Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: beano on September 21, 2016, 10:25:02 PM

4) Do what Kildare have done and enter a team in Leinster junior championship as a developmental under 23 team.

None of the above need full time coaches or money but organisation.  Its not exactly rocket science but we in Laois seem to think it is.

Kildare's recent junior team has only been a token effort since players from senior clubs are no longer allowed to take part (coupled with no money to fund it). Usually 2 or 3 fringe panellists with a collection of whatever club players answer a call to turn up. The year before last a minor player from my club played for Kildare juniors but didn't make the county minor panel.
In McGeeney's years it was useful though and unearthed a couple of players.

redsetanta

Laois getting good coverage from Eir. Will pubs that have  sky be able to show these games?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

town1980

Laois well beaten by Clare to nite I hear any reports????

Butch Cassidy

Where did they play Clare? Did they play a match during the week too?

Laoiseabu

County Man

A must win game against Louth this Saturday. Dont care how its done.

Armagh away will be very tricky as will Tipperary at home in round 3.

I hear Johnno is out for at least 6 weeks. A very big loss.

les Antiques

Looks like Donie is out for Saturday. The Laois midfield pairing should be interesting .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on February 01, 2017, 10:01:35 AM
Looks like Donie is out for Saturday. The Laois midfield pairing should be interesting .
Peter O Leary played midfield once for Laois. Scored 1-1. You don't need to be a skyscraper to survive there, we've just gotten used to having them.

les Antiques

Peter O'Leary was an experienced campaigner when he played midfield for us in the O'Byrne Cup as did Billy Sheehan and a few more .  Your right in saying you don't need to be a skyscraper to survive there but there seems to a distinct lack of options around the middle compared to previous Laois panels .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on February 01, 2017, 10:21:47 AM
Peter O'Leary was an experienced campaigner when he played midfield for us in the O'Byrne Cup as did Billy Sheehan and a few more .  Your right in saying you don't need to be a skyscraper to survive there but there seems to a distinct lack of options around the middle compared to previous Laois panels .
Darren Strong would do a job midfield. As would and has Colm Begley. Stephen Attride would put in a shift too. Sean Ram could put in 35 minutes there. Lillis would operate there, as would Alan Farrell. Small bit of shuffling of the pack. We're well used to that at this stage. We've been spoiled at midfield for a bit now.

redsetanta

Aside from who could play at midfield losing both O'Loughlin and Donie for this game is a worry. Donie in particular has been flying. Who is going to put up the type of score that Donie has been hitting.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

Robbing Peter to Paul scenario regarding Strong and Attride ,but yes shuffling the pack is what we will have too do . Begley been the best option perhaps . Gary Walsh maybe who has played there recently .
Hopefully Paul Kingston can step up to the mark in Donies absence .

Don Draper

Donie's a loss, but perhaps without him there as the focus, a few others will get a bit more possession. Walsh is a good scoregetter, and thrives on a bit of responsibility, Ruairi has been going well lately, Paul might fire a bit out of Donie's shadow, and of course, there's always Moore.

Giovanni

Would agree with Don on this. I think a little more mobility in this area might not be a bad thing at all. I remember that game in Carlow where Peter O Leary scored 1-1 or 1-2 from midfield and was surprised that the experiment wasn't extended a bit. Begley has always been a very sound midfielder in my opinion.

les Antiques

Yeah Begley has always looked comfortable at centre field .