Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

O' Moore Park must have got bigger since last year as it was said it wouldn't be big enough to accommodate all the Dublin supporters. This year it is deemed big enough because if Carlow beat Wexford they will play Dublin in O'Moore Park.....   ::)

REIGNING Leinster senior football champions Dublin will open the defence of the Delaney Cup at a provincial venue in 2017.
Either O'Moore Park or Innovate Wexford Park will be the setting when the Dubs begin a quest to win a record breaking seventh Leinster title in a row.
Wexford and Carlow meet in a first round tie at Netwatch Cullen Park on Sunday May 21 for the right to face Dublin in a quarter final, which will take place on Saturday or Sunday, 3rd or 4th June.
If Wexford win, they will have the added incentive of entertaining the Dubs at home in Wexford Park. Should Carlow triumph, the game will take place at O'Moore Park, Portlaoise because the capacity of Netwatch Cullen Park would be insufficient.
Last June the Dubs played a Leinster SFC tie outside of Croke Park for the first time in 10 years when they took on Laois in Kilkenny's Nowlan Park.
A meeting of Comhairle Laighean last night agreed to keep Jim Gavin's Dubs 'on the road' for their opening fixture of the 2017 campaign.
The potential for concerts taking place at Croke Park has been another factor in deliberating on where matches will be played next summer.
Leinster Senior Hurling Championship games will commence on Sunday, 23rd April with the first series of matches in the round robin section, which next year involves Laois, Westmeath, Meath and Kerry.
Kilkenny will begin the defence of the Bob O'Keeffe Cup in a semi-final tie versus Wexford or one of the qualifiers from the round-robin group.
The Leinster senior hurling final has been confirmed for Sunday, July 2 and the senior football decider has been fixed for Sunday, July 16 at Croke Park.

LEINSTER GAA SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS 2017

23rd April (Sunday)
Leinster SHC Round Robin  -  Round One
Meath v Kerry  - Pairc Tailteann, Navan
Laois v Westmeath – O'Moore Park, Portlaoise

30th April (Sunday)
Leinster SHC Round Robin  -  Round Two
Westmeath v Kerry – TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar
Meath v Laois – Pairc Tailteann, Navan

14th May (Sunday)
Leinster SHC Round Robin  -  Round Three
Westmeath v Meath – TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar
Kerry v Laois – Austin Stack Park, Tralee

21st May (Sunday)
Leinster SFC  -  Round One
Louth v Wicklow - Parnell Park, Dublin
Laois v Longford – O'Moore Park, Portlaoise
Carlow  v  Wexford – Netwatch Cullen Park

27th May (Saturday) /28th May (Sunday)
Leinster SHC Quarter Finals
Round Robin Team  v  Offaly
Round Robin Team  v  Wexford
Both Q-Finals are home games for round-robin teams except for Kerry - that Q-Final be played at a Leinster venue.

28th  May (Sunday)
Leinster SHC Quarter Final 
Galway  v  Dublin – O'Connor Park, Tullamore

3rd June (Saturday)
Leinster SFC Quarter Final
Kildare  v  Laois/Longford – O'Connor Pk, Tullamore
IF Meath v Louth – Parnell Park, Dublin

3rd June (Saturday) or 4th June (Sunday)
Carlow/Wexford v Dublin – O'Moore Pk, Portlaoise/Innovate Wexford Park

4th June (Sunday)
IF Meath v Wicklow – Aughrim

10th June (Saturday) / 11th June (Sunday)
Leinster SHC Semi Final   
Kilkenny   v   RR Team/Wexford -     /Wexford
Offaly  v  Westmeath – O'Connor Park, Tullamore

17th June (Sat)/18th June (Sun)
Leinster SHC Semi Final 
Galway/Dublin  v  RR Team/Offaly – TBC

25th June (Sunday)
Leinster SFC Semi Finals (investigating the feasibility of moving
the Louth/Wicklow/Meath v Longford/Laois/Kildare S-Final to previous weekend)

2nd July (Sunday)
Leinster SHC & MHC Final

16th July (Sunday)
Leinster SFC & MFC Final
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BobbyBoucherJr

Leinster Council chairman John Horan has defended the decision to fix Dublin to play in Portlaoise next summer - despite previously ruling the venue unsuitable.
GO TO
Should Carlow beat Wexford in their 2017 championship opener, the All-Ireland champions will travel to O'Moore Park to start the defence of their Leinster Championship on June 3/4.
The decision piqued interest in Laois who were unhappy they weren't permitted to face the Dubs at their home venue last summer and instead travelled to Kilkenny's Nowlan Park.

But Horan explained that they took the "cautious" decision in moving that game to the province's second largest stadium.
Read more: On the road again: Dublin to be taken out of Croke Park for Leinster opener in 2017

"Last year (2016) we done it on the basis that we were going to the biggest venue to test it out, and we were taking a cautious step," he said.
"It hadn't been done in 10 years, the Dublin that's there now is a different Dublin that was there 10 years ago. They have four All-Irelands under their belt in that sense, so we felt that we had to take that cautious step last year and test the market and we tested the market.

"Now we feel we can take another step forward and spread the actual base that Dublin would use. You'd be talking about Wexford, Portlaoise and Tullamore as possible venues, but again it'll be reviewed every year and just see how it goes.
"If there are problems out of it this year, we'll obviously have to review them. But we had no problems last year, Kilkenny did a great job and there was a great atmosphere for anyone that was there."

Leinster took a small financial hit that weekend but Horan puts that down to the fact that their double-header was moved to Saturday night from Sunday due to a Bruce Springsteen concert. And he hinted the arrangement will remain in place for the foreseeable future.
"I think once we had taken the step to take Dublin out, I think going forward that it's a good idea," he said.

Andy06

What utter BS!!
"We assumed that more people would come to Nowlan Park to line our pockets, as this didnt happen we are now willing to put matches elsewhere. Those expensive salaries of the upper GAA have to be paid somehow ya know!"

All seeded teams in the Quarter Finals should be made travel to their opponents home ground, it would level the playing field to some degree and give the weaker counties a sniff of a chance in most cases.

The Monument Road

Heshs Umpire

What a load of shite. Did Portlaoise magically get a bigger stand in the last few months to seat all those Dublin season ticket holders who can't be expected to stand at a game?
I hope that lying f***er gets no votes in his GAA president campaign.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

muppet

Lads, I reckon Nolan Park was used this year to prove its worth for the 2023 Rugby bid. Nothing else made sense then or makes sense now.

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Trump has threatened to bomb Kilkenny back to the confederation days unless the County board takes football seriously. Trumps cabinet is full of hard core corned beef Irish American white nationalist alt right neoconservative Gaelic football purists.And they are determined to destroy Obama''s legacy including the black card and the GPA Obamacare plan. Even thought Trump is a fan of manliness he has reached the end of his tether with Cody and his contempt for the big ball.  Trump has offered Kilkenny positive coverage on Breitbart and for Thurles to  to be dissed as a kip across the dark Internet.  The Tipp lads think it is all above board but this is the post fact world lads.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Don Draper

Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2016, 01:04:46 AM
Trump has threatened to bomb Kilkenny back to the confederation days unless the County board takes football seriously. Trumps cabinet is full of hard core corned beef Irish American white nationalist alt right neoconservative Gaelic football purists.And they are determined to destroy Obama''s legacy including the black card and the GPA Obamacare plan. Even thought Trump is a fan of manliness he has reached the end of his tether with Cody and his contempt for the big ball.  Trump has offered Kilkenny positive coverage on Breitbart and for Thurles to  to be dissed as a kip across the dark Internet.  The Tipp lads think it is all above board but this is the post fact world lads.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Just updating this thread as its almost here now. Didn't think we'd be going into our first game coming from a disastrous league showing but as they say, "we are where we are" and we have to get behind the lads now and try to salvage something from this year.
It's now more important than ever that we put in a few good performances in the championship because if moral falls any lower we could be in real trouble with lads not committing to the panel for our stint in Div.4.
We have to put everything into the Longford game and just playing Kildare will bring out the best in us, whether that will be good enough I don't know but we have to go out and give it everything.
I still think we have the ability to pull of at least one good performance so lets get behind the lads and give it a real good go....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Are we still going to field? Would not be as well just ask them to excuse us for this year maybe? That we're not feeling up to it, and we'll be back in 2018.

redsetanta

It's hard to see anything other than a short summer.

If we manage to beat Longford our neighbours will do a number on us and as we've seen in recent years we have no appetite for the qualifiers. The lads will then have 4 or 5 weeks off before the start of the club championship.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

Quote from: Don Draper on April 06, 2017, 08:53:32 AM
Are we still going to field? Would not be as well just ask them to excuse us for this year maybe? That we're not feeling up to it, and we'll be back in 2018.

I know you said that tongue in cheek, but it's about all that's left for us to do. We're closer to not fielding than we are to winning anything, so why not? I'd be the sort of person who would never enter into anything if you can't win it, and I think that attitude is already out there. I heard an interview with Johnny Magee earlier in the year, and he as good as said he was laughed at by Wicklow lads when he invited them in. I wonder if some of the lads who come in and out of our own panel don't feel the same? Let's call a spade a spade, Croke Park don't give a bollix about us. We could drop off the map and they'd be happy as long as Dublin and Kerry are around. Our own CB are probably waiting for the Leinster position to come up, so who is actually fighting our corner? You wouldn't put a boxer into a contest three divisions above his weight, and that essentially is what Leinster and the All Ireland series has become. Dublin's second team would undoubtedly beat us, so I have to wonder what are we even at. It'd be some craic to ring up Aogan O Monkeycrap or whatever his name is and say we're opting out for a few years to get the house in order. Fanciful maybe, but it might get a proper debate started. It's souls destroying dropping further and further down the ladder.

Don Draper

Our CB is even more deluded than I thought if they think one of them is getting a Leinster position.

Tony

I'm actually looking forward to the championship - based purely on the fact that surely it can't get any worse than the league and there's a small chance we'll perform.

We never have a chance of actually winning it, High Fielder. We're always at least a division below the heavyweights (and 2-3 behind them now). Even in 2003 - 2006 we never really challenged the real top teams when it mattered and didn't get beyond quarters.

I'm not into the whole waving the white flag business - I know most of what you're saying is in jest but I'm of the opinion that we have to do the best we can, regardless of who commits or injuries etc..

For sure, we might lose to Longford and then Leitrim in the qualifiers, but there's ALWAYS that small chance that we can pull something off. Much like the Monaghan game a few years back, the 2-12 to 0-12 (when we were written off completely or the match or Tyrone in 06 after being written off vs the dubs.

Sometimes when Laois are written off the most, we come out with the best displays (just look at recent matches of us vs Dublin - being the extreme underdog seems to bring out the best in Laois teams. Yes we lost to Dubs but the displays were never embarrassing - in fact we put it up to them for large spells.) And for that reason and the 10% chance that well do well, I'm looking forward to it. We expect the worst anyway. Something just tells me that when our injuried parties return and we (fingers crossed) have almost all fit and ready, and we get serious about the task ahead, that we might actually have an ok championship.

I wonder is there any chance of Cahir coming back this year. I know he said he's likely back in 2018 but we could really need him in FB line.

Brody,
Healy, Timmons, Booth.

Now there's a fb line you can set your watch to.

Clubber Lang

I have constantly questioned the commitment of a couple our county players who remained on the panel/team year in year out and never committed to doing the hard work on the field of tackling and sacrificing themselves to cover back, win dirty ball etc.. It's that determination to win and give it your all for your county that has been sadly lacking. Due to serous lack of competition for places over the years these lads have got away with it and been pampered to their whole careers. If pulled up on their lack of appetite/commitment/work-rate their response has been generally to tell management to f**k off. In their eyes they are never to blame when teams like Tipperary, Antrim, Clare outwork us and show more desire to win in championship games. Now that we have been relegated to Division 4, maybe some soul searching might finally take place and that these lads might realise what is needed in order to complete at this level and hopefully we will get some response come the championship. I have read a number of posters on this forum questioning why Healy commits to the hurlers over the footballers. The last two performances by our hurlers against Wexford and Kerry showed huge heart, commitment and desire-while they mightn't win a Leinster championship there is still huge satisfaction knowing that you as a team have given everything to the cause on the field of play. Could all our footballers say the same after Sunday's game. I'm probably being naive but surely these lads will want to restore some self pride and put in a respectable championship run.