Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballyroan Abbey

Colt and slieve bloom have numbers and a juvenile system so cant see how they can be compared with kyle and trumera which in fairness are tiny areas, especially trumera

Ballygowen

Colt, Shanahoe, Clonad and part of Trumera are all in the same Parish. why they dont all join together is beyond me. Probably too much bad blood between them all. But they are struggling for numbers on their own, they should look into a amalgamation. it worked for Rathdowney Erill, Borriss Kilcotten, Clough Ballacolla and the Harps (Culahill and Durrow) who were a competitive senior team for years.

Ballypicass and Ballinakill you'd think could join too as some of them would play together for spink football plus geographically there are side by side, let timahooe come in with them too.

i would be in favour for gaels and or amalgamations as there is too many small clubs in laois where the population isnt high, it would have to make for a stronger standard.

tcrilly

Quote from: Ballygowen on December 07, 2016, 09:35:31 PM
Colt, Shanahoe, Clonad and part of Trumera are all in the same Parish. why they dont all join together is beyond me. Probably too much bad blood between them all. But they are struggling for numbers on their own, they should look into a amalgamation. it worked for Rathdowney Erill, Borriss Kilcotten, Clough Ballacolla and the Harps (Culahill and Durrow) who were a competitive senior team for years.

Ballypicass and Ballinakill you'd think could join too as some of them would play together for spink football plus geographically there are side by side, let timahooe come in with them too.

i would be in favour for gaels and or amalgamations as there is too many small clubs in laois where the population isnt high, it would have to make for a stronger standard.

All very good points, and you are right in hindsight regarding Kyle and trumera with no underage, Kyle young lads can play with camross,roscrea or b/k and in a couple of cases the players have choose to stay with those clubs altogether,e.g arien Delaney,Darren Gilmartin, Conor Quinlan is going this year and trumera have had a phenomenal run in the last 10-12 years with players representing county and winning their respective championships when stuck for numbers, clonad,trumera,colt would be good for all clubs involved but one would argue the"giving away identity" argument, does Chris Murray still hurl?

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: tcrilly on December 07, 2016, 09:43:00 PM

All very good points, and you are right in hindsight regarding Kyle and trumera with no underage, Kyle young lads can play with camross,roscrea or b/k and in a couple of cases the players have choose to stay with those clubs altogether,e.g arien Delaney,Darren Gilmartin, Conor Quinlan is going this year and trumera have had a phenomenal run in the last 10-12 years with players representing county and winning their respective championships when stuck for numbers, clonad,trumera,colt would be good for all clubs involved but one would argue the"giving away identity" argument, does Chris Murray still hurl?

I dont actually see having small clubs as a problem as long as they have an outlet available to them to play at a higher level, quinlan and gilmartin are proof that there is talent at smaller clubs, unfortunately bar you play for a senior club these players are flat out ignored, would ben conroy have played for laois if he hadnt played senior? Highly unlikely. Even this year we saw how the gales link up between ballyfin and mountmellick showed how good donnacha harnett is and there  are more like him, MJ Lalor and Robbie Foyle spring to mind. Unfortunately any promising young hurler feels necessary to go play for a senior club to be recognised at county level, as for your question about chris murray yes he still plays

tcrilly

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on December 07, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Quote from: tcrilly on December 07, 2016, 09:43:00 PM

I dont actually see having small clubs as a problem as long as they have an outlet available to them to play at a higher level, quinlan and gilmartin are proof that there is talent at smaller clubs, unfortunately bar you play for a senior club these players are flat out ignored, would ben conroy have played for laois if he hadnt played senior? Highly unlikely. Even this year we saw how the gales link up between ballyfin and mountmellick showed how good donnacha harnett is and there  are more like him, MJ Lalor and Robbie Foyle spring to mind. Unfortunately any promising young hurler feels necessary to go play for a senior club to be recognised at county level, as for your question about chris murray yes he still plays

Yeah the foyles are good hurlers in timahoe and Dylan lawlor of trumeta is one to watch

Ballygowen

Yeah they are good hurlers in the grade they are playing, but in order for them to excel it's important for the like of those hurlers to be hurling at a higher standard. But in some cases they won't get the chance as their club isn't good enough to play at higher standards, hence why I would be in favour of Gaels or amalgamation teams. Gives them young lads a better chance.

Tcrilly you're right in that some clubs won't want to lose the identity of their club which stops them from joining with others.

With the club amalgamations mentioned do any of you think they could play in the senior championship straight away and be competitive? Personally I don't think so, they would have to play in senior B championship first. I wouldn't think in their first year they would be good enough for senior champs.!!

tcrilly

Quote from: Ballygowen on December 08, 2016, 09:03:24 AM
Yeah they are good hurlers in the grade they are playing, but in order for them to excel it's important for the like of those hurlers to be hurling at a higher standard. But in some cases they won't get the chance as their club isn't good enough to play at higher standards, hence why I would be in favour of Gaels or amalgamation teams. Gives them young lads a better chance.

Tcrilly you're right in that some clubs won't want to lose the identity of their club which stops them from joining with others.

With the club amalgamations mentioned do any of you think they could play in the senior championship straight away and be competitive? Personally I don't think so, they would have to play in senior B championship first. I wouldn't think in their first year they would be good enough for senior champs.!!
Yeah I agree, I play for roscrea but live in Laois, we wouldn't win the Laois championship or come close, I agree with amalgamations and gaels for smaller clubs with poor numbers but not for clubs with 2 teams That have the numbers

High Fielder

The parish rule should apply to these amalgamations. Nothing outside, because in truth it's just messy. We should be looking to put something long term in place, not just prostituting players and clubs to the highest bidder. If you play for a Junior or Intermediate club, and there's a Senior club in your Parish, you should have access to that level. If there is no Senior Club in the Parish, then the remaining clubs should be allowed to enter a Gaels team at Senior level. Clubs joining together from across the Parish divide is a short term and glory hunting solution that does nothing for the future, because there probably won't be a future. The Laois County Board need to step up here. I am sick reading about these potential short term marriages of convenience. Keep it simple and pass a very simple rule that ensures every lad has access to Senior grade.

tcrilly

Quote from: High Fielder on December 08, 2016, 11:17:09 AM
The parish rule should apply to these amalgamations. Nothing outside, because in truth it's just messy. We should be looking to put something long term in place, not just prostituting players and clubs to the highest bidder. If you play for a Junior or Intermediate club, and there's a Senior club in your Parish, you should have access to that level. If there is no Senior Club in the Parish, then the remaining clubs should be allowed to enter a Gaels team at Senior level. Clubs joining together from across the Parish divide is a short term and glory hunting solution that does nothing for the future, because there probably won't be a future. The Laois County Board need to step up here. I am sick reading about these potential short term marriages of convenience. Keep it simple and pass a very simple rule that ensures every lad has access to Senior grade.

First pint is on me, couldn't disagree with one word

clonadmad

Playing god here lads and i fully expect to be torn apart and told why this couldnt work,but my overiding aim is to expose as many lads as possible that want to play hurling at the highest level in the county while also broadening the hurling base available to the Inter County set up.

14 Teams

Roinn 1

Borris Kilcotton Kyle
Camross
Rathdowney Erril
Abbeyleix
Clough Ballacolla
Portlaoise
The Harps

Roinn 2
Shanahoe/Colt/Clonad/Trumera (Raheen Parish Gaels)
Castletown/Slieve Bloom
Ballyfin
Clonaslee
Mountrath
Rosenallis
Ballinakill/Ballypickas/Park/Timahoe

All non fully amalgamated outfits would have the option of fielding their own club teams in the intermediate.

HURLING1

If Laois  are serious about improving the county team every  young player needs access to Senior Hurling.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on December 08, 2016, 11:17:09 AM

100%. In Hurling there is no future for Ballyfin Gaels etc. Like there was no future for Tinnahinch.

Borris Kilcotton, Rathdowney Errill have worked. As would St Fintan's Raheen and Castletown Slieve Bloom, Mountrath Trumera etc. They are logical and workable arrangements that make sense.
County Board have their hands tied to some degree by the Official Guide. But I think they could be alot more proactive and edge clubs towards the Parish Club scenario.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on December 08, 2016, 04:55:49 PM
Playing god here lads and i fully expect to be torn apart and told why this couldnt work,but my overiding aim is to expose as many lads as possible that want to play hurling at the highest level in the county while also broadening the hurling base available to the Inter County set up.

14 Teams

Roinn 1

Borris Kilcotton Kyle
Camross
Rathdowney Erril
Abbeyleix
Clough Ballacolla
Portlaoise
The Harps

Roinn 2
Castletown/Slieve Bloom
Ballyfin
Clonaslee
Mountrath
Rosenallis

All non fully amalgamated outfits would have the option of fielding their own club teams in the intermediate.

Interesting. Just wondering how Portlaoise and The Harps (relegated this year) get into Roinn 1 ahead of Ballinakill (semi this year) and Castletown SB (promoted this year)?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: clonadmad on December 08, 2016, 04:55:49 PM

14 Teams

Roinn 1

Borris Kilcotton Kyle
Camross
Rathdowney Erril
Abbeyleix
Clough Ballacolla
Portlaoise
The Harps

Roinn 2
Castletown/Slieve Bloom
Ballyfin
Clonaslee
Mountrath
Rosenallis

I've seen worse ideas. That's not a bad template at all. I presume Ballyfin would have Mountmellick on board?
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Ballygowen

I too have seen worse ideas, i get what you're saying  Keyser Söze in regards to Balinakill. with all the amalgamations listed below they may have big areas but the population in them areas would be very low. theres probably more people in on of the housing estates in Abbeyliex than there would be in all of Trumera!