Leinster U-21 Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 07, 2016, 01:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Cassidy

Great win tonight against a Louth team who had a championship game under their belts and in Burns have a gem of a forward. In saying that Laois have a gem in Moore who's still very young and will get better and stronger.

Lutteral and Buggie were very good and the senior exposure has brought them on. Hope a good crowd turns up next Wednesday against the old enemy. We need to be more disciplined and can't afford anymore red cards. Momentum is a great thing in sport and hopefully this is the start of a good run

theoldvet

Nice to win at home for a change,
If you strike your off, would players cop themselves on.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: theoldvet on March 08, 2017, 11:28:13 PM
Nice to win at home for a change,
If you strike your off, would players cop themselves on.
Agree, it was a silly, needless red card and that's the second time in a few days we have lost a man through indiscipline. Lads have to be made realise that you are not doing your team any favours by being sent off and it doesn't make you any more of a man, in fact its the total opposite.

Having said that the team worked hard and managed to get through with 14 men. It was a fairly impressive display but we wouldn't want to get carried away just yet, we probably missed as much as we scored and against a better team we could have been struggling to win that one. I wish lads would stop bigging up Sean Moore, he has class but as yet he's no "Beano" as Jack Nolan suggested earlier this week.

We tend to get carried away in this county when we see a lad who's a bit above the rest and before we know it he starts to believe all the hype and that brings a lot of pressure on any young man. Leave him be and let him develop at his own pace, he certainly has what it takes to be a very good player but even tonight he missed a few scores that could have been disastrous if it were a close game. The less pressure lads like that feel the better they will play and confidence will grow.

Look at Ryan Burns tonight, he was being talked about all week and tonight he was very ordinary as we had him picked out as a marked man. We certainly would have had a few penalties tonight but unfortunately the ref was an Offaly man.....

http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/03/08/3582/
http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/sport/239075/moore-inspires-14-man-laois-into-leinster-u-21-semi-finals.html
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

Sean Moore has been flagged for quite a while,  comparison's to Beano it's up to Moore what he does with it.   

Unlaoised

Not going to score the young lads but here is my takings on what I saw last night
1. Aaron Cooney :Has a decent punt on him and picked out a few lovely shot kickouts not the most composed on the ball and had one very nervy moment early on but can be happy with his nights work

2. James Kelly Another good game from the Joes man really looked the part and the crowd warm to him when he gets stuck in.Still needs to work on getting turned when he is too tight.

3. Shane Nerney I was impressed with Shane all night had a tough final few minutes on Burns but who wouldn't he came out with three or four high balls and looked very solid

4. Trevor Collins The Graige man showed up well after a slow start very strong on  the ball and a good rate rate.Best game for a while in a Laois shirt

5. Patrick O'Sullivan Had a lot of running down early doors which seemed to take it out of the legs and mind as he passed a few balls away in the second half but still overall was very decent

6. Eoin Buggie Showed his senior experience kicked one great score and was good on Burns for the majority of the game.Did loose him for the first goal but recovered to shine at number 6

7. Daniel O'Reilly Carried the ball very well at times and it took a lot out of the Louth players to stay with him.Runs down blind alleys sometimes but did chip in with a lovely point and his run with the seniors showed in the physical battle.

8. David Connolly Was winning his midfield battle before the harsh red card seemed to just shug the Louth player off the ball when he was holding him,hopefully there can be an appeal.

9. Danny Luttrell Caught some great ball in the second half and ran at Louth when ever he had the chance.Maybe he could lay the ball off sooner but this game should give him great confidence going forward.

10. Darragh Connolly Was running the Louth Senior number five ragged in the first 20 minutes before he got injured his pass for the goal was a thing of beauty.He is very pacey and very strong hopefully he is back for next wednesday

11. Brian Daly Scored one great point and was unlucky with a few more.Got through a great amount of work and is strong and composed .Can sometimes get bottled up on the solo run which is slow at times but he will learn from that.

12. Conor Whelehan Scored a nice point and got through a lot of work up and down the field one lovely move with Moore that should have resulted in a goal.

13. Colm Murphy Worked back out the field for most of the night and didn't probably get on as much ball as he would have liked but he was full of hard work and tracked runners very well .

14. Sean Moore Wow what a player he did miss a few scorable chances he would usually get and that will annoy him but he is a joy to watch.His movement off the ball is a thing of beauty.He can score ,His handpassing is crisp and deadly and one thing of note is his tackling he seems to be able to win a ball back from nothing .1-4 from play is a nice return.

15. Brian Byrne Got into a few scrable positions but was afraid to use his left foot .Showed well and linked well with Moore while he was on.

Subs Knowles Was impressed with the Stradbally man he hit hard and was composed on a lot of ball he got.Maybe needs to work on his fitness was blowing hard near the end.

Doyle Another who did well when introduced won a few nice frees and picked up a lot of loose ball

Carroll and Piggott werent on too long to say that much about but did both contribute in the final stages to close the win out.

Great boost for the county going forward and I hope we can get a good crowd to Carlow next wednesday night to support them .

I won't be getting carried away Louth had some very weak players and looked a bit all over the place as regards tactics even with the extra man.

Laois showed good structure and great fight.their tackling skills are a lot better than the seniors but maybe thats because we were on a par physically with Louth wheres we don't look on a par at senior level sometimes.

Moore is the obivious standout I won't be comparing him to Beano or anyone just yet but his talent is there for all to see.

Delighted for the few in on the senior panel to all have very good games this should bring their confidence on no end.

Hope Creedon is patient with them.Tough game last night another game next wednesday I think they should be used sparingly against Antrim on the 19th as its a lot to ask them to play 3 games like that in 10-11 days.

Bring on the Biffos

LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

Delighted to see the lads on the senior panel all having good games. It's been a tough few weeks for them generally but that should pick them back up a bit.

I don't know any more about what constitutes a "strike". I hope we're not going the same road that soccer went.

steven seagal

I didn't see what the Connolly chap got sent off for, but in terms of the game in general, anything approaching physical contact was a free. The yellow card O'Sullivan got for meeting a lad with a perfectly executed should was shocking. That guy last night was the fella who reffed the game against Meath in O'Byrne Cup and gave that phantom penalty, so I suppose we shouldn't have been surprised. Still some woeful calls though.

Clubber Lang

For those couple of posters who were asking for the management team to be axed hopefully last night's performance will help them to realise the strengths Creedon brings to the county. The U21s have been exposed to quality training with the senior team and competing with the likes of O'Loughlin, Munnelly, Kingston etc for the past number of months. Those who have stepped up have been rewarded with playing time in the league-furthering their development again. It's no coincidence that these lads gave a very good account of themselves against what was considered a good Louth team last night. Credit where credit is due. Hopefully next week the team can step it up again and qualify for a Leinster Final. There are definitely 3/4 of these lads capable of making a Laois starting championship team this year if they continue to develop and gain experience of playing at inter-county level. Creedon by the looks of things is giving them every chance and is also reminding our more established players that if they don't perform then there are lads behind them who will be more than happy/capable of taking their positions on the team. Things will not change over night-losses to Louth and Tipperary are inevitable when blooding new players and putting new structures/systems (especially defensive ones) in place will take time. You can't blame Creedon for lads not being able to tackle properly on the senior team as that is something that would appear not to have been developed properly throughout their time on Laois underage panels/previous management teams/involvement with our Gaelic development coaches. I did think Laois stayed defensively solid last night when down to 14 men which is encouraging and would indicate that Creedon and his team are improving upon this Achilles heel found in Laois GAA teams the last number of years.     

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great post Clubber, not for a long time have I seen a Laois team defend as good as that and seem to know what they were at too. They have a system and tweaked it perfectly when they went a man down. The defending was solid and not just the usual sticking out of the hand and letting your man go by you, legal hits were going in and lads stood their ground when necessary. This happened throughout the field starting from the forwards. Sean Moore dispossessed a defender brilliantly near the end but then missed an easy chance to score from that. It would have been a brilliant score had he made it but this guy seems to be coming along nicely. Hopefully he won't be forced to play senior too soon as has happened to a lot of good lads in the past.

Is Tom Shiel injured or has he left the panel??         

Don Draper

Good stuff out of the boys last night, credit where its due. Still, it was only Louth, and should be tempered as such. Lets get the job done against Offaly and get back to a provincial football final again. Between this and last year, it'd be great to see us in minor and u21 football finals again.

Unlaoised

Tom shield was in the panel last night and is coming back from injury!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Thanks Unlaoised, he will be a great addition to the team. We have yet to see the best of him in a Laois jersey..

Uisce

Good win last night, few standouts but thought it was a very good team performance. The sending off didn't have a major impact on the game fortunately. I thought the full back line were very solid, but greater challenges lie ahead! I wouldn't be very confident in the goalie coming out like he did on a few occasions, he didn't look very comfortable, he might have been watching Brody a bit too much!

Looking forward to the Offaly game and a similar performance from Laois!

Tony

I agree with Clubber Lang there, good post. It's easy to forget sometimes - what you surround yourself with in terms of your team mates or competition improves you or makes you worse. For example, those u-21s getting senior experience with JOL, Kingstons etc - that will bring on their standard. It works both ways, though. If a team is in Division 1 and Division 2 - they're playing against top opposition week in week out, and so you develop as a player because of the higher standard (just like most things in life). Here's hoping that the seniors at least stay in Division 3 this year for that reason. Conversely, mixing with Division 4 teams is not going to improve anyone's standard.

Great to see the u-21's performing so well and so maturely. When we went a man down, I thought we might have imploded. Louth are a good side, we made them look average. An u-21 leinster football final would do very nicely indeed, with the added bonus of maybe 3-5 lads graduating to the seniors with a good crop of minors behind them. Hopefully we get a good crowd down in Carlow.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on March 09, 2017, 08:27:44 PM
Conversely, mixing with Division 4 teams is not going to improve anyone's standard.

Well at least we would be guaranteed that we won't get relegated for a change!

Anyone know how good Offaly are at this level?

Of course if we say they are good before the game, we will say they were awful if we beat them, that seems to be the way in Laois.