Allianz Football League 2017 - Division 3

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Between '94  and '07 we won 13 Leinster and All Ireland at u21 and Minor grade.
Between '07 and '16 we have won  none  zero.
What has happened has our talent production system  suddenly  dried up completely  ???
Does anyone know why this has happened ??
Is anyone at CB level trying to figure out what has happened .... are they even interested  ??

The feeling out there seems to be that what we're producing now are not good enough and that we will have to wait until the next golden generation comes hopefully in the next 20 years.  This to me is complete and utter Bollix, I've being watching Laois football for 50 years and each and every year we produce players with enough pace and skill to compete as we did between '94 and '07. Ok some years will be better than others but everyone has that problem.
The difference as I said yesterday on another post, the pace and intensity we play at, the teams I've watched recently and their managers look like they are going through the motions "a sure it'll be aal right  when we get out of first gear"

We need to get back to where we were, set a target to win minor and u21 Al by 2026 we have being there before we know THIS can be done and when we have that done stay at it keep wining minor and u21.
This has to be the priority  now.

redsetanta

When we did have a great crop of players we underachieved big time. The gaps between successful minor teams should have given us longevity as we had new players coming through in 2003/2004 and then again in 2007 to compliment the 3 teams from 96/97/98.

As someone already mentioned it could be 20 or 30 years before we see anything close to that again, if ever.

With smaller counties like us it's cyclical so we are not going to churn out enough top class players every year to compete with the better counties.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: OTF on September 20, 2016, 10:05:55 AM
What has happened has our talent production system  suddenly  dried up completely  ???

The Celtic Tiger economy. Too many Tiger cubs who couldn't care less about GAA.

Ballyroan Abbey

As for the Leinster - if we're on the right side of the draw without Dublin, we should aim to beat what's there and try to get to the final. Even if it's Westmeath, kildare or meath - we should aim to beat them. We have the potential to do that. That's my point.

[/quote]

But we dont have the potential, thats the point, and we havent hit the bottom yet, we in laois have a tendency to grossly over estimate the ability of our players, and in the next 4 years its only going to get worse, quigley, timmons, strong, munnelly, cahilane, meaney are all around the 30 + mark.
You said we should be winning an all ireland minor by 2026, we have 2 football GDOs in Laois, most clubs in dublin have more than that, certainly the big ones. I reckon it could take until 2026 for things to improve, it took offaly 10 years to start getting back on track, and that was a county with a much better pedegrie than ours. So ig you think im been overly bleak about Laois football and where we are heading, just look at the recent history of our neighbours above us

Tony

I never said we should be winning minors by 2026, that was someone else. Did anyone see our minor team this year or was that just me? There is talent coming through. Once 4-6 players make it through to be good enough for senior in the coming years : that is talent coming through. Good talent, too. Regarding our current senior crop - I personally think that we can do well - Very good keeper in Brody. Timmons, Begley, Strong, Attride - very good backs, we've a solid midfield in JOL and Quigley and most teams would love to have kingston, O Carroll, Walsh, Cahiline as forwards.

Anyway, it's all opinion at the end of day, I just think we have talent to do better and I don't think it's wild to say we can get promoted / do ok in Leinster with a good managerial setup.

OTF

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on September 20, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

The Celtic Tiger economy. Too many Tiger cubs who couldn't care less about GAA.

Yes I agree with you re the Tiger cubs but every other county has the same problem.
I don't buy into this "good crop" we've always produced good players at this level, ok Dublin, Meath and Kildare because of sheer weight of numbers are going to produce  more and better  players.
Go back to the 60's  two  minor and two  u21, the70's none but produced some of the best players  ever to play for Laois, the 80's two u21 and we know 90's and the 00's
My point is, in any  10 year span  we  have produced top underage teams, what happens to them after that is a different matter.
As others are pointing out there is talent ... of course there's talent there always was and always will be but right now this talent is not being developed /coached anywhere near properly.
We need to go back and talk to those who were in charge 20yrs ago for some sort of guidance as to where we should go from here.

The Monument Road

Laois didn't win an u21 AI in that time frame....we have never won at u21 bar a few leinster. ..we did win 3 minor AI during the good years

OTF

Quote from: The Monument Road on September 21, 2016, 12:10:40 PM
Laois didn't win an u21 AI in that time frame....we have never won at u21 bar a few leinster. ..we did win 3 minor AI during the good years

Really we all know that... 

The Monument Road

first line of yor post OTF  ???

Thewildcat

Quote from: OTF on September 21, 2016, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on September 21, 2016, 12:10:40 PM

Really we all know that...

if you did know, why did you write that they won u21  ???

beano

Having followed Laois for the past 30 odd years I have come to the conclusion that it is the "culture" at adult level that is preventing us from achieving at the highest level. We always go on about underage (recently the lack off!) as been the be all and end off, however if the culture and set up at senior level isn't right it doesn't matter if we win ten all- Ireland's or none! Id rather be winning as this is a good habit but we shouldn't despair if we aren't. I'd like to see standards raised from 18-24 rather than look at a minor year in isolation.  If we are honest only for Micko the "Golden Generation" of Laois footballers would have been lost. Looking at it at a more deeper level (Why Micko was a success and others not) and ask yourself why was this ? I have come to the conclusion that he brought a "Professional Culture" to the plate  1) Fitness levels increased 2) Best Players played 3) He developed and improved players 4) Gave players belief and 5) he united the county.

People seem to think that it was easy for Micko to do this on the back of three All-Ireland minor appearances however I believe that he would have done the same thing with the Laois teams of 1991-1997 that didn't have any minor success and I would argue that the 1990s team was actually more skillful and physically stronger team than the one that won Leinster.

McNulty tried to impose a "Culture" and was relatively successful.

So that the point I am making is that its not all doom and gloom.We are producing players of a decent standard however our Culture post minor is weak, what I mean with culture is that there is an ambition among players and teams to improve their skill and fitness levels post minor. I get the impression that some seem to think what once they get past minor all they have to do is keep somewhat fit and hey presto they can play football. The adult structures in laois and the attitude towards the league doesnt help. Take Sean Moore in Ballyfin, his club pulls out of league and only plays championship matches, prob only gets 3/4 matches this year. How is he supposed to develop as a footballer physically and mentally?

What annoys me is the arguments that are consistently put forward such as 1) Population 2) Money and 3) Lack of full time coaches 4) small county we should know our place in the GAA world  as barriers to success. Yes the first three would help the cause however rather than feeling sorry for ourselves we should be a little more proactive which wouldn't cost any money such as

1) More Juvenille and Adult games throughout the year. Make the league as important as championship 12/14 games min for every club.

2) Designated Nights for different age groups eg u8 + U12 Hurling/football monday nights (Ever second week)
                                                                              u10-U14  Hurling/football Thursday nights
County Development Night (Wednesdays)

3) Up skill all club coaches and make clubs implement a development plan  more training courses get in guest coaches.

4) Do what Kildare have done and enter a team in Leinster junior championship as a developmental under 23 team.

None of the above need full time coaches or money but organisation.  Its not exactly rocket science but we in Laois seem to think it is.

SCFC

Quote from: beano on September 21, 2016, 10:25:02 PM
Having followed Laois for the past 30 odd years I have come to the conclusion that it is the "culture" at adult level that is preventing us from achieving at the highest level. We always go on about underage (recently the lack off!) as been the be all and end off, however if the culture and set up at senior level isn't right it doesn't matter if we win ten all- Ireland's or none! Id rather be winning as this is a good habit but we shouldn't despair if we aren't. I'd like to see standards raised from 18-24 rather than look at a minor year in isolation.  If we are honest only for Micko the "Golden Generation" of Laois footballers would have been lost. Looking at it at a more deeper level (Why Micko was a success and others not) and ask yourself why was this ? I have come to the conclusion that he brought a "Professional Culture" to the plate  1) Fitness levels increased 2) Best Players played 3) He developed and improved players 4) Gave players belief and 5) he united the county.

People seem to think that it was easy for Micko to do this on the back of three All-Ireland minor appearances however I believe that he would have done the same thing with the Laois teams of 1991-1997 that didn't have any minor success and I would argue that the 1990s team was actually more skillful and physically stronger team than the one that won Leinster.

McNulty tried to impose a "Culture" and was relatively successful.

So that the point I am making is that its not all doom and gloom.We are producing players of a decent standard however our Culture post minor is weak, what I mean with culture is that there is an ambition among players and teams to improve their skill and fitness levels post minor. I get the impression that some seem to think what once they get past minor all they have to do is keep somewhat fit and hey presto they can play football. The adult structures in laois and the attitude towards the league doesnt help. Take Sean Moore in Ballyfin, his club pulls out of league and only plays championship matches, prob only gets 3/4 matches this year. How is he supposed to develop as a footballer physically and mentally?

What annoys me is the arguments that are consistently put forward such as 1) Population 2) Money and 3) Lack of full time coaches 4) small county we should know our place in the GAA world  as barriers to success. Yes the first three would help the cause however rather than feeling sorry for ourselves we should be a little more proactive which wouldn't cost any money such as

1) More Juvenille and Adult games throughout the year. Make the league as important as championship 12/14 games min for every club.

2) Designated Nights for different age groups eg u8 + U12 Hurling/football monday nights (Ever second week)
                                                                              u10-U14  Hurling/football Thursday nights
County Development Night (Wednesdays)

3) Up skill all club coaches and make clubs implement a development plan  more training courses get in guest coaches.

4) Do what Kildare have done and enter a team in Leinster junior championship as a developmental under 23 team.

None of the above need full time coaches or money but organisation.  Its not exactly rocket science but we in Laois seem to think it is.
I like your points 1 and 4. We need a junior team. And there simply aren't enough club games.

Ballyroan Abbey

With regards to the league, the system at the moment is a disaster especially in the lower leagues where there are endless walkovers, id rather they went with the same format as the hurling and have divisions of 8 and forget home and away and this a and b shite.
We played a league semi after finishing 2nd in 1b and were hammered by the heath in the semi, same thing happened in the other semi, same thing happened in the division 2 and 3 finals, there was i believe 58 teams entered in the league, have 6 divisions of 8 and the bottom division have 2 groups of 5 based on location because teams do find it hard to get teams for junior c league.
Id much rather have 7 very competitive league matches than very lacklusture efforts or endless walkovers

Helix

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on September 23, 2016, 09:58:47 PM
With regards to the league, the system at the moment is a disaster especially in the lower leagues where there are endless walkovers, id rather they went with the same format as the hurling and have divisions of 8 and forget home and away and this a and b shite.
We played a league semi after finishing 2nd in 1b and were hammered by the heath in the semi, same thing happened in the other semi, same thing happened in the division 2 and 3 finals, there was i believe 58 teams entered in the league, have 6 divisions of 8 and the bottom division have 2 groups of 5 based on location because teams do find it hard to get teams for junior c league.
Id much rather have 7 very competitive league matches than very lacklusture efforts or endless walkovers
+1
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Junior Ex Laoistalk

eir Sport announces expanded Allianz Leagues coverage
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265422

Some great coverage by eir Sport..

04/02/17: Mayo v Monaghan (F)
04/02/17: Down v Fermanagh (F)
04/02/17: Laois v Louth (F)

11/02/17: Dublin v Tipperary (H)
11/02/17: Cork v Clare (H)
11/02/17: Dublin v Tyrone (F)
11/02/17: Kerry v Mayo (F)

18/02/17: Cork v Dublin (H)
18/02/17: Laois v Offaly (H)

25/02/17: Mayo v Roscommon (F)
25/02/17: Laois v Tipperary (F)
25/02/17: Down v Meath (F)

04/03/17: Dublin v Waterford (H)
04/03/17: Cavan v Donegal (F)
04/03/17: Dublin v Mayo (F)
04/03/17: Tyrone v Monaghan (F)

11/03/17: Tipperary v Kilkenny (H)
11/03/17: Laois v Limerick (H)

18/03/17: Kerry v Dublin (F)
18/03/17: Donegal v Tyrone (F)
18/03/17: Down v Kildare (F)

25/03/17: Dublin v Roscommon (F)
25/03/17: Laois v Longford (F)

Some on TG4 too....

Saturday 4 February
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship Semi-Final
St Thomas' (Galway)  v  Ballyea (Clare), Live from Semple Stadium, Thurles (5pm)

Sunday 5 February
Allianz Football League – Round 1
Live:  Cavan v Dublin, Kingspan Breffni Park, Cavan
Deferred:  Donegal v Kerry, O'Donnell Park, Letterkenny

Saturday 11 February
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship Semi-Finals
Slaughtneil (Derry) v St Vincents (Dublin), Páirc Esler, Newry (2pm)
Corofin (Galway) v Dr. Crokes (Kerry), Gaelic Grounds, Limerick (4pm)

Sunday 12 February
Live: Kilkenny v Waterford, Nowlan Park, Kilkenny (Allianz Hurling League – Round 1)
Deferred: Roscommon v Donegal, Dr.Hyde Park, Roscommon (Allianz Football League – Round 2)

Saturday 18 February
Independent.ie Sigerson Cup Final  -  Live from the Connacht GAA Centre, Mayo

Sunday 19 February
Allianz Hurling League – Round 2
Live:  Waterford v Tipperary, Walsh Park, Waterford
Deferred: Clare v Kilkenny, Cusack Park, Ennis

Saturday 25 February
Independent.ie Fitzgibbon Cup Final, Live from Pearse Stadium, Galway (1:00pm, hosted by NUIG)
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship Semi-Final  -  Cuala (Dublin) v Slaughtneil (Derry), Athletic Grounds, Armagh (3pm)

Sunday 26 February
Allianz Football League – Round 3  (Live match and deferred match)

Sunday 5th March
Allianz Football League – Round 4 and Allianz Hurling League – Round 3  (Live match and deferred match)

Friday 10 March
Gradaim an Uachtaráin (GAA President Awards), Live from Croke Park at 7:30pm

Sunday 12 March
Allianz Hurling League (Round 4)  -  Live match and deferred match
Live coverage of the O'Connor Cup Final from Elverys McHale Park, Castlebar

Friday 17 March
AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling and Football Championship Finals, Live from Croke Park

Sunday 19 March
Allianz Football League (Round 5)  -  Live match and deferred match

Sunday 26 March
Allianz Football League (Round 6) and Allianz Hurling League (Round 5) - Live match and deferred match

Sunday 2 April
Allianz Football League (Round 7)  and  Allianz Hurling League Quarter Finals  (Live match and deferred match)

Saturday 8 April
Allianz Football League Finals – Division 3 & 4 Finals

Sunday 9 April
Allianz Football League Finals – Division 1 & 2 Finals

Saturday 15 April
All-Ireland U21 Football Championship Semi Finals

Sunday 16 April
Allianz Hurling League – Semi Finals

Sunday 23 April
Littlewoods Ireland Camogie League Final
Allianz Hurling League Final

Saturday 29 April
All-Ireland U21 Football Final

Sunday 30 April
Lidl Ladies Football Division 3 and 4 League Finals

Sunday 7 May
Lidl Ladies Football Division 1 and 2 League Finals
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!