Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Nothing in that article we didn't already know.

I like the fact the was a bit of depth in the panel Sunday with Dillion Meaney Conway Finn Moore Kelly who all played in the league to come in.

Trevor Collins is also on the fringes Love to See Lillis and Timmons around to push for the back the next day.

Hope tha tAttride is okay and can play aswell.

Kildare only think they have to show up according to all reports especially listening to their supporters to quote one lad...

"I suppose the Laois lads have their visa's for the US booked for Bank holiday Monday after we relegate them to the qualifers!

God I really do dislike Kildare and nothing as a Laois fan would give me more pleasure than bating them!!!
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

I wouldn't be getting too cocky if I was a Kildare supporter. They haven't exactly set the championship on fire these last number of years, either.

Man for man, I don't think we're too far off Kildare in terms of quality, Unlaoised. You're right about a bit of depth too but it would be nicer to have Healy and Timmons there but what can we do. Perhaps Timmons will be not far off for the game after Kildare.

I think it will come down to tactics, hunger and confidence.

I believe we are a team desperately needing confidence to get us going. Look at the Longford game. Heads were dropping when Longford got it back to 0-9 to 0-7. It took the couple of goals for us to express ourselves well in that match and perform well.

I think if we can get a good start against Kildare and still be in the match or winning by 1 or 2 at half-time, we have a very good chance. If we are 4or 5 down at half time or more I fear we could get hammered, as I say I believe confidence will be a big factor for us.

County Man

Lads, very quiet in here with the biggest game of the year coming in 5 days!!

How are we feeling about it? Hopefully a big crowd will head over for it. The hurlers had a big support last Sunday in OMP so be nice if we could match that.

In terms of the game, to win would be massive but at the very least we need to put in a big performance and be competitive.

Midfield needs to get on top. The forwards need to take any chances going. We need a couple of goals.

Hopefully our captain will be fit enough to play. Defense need to work their socks off and be very organised.

Looking forward to a massive battle! Couldn't bear another smashing like in 2015, 2011 and 2009.

Laois Abu

Unlaoised

I think the numbers will travel...Bank holiday Sunday ...all the talk of Kildare will spur lads to travel in hope of an upset.

Kildare are now missing their first two choice corner forwards ...

LAOIS ABU
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

They might be missing two forwards, Flynn and McCormack but they are a team on a mission this year and are very strong in most positions. We have to admit we are massive underdogs in this one and if we can put up a decent performance I'll be happy enough.
We will need to have a plan in place and play to the best of our ability to even come near them. We also will need a bit of luck and a fair referee, think it's David Coldrick from Meath is the man in the middle on Sunday
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Kildare will probably bate us, but as always they'll do f**k all beyond. Any supposed superiority complex is as always, misplaced. We're a low ebb currently, but if we go out and ware into them from the off and knock a few of the f**kers on their holes early on, we might st least get an enjoyable afternoon out of it, regardless of the result.

justinn

Moolick to the rescue as Kildare salvage draw
Updated / Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 15:45 10
Tommy Moolick's late score means Laois and Kildare must do it all over again
Tommy Moolick's late score means Laois and Kildare must do it all over again
By Declan Rooney

Laois 0-16 Kildare 0-16

Kildare needed an injury-time point from substitute Tommy Moolick to force a replay after Laois looked like edging this 0-16 to 0-16 draw at O'Connor Park, Tullamore in the Leinster SFC quarter-final.

The sides will meet again at the same venue next Saturday, but Kildare will be the happier team after turning around a three point deficit with five minutes remaining.

Led by the excellent Donie Kingston, Laois staged a storming 15 minutes in the second-half to take control, but two Eoghan O'Flaherty frees and Moolick's late leveller save the day for Jason Ryan's side.

Despite winning the toss and electing to play with the very strong breeze, Kildare chose to line out with a two man inside forward line and to work the ball slowly across the field in search of openings.

As a result it came as little surprise to see Laois dominate the opening quarter and hold a 0-04 to 0-01 lead at that juncture.

Laois would have been happy to just nullify Kildare with that wind advantage and it took until the ninth minute for the game's first score to arrive when Damien O'Connor set up Donal Kingston to score from play.

That early Laois dominance was build from their lording the midfield, especially under their own kickouts. Brendan Quigley was particularly masterful and after Padraig Fogarty levelled the game with a tenth minute point, the O'Moore County surged ahead with three frees in four minutes.

A late call up to the starting team, Tom Shiel, landed the middle of those three points for Laois, with a super free from the right sideline, but slowly Kildare began to gain a footing in the game.

Fogarty settled the Lilywhites with a sweet 45 from the right, before Alan Smith kicked two points in as many minutes – the second was a good goal chance that clipped over via the crossbar – to square the game at 0-04 each by the 21st minute.

A silly foul from Ollie Lyons on Kingston resulted in a tap over free for the Arles Killeen man, and he kicked a lovely point from play from the kickout after Shiel and Conor Boyle put in the groundwork.

By and large Kildare dominated their own kickouts – their short quick, short restarts continually caught out Laois – and as the half wore on they began to mount attacks on the back of that well retained possession.

Points from Eamonn Callaghan and Smith drew Kildare level in the 28th minute, and they took the lead for the first time six minutes from the break when Gary White pointed, which was quickly followed by another O'Flaherty free.

And just before half-time Darren strong bagged two points, the second he punched over the bar instead of taking on Mark Donnellan when the goal chance presented itself.

After carrying a 0-09 to 0-08 lead into the break, Kildare worked a three-point lead by the 40th minute after O'Flaherty kicked a free and Emmet Bolton scored from play they looked likely to pull clear.

But Laois continued to score in bursts and three points in two minutes – frees from Munnelly and Kingston and a good point on the run from John O'Loughlin – levelled the game at 0-11 each.

The introduction of Tommy Moolick shortly after the restart did a lot to dampen Laois' midfield dominance though and after good work around the middle, he pointed via the post in the 47th minute to push Kildare one ahead once more.

The Lexlip man had a goal chance three minutes later which was well saved by the sprawling Graham Brody, but Paul Cribbin pointed from the rebound to double Kildare's lead.

But again the Lilywhites retreated back into their shells and allowed Laois to fight their way back level thanks to frees from Kingston and Munnelly, before Kingston pushed them ahead again with a 59th minute free.

Laois took control from that point and some good work from Kingston set up O'Loughlin for another super point, before Kingston landed his third from play to stretch Laois' lead to three points with five minutes left.

Callaghan came within inches of levelling the game but his goal attempt trickled wide with four minutes to go, but two O'Flaherty frees reduced the lead to one point with full time approaching.

And deep into injury time Moolick kicked the leveller for Kildare to force the replay, but substitute Paul Kingston could have won it at the death for Laois, but his shot from the right drifted wide.

Laois: G Brody; S Attride, M Timmons, C Begley; R Kehoe, D Strong (0-02), D O'Connor; B Quigley, J O'Loughlin (0-02); N Donoher, C Boyle, E O'Carroll; R Munnelly (0-03, 0-03f), D Kingston (0-08, 0-05f), T Shiel (0-01, 0-01f).

Subs: C Meredith for Shiel (51 mins), B Sheehan for Meredith (64), P Kingston for O'Carroll (67)

Kildare: M Donnellan; C Fitzpatrick, M O'Grady, O Lyons; K Murnaghan, F Conway, E Bolton (0-01); G White (0-01), P Cribbin (0-01); E Callaghan (0-01), E O'Flaherty (0-05, 0-05f), C McNally; P O'Neill, P Fogarty (0-03, 0-01'45, 0-01f), A Smith (0-02).

Subs: T Moolick (0-02) for McNally (41 mins), N Kelly for Fogarty (56), E Doyle for Murnaghan (59), F Dowling for O'Neill (66), D Hyland for White (69),

Referee: Cormac Reilly (Meath).

Don Draper

Moolick, generally wouldn't hit the arse of a cow with a Hurley.

Tony

Quote from: County Man on May 30, 2017, 12:44:32 PM
Lads, very quiet in here with the biggest game of the year coming in 5 days!!

I think it's quieter than normal county man, because after Longford, the likes of Ballyroanabu and town1980 don't know what Laois will turn up Sunday. It's much less risky to get their posts in after the match, when it's much easier with the benefit of hindsight:D.

Getting my prediction in here - Laois to put up a decent performance but Kildare to win by 5 - 7 points. I hope I'm wrong, I just think we wont have enough at the back to hold them under 1-16 or so.

SCFC

I'm hearing Trevor Collins is in line to start on Sunday. Haven't seen much of him myself. Good luck to him.

BallyroanAbu

No Tony, I am here.  Hopefully you get to tell me how wrong I was on Sunday.   My heart says Laois, my head says otherwise.    Safe to say believe it or not it's easier to point out whats wrong in the League as when it comes to championship even though I really think the Laois Manager is awful, (it's kildare) I hope they (being Laois)  shove it down my throat.

Don Draper

Guys, I'm not on any Kildare discussion board, but can you tell me when my post gets posted up so I can take a look. Thanks.

Joeythelips

Logic dictates that based on league form that a team promoted to Division one should beat a team relegated to Division 4 reasonably comfortably, but the reason we all love the championship so much is that logic does not always win out. Only last weekend we had a Division 2 side scrape past a Division 4 team when Cork beat Waterford by a single point. The bookies are usually a decent judge of these things, and they have the spread at 2 points, so the market thinks Kildare will win but Laois will push them close.

Whatever we think of management or players they have a championship win under their belt, they face a big step up obviously this weekend but if they give it everything there is no reason they cant beat this Kildare team. Head ruling heart i agree with Tony and think Kildare will have too much and win by 5 points or so, i hope i am wrong as would love to see Laois play live, their semi final will be shown live on sky (and I am reluctant to pay the €70 euro for GAA GO GB PASS just yet).

Tony

I took a quick glance at the Kildare GAA forum there. In fairness to them, apart from a few cocky "know-it-alls" that don't really seem to know that much, the consensus is that they think it will be a tight match. Most of them predict a Kildare win but they're not taking us for granted. This is a post from one of their lads and reflects the overall attitude towards us over there:

"Nothing wrong with displaying a bit of confidence. The dubs, Kerry and Tyrone have been doing it for years. However they have the silverware to back it up.

I have seen nothing from Kildare in recent years to suggest we can win when it matters most. We lost two very winnable league finals in succession and have suffered miserable first game Leinster championship defeats.

We are on the right track again now thankfully with success at Minor and U-21 and now successive promotions to Division 1 but as we know all too well Kildare teams are prone to massive disappointments so I would be treating Laois with the utmost respect.

They are total underdogs and would like nothing better than to take us down. They have big strong competitive footballers in Begley, Quigley, O'Loughlin and Kingston. I'd take at least 3 of them for our team anyday.

All we have to worry about is playing to the best of our ability. If we do that we will win, no question as we have the better squad but if they drop the performance level then I think Laois will capitalise.

Kildare by 2pts."

Unlaoised

Getting nervous now that we are getting nearer the game....

I'd love to bate Kildare!

LAOIS ABÚ