Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA-SMART

Can't help but feel annoyed over the Dublin Carlow fixture being fixed for Portlaoise, by right we should say no to hosting it. Play it in Carlow let them have there day in the sun.

Don Draper

Quote from: GAA-SMART on May 22, 2017, 02:53:54 PM
Can't help but feel annoyed over the Dublin Carlow fixture being fixed for Portlaoise, by right we should say no to hosting it. Play it in Carlow let them have there day in the sun.
That noise you hear is Declan O Loughlins head exploding.

Tony

Play it in Laois and get a bit of much needed cash for the local economy, let's not get daft about it. Looking at approx 15,000 at that match. Last year is over, at least now Dublin will have played in OMP, so in years to come, surely Laois will host Dublin here too. Leave it be, it'll be great for all concerned to bring the Dubs to town once they don't cause a fuss. I fear for Carlow though if the dubs go to town on them.

Joeythelips

Few comments.

Living abroad means i don't get to see much of the team but radio commentary, results and opinions help paint a decent picture. On this board the opinions are usually divided between negative ones and realistic ones. Some say the set up is poor, some say our players are not good enough. Judging from what i could gather from yesterdays performance and what i hear from player interviews etc is that the Laois footballers are trying their level best to represent Laois and bring some glory to the county. A lot of our players are very experienced, JOL for one has played under a lot of different management set-ups for club, county and 3rd level so when he speaks highly of the management set-up and training methods it represents a good gauge in my book. Also the fact that laois have performed so poorly in the league for the past few years suggests we do lack the talent. We have good players for sure but overall results are the ultimate leveller.

Some posters on here were expecting Longford to beat Laois which going on recent league and championship performances and results you would have to say would not have been a shock.  We won our championship game, and lets face it thats when it really matters. Wexford had a fine league but Im sure they could not give a toss about it today. The fact that we won is rightly celebrated and well done on players and management for delivering a championship victory, next up we face Kildare, a team on an upward curve who won promotion to Div 1. A div 1 team will be a huge step up for laois, but if everyone is fit and we give it everything there is no reason why we cant cause an upset.   

Thanks for the video post Tony, us ex-pats sometimes struggle to get to watch even highlights for example the only way to watch highlights of the games is to purchase the Sunday Game on GAA Go (the programme on RTE player is restricted overseas even using VPNs) so although may people in Ireland dont like the sky deal, i love it as i can watch the some championship action.

Giovanni

Funny how things go very quiet in here after a good performance.

Tony

I know Giovanni. But most people are feeling positive after that performance I'd say. Maybe a few are still worse for wear after enjoying the win.

I personally think we're about 4-5 good players short of beating Kildare. A lot of our players are still in their prime years (in my opinion prime years are 24-31). We have a nucleus of a good team, it's just a pity we have some passengers. No offence, they try their hardest but against the big teams we might be carrying them.

The likes of begley, two Kingstons, quig, jol, evan o c, strong, brody, attride are all fantastic players, I just wish we had timmons back and healy while we're at it, we're just a few players shy of having a real go in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong on that. Still, very enjoyable to see everyone giving their all. Strenght in depth just will be our downfall, I predict. Never know.

redsetanta

Tullamore is nothing but misery for Laois in recent times. Much prefer to be playing them in Carlow. Good win yesterday down to the goals and we'll need as many again if we're to have any chance against Kildare.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

We win and some lads are still giving out...Sure that's Laois for you.

I enjoyed the performance I thought we were brave and composed on the ball and altho we lack natural backs we did defend well as a system at times.

Here's my ratings

Again I state this is just personal opinion and I respect every player who puts on the blue and white Jersey!

BRODY 9:A superb stop at a crucial time in the first half.Some great runs forward but he needs to be careful against Kildare.His kickouts and all around general play make him a top goalie and he is a great foundation for the team despite being in his early 20's

STRONG 8:Had a decent game his passing was superb and he made two of the goals with a lovely pass to Donie for Paul's second and his awareness for Alan Farrell's goal was a thing of beauty.Not the best defensively but was powerful in the tackle at times today more so than in the league when lads walked past him.

BOOTH 7:Done some things well winning one great ball at the start of the second half but looked shakey other times.He wasn't a good as he was in the league but was on Mickey Quinn for large spells and he didn't score so that's a feather in his cap.

O'CONNOR 6:Was on Robbie Smyth who gave him a terrible time but Smith would and will do this to many corner backs as he is a great talent.O'Connor will bounce back tho and have better days.He left everything on the pitch in the 33 minutes he was on and has a great attitude.

BUGGIE 7:Took his point very well it was such a composed finish where other lads might panic.Needs to tighten up defensively and be stronger in the tackle but he is a player that's improving with games and certainly proved why he was picked to start.

ATTRIDE 7:Not his lung bursting best when on the field but I wonder was injury holding him back?Still his pace is crucial to the back line and he done well with most things coming out with some good ball.I hope his injury isn't too bad we will need him the next day!

McMAHON 8:What a joy it is to have him back a superb score great running with the ball and good defensively he is still a class player and its just so good to see him around.Never seems to have a bad game.

QUIGLEY 9:Brendan gave a master class in midfield winning his battle with the monster of a man that Keegan is.He won everyball that Brody found him with and more.Scored a fortunate point but it came from the great early ball he was kicking in to Donie.Did well to hold his displine when number 21 was trying to do him.

BEGLEY 9:Why this man gets criticized after games I'll never know I rarely see him play a bad game for Laois.Strong on the ball never gives it away.Probably our best tackler in all areas of the pitch.Two great shoulders in the second half one after another to win the ball back summed up his day.Always good for a point aswell.

FARRELL 7:Took his goal well and done a lot of work off the ball.A few bad decisions on the ball but that can be rectified.Needs to learn to close players better backs off too much and must work on his tackling.He can be happy with his display tho.

O'LOUGHLIN 8:Kicked three fine points with both feet the one in the first half off his left was a superb score.Caught a few balls in the middle but also didn't contest one or two which was suprising.Hit hard as always and was always available for the ball sometimes too much as he is marked.Great leader to have!

DONOHER 8:Unsung hero that you never hear much talk about after.Did simple things well apart from one silly outside of the foot ball but the game was won at that stage.Always able to get free for the counter attack and still has that yard to step around a player.His passing is always forward which sets the tone for good attacks.Scored a nice point to start off a fine display by the evergreen Courtwood man.

O'CARROLL 7:Showed well for the ball and won 3 frees in scoreable positions for Laois .Still doesn't look fully fit but hopefully this game will bring him on.
Great score of the left in the first half and cause problems all day for Longford who couldn't get to grips with him Donie or Paul

D KINGSTON 9:A class apart took his goal well and created so much for Laois.Just a normal day at the office for him but for once the players around him in the forwards also performed.His free taking was sublime two with the left two with the right.A great talent who is worth admission fee alone.

P KINGSTON 10:For once he upstages the brother and gets man of the match.He was a constant threat unlucky not to have two more scores from good efforts in the first half.Got the crucial first goal we so badly needed and what a finish it was.Scored and excellent point and then another class finish to bury the game .Delighted he finally produced on the biggest of stages and hope this can give him confidence against Kildare.

SUBS
KELLY 7:Done nothing wrong and intercepted one great ball in the second half.Was tigerish and hungry and has learned not to get turned as easily as he was in some league games but that was surely going to come with experience and more game time.

DILLION 7:Very unlucky not to start in my opinion and has to be an option for the next day.Did well when he came in and looked right up to the pace which we know he has in abundance .

FINN 7:Thought he would have seen more game time as he is doing very well behind the scenes according to reports.He looked very composed on the ball when he came in and looks in great shape .A big man with a lot of talent that could yet a a vital role in a game this year for Laois.

MUNNELLY ,MOORE and MEANEY weren't on long enough to rate which was the only disappointment form the day.

Why Creedon and Kavanagh didn't bring on subs earlier I'll never know we were practically 10-12 points up for nearly all the second half.

It was an ideal opportunity to see how players could fair and Laois management missed the boat with this call.

All in all I was happy with the display it was black and white for most of the league campaign and a lot of experienced men stepped up to the mark.

Well done to all the players and management on proving so many people wrong and resorting a bit of pride back in the jersey.

We need to work on things and I hope video analysis on Kildare will be done to a fine art because they play the same way every game and LAois need to find a way of stopping them getting quick ball to their dangerous forwards and not backing off them and letting them run at us.

Lillis Meaney Finn Walsh Dillion will all be pushing hard for places which can only improve the squad's morale and improve players.

I hope Laois people will go over to Tullamore in numbers cause we know the cocky Kildare army will travel in their droves.

LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on May 22, 2017, 10:40:55 PM
Tullamore is nothing but misery for Laois in recent times. Much prefer to be playing them in Carlow. Good win yesterday down to the goals and we'll need as many again if we're to have any chance against Kildare.
We've lost to Antrim, Tipp and Louth in Championship in O'Moore Park in recent years, should we not play there either? Can't see us beating Kildare based on league form, but we've a Championship game played and they don't and hopefully that may count for something. As for Tullamore, f**k it, its a field like any other, and a nice one at that. Better than playing in the car park.

gaastats

Laois have a winning record in SFC games in Tullamore. P39 W19 D3 L17 F512 A504

Haven't beaten Kildare there since 1981. Overall v Kildare in Tullamore: P6 W2 D1 L3 F74 A102

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

True dave. They seem to be forgetting their Web of lies. Apparently last year they held it in Nowlan Park because of the amount of seats available.

Now they say it was held there because they didn't know how many people would attend.

But of course that doesn't make sense because multiple sources report OMP capacity is 27,000 and NP is 24,000. Anyway no point wrecking our heads about it. It's done now. Hopefully we'll host them in the coming years.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Tony on May 23, 2017, 07:29:57 PM
True dave. They seem to be forgetting their Web of lies. Apparently last year they held it in Nowlan Park because of the amount of seats available.

Now they say it was held there because they didn't know how many people would attend.

But of course that doesn't make sense because multiple sources report OMP capacity is 27,000 and NP is 24,000. Anyway no point wrecking our heads about it. It's done now. Hopefully we'll host them in the coming years.
Agree with all said although i'd be somewhat wary of Wikipedia information. I myself hear that OMP is a 17000 capacity stadium now  due to recent H&S crowd control regs....

redsetanta

When was the last time O'Moore Park was full. Not just the stand but the terraces aswell.  I can't remember and they've qualifier double headers.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi