Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

So, the draw has been made - however from the news reports that I have seen I am unsure of who faces who - whether or not the table topper gets Offaly or Wexford.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

Won't be decided until May, I believe. Probably after the round-robin series is over, so all teams will be trying to win the group and not throwing a match the get the (possibly) cushy second spot. I must say, I think Leix will be doing well to get out of that group at all - whether second place or top - and on this year's form they certainly wouldn't have.

Helix

I see Willie Hyland has retired according to Leinster express website. Best if luck to him. He'll probably be club hurler of the year in 2017 like the last lads to retire (Darren Maher in 2015 and Butch in 2016)
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

redsetanta

How old is Willie, he's hardly 30 yet is he?

I know it's very easy for us to say but I thought with the better set up in place and decent performances from the hurlers some of these lads would have stayed on longer. You could see how delighted Hyland was after beating Offaly in 2015.

Maybe it's a case of thinking it isn't going to get any better after Cheddar. I do hope we don't start slipping back again after what Cheddar achieved.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Yeh, just reading the Leinster there. Says it's hip injuries that are the reason. Pity as he was the only man in our forward line who could catch a ball from our puck out. Haven't seen anything close to him in that regard coming through.
It's one step forward and two steps back.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

He might be 28 but he has some amount of hurling done. Between club, colleges and county.

As well as his commitment and contribution on the field one thing that stands out for me with Willie was his role in changing the structures and investment in hurling in Laois. His open letter to the county board was a turning point which brought in Cheddar etc. Although we are not there yet by a long shot, I hope that in future we will look back and see the role he and Cheddar played in improving Laois hurling.

tcrilly

Going to be tough for the hurlers but should easily retain Liam McCarthy status, cant see us beating Offaly should we meet them unfortunately and I hope that I am wrong, maybe its wexfords turn for a shock defeat should we get out of round robin stages, who knows, one can only hope and get out and support the team through thick and thin

Ogie

Senior hurling panel met for the first time tonight, starting training next Saturday.
Best of luck to all involved

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ogie on November 27, 2016, 12:04:48 AM
Senior hurling panel met for the first time tonight, starting training next Saturday.
Best of luck to all involved
Management team completed?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

New faces? How many training? Anyone got full panel?

Ogie

Eamonn Kelly Manager
Conor Gleeson hurling coach
DJ ?? Strength & conditioning
John Taylor on board as one selector
Second selector being brought on board as well

professional set up presented with a hectic schedule this side of xmass

Few new faces including Eoin Fleming, & returning faces including Darren Maher

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ogie on November 27, 2016, 05:41:01 PM
Eamonn Kelly Manager

Wouldn't be shocked to see Fleming take the Number 1 jersey.

Also Taylor not a bad choice as a selector.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

tcrilly

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 27, 2016, 10:12:47 PM
Quote from: Ogie on November 27, 2016, 05:41:01 PM
Eamonn Kelly Manager

Wouldn't be shocked to see Fleming take the Number 1 jersey.

Also Taylor not a bad choice as a selector.

Any news on other newcomers? And Eoin Fleming should be given the nod in goal as he is less prone to blunders, and John Taylor is a decent choice as selector, whether you are in Portlaoise or borris in ossory, you could see John Taylor at games so he knows whats there

Helix

I see Ollie Moran of Ahane in Limerick part of the back room team this morning. Involved with Limerick u21s and good wealth of experience no doubt. Hopefully the Laois lads can buy into it. There's hardly any chance Joe Fitzpatrick get to involved again with Laois?
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail