such an all time low.
I will repeat what I already stated a lot of these men of that time have walked away from the Club because of the current standards accepted by club officers, mentors and players.   

Don Draper

If the County Board dont do anything, other clubs should simply refuse to field against them. Force the hand of either the CB or the club.

clonadmad

There's every chance Clonaslee would win a multiple of county titles if this was to happen.

The CB should man up and do their job,the likelihood of this happening........,most unlikely

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on April 27, 2017, 08:36:42 AM
There's every chance Clonaslee would win a multiple of county titles if this was to happen.

The CB should man up and do their job,the likelihood of this happening........,most unlikely
Let them have them, worthless.

Joeythelips

Wow, hard to pass proper comment as I did not see the game and therefore the incident but when I read comments like " It is believed the player involved had his helmet removed before he received a blow to the head which rendered him unconscious" in the newspaper it tells me this kind of thing really needs to be stamped out once and for all in the GAA. Serious action is needed and Gardai should certainly be involved. In fairness to the county board they have come down hard after serious incidents like this before, but there is only so much that they can do. This is an issue for everyone in the GAA to deal with:

Prosecutions: In the incident we are discussing this 15 year old was assaulted plain and simple, the reality is assaults have been happening for years on GAA pitches and almost nothing done about them. Clonaslee have a shocking recent history of this but no club is blameless, we have all been on teams where a player or players have swung fists or boots off the ball. This is assault any way you dress it, but because it happens on a pitch we try and sweep it under the carpet once the noice dies down. Most clubs probably have members or know members of the Gardai so this may help with regards to making the incident go away so to speak. But make no mistake about it charges need to be brought against players who assault others, this will stamp out this culture we have created where violent acts are acceptable on the field of play. Our games are tough games as it is, players can get plenty physical within the rules.

Video evidence: I agree that if every avenue is taken by county board that there may eventually be no alternative but to suspend the club from all competitions. It is a last resort though as it really is a small group spoiling it for the rest, but the fact that it keeps occurring shows the club need to sort it out. One way that might help is for the CB to give the a 5 year ban from all competitions which is suspended on condition they have all games videoed by company of CB choosing which will be paid for by the club. The idea been that any incident in future would be caught for posterity,  it might seem extortionate but they might not have any other choice.

redsetanta

Re: Video evidence, if there was an incident i doubt the cameraman would get out the gate of the grounds with his camera!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi