Laois GAA website

Started by redsetanta, July 19, 2016, 12:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave like the tv channel

U12 Div3 was available until recently. U12 Div1 & 2 fixtures all messed up. It's a lack of basic attention to detail that I find frustrating.

redsetanta

Who is actually in charge of maintaining and updated the Laois GAA officialk website? It's a joke still. Nothing about the Leinster final at all in the news section. Two tabs for county fixtures and results and both are blank. We had minor hurlers, u20 footballers in the past week and no mention at all.
Evening a lad doing it part time on a few quid a week would have the time to do this. Surely no more than a few hours required. County news and results are totally neglected.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: redsetanta on June 19, 2018, 04:01:59 PM
Who is actually in charge of maintaining and updated the Laois GAA officialk website? It's a joke still. Nothing about the Leinster final at all in the news section. Two tabs for county fixtures and results and both are blank. We had minor hurlers, u20 footballers in the past week and no mention at all.
Evening a lad doing it part time on a few quid a week would have the time to do this. Surely no more than a few hours required. County news and results are totally neglected.

Agree, it's a total disgrace. Our first Leinster Final for 11 years and our official county website has nothing about it.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Andy06

Quote from: redsetanta on June 19, 2018, 04:01:59 PM

As far as I am concerned, here and LaoisToday are the official Laois GAA websites! That other one is just a waste of good domain name!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Agree Andy, this site has developed into a fantastic outlet for Laois people to find news about everything GAA related in Laois. We have a lot of intelligent and well informed people here who can debate and argue most times without insulting each other.

This is my go to site every day to find out the latest news and gossip about the GAA in Laois. Since Laois Today came on stream we now have another fantastic resource to avail of and it provides far more info that the so called "Official Laois Website". Whoever is responsible for that site should either shut it down or put some effort into it and make it worth visiting as at the moment it's useless.

I'm not sure how many members we have here but I would encourage everyone to let fellow Laois supporters know about this site. There are a lot of people who love to talk about GAA in Laois but the only website they know about and visit is the official one. Maybe Laois Today would post up a link to our place and encourage people to come in and have a bit of chat and banter... and a cup of tae.. :)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Shut down laoisgaa? What the f**k? Are you going to do the fixtures results and tables?!!

You lads are f**king mental at times.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Don Draper on June 20, 2018, 05:48:31 AM
Shut down laoisgaa? What the f**k? Are you going to do the fixtures results and tables?!!

Agreed but there is no other reason to visit the site.
Maybe they should strip back the site and just use it for results, team announcements,
Maybe a link to the Facebook and Twitter feeds too as they seem to be the main communication methods these days.
Websites seem to be dying a death for GAA clubs these days.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Don Draper

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on June 20, 2018, 08:48:27 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 20, 2018, 05:48:31 AM

Agreed but there is no other reason to visit the site.
Maybe they should strip back the site and just use it for results, team announcements,
Maybe a link to the Facebook and Twitter feeds too as they seem to be the main communication methods these days.
Websites seem to be dying a death for GAA clubs these days.
The website itself needs a lot of work, its been let go to rack and ruin in recent years, I presume its the office and IT Officers job to take care of it, and its not being done.

BUT, as you no doubt know, the tables, fixtures, results are an excellent resource. I remember and I'm sure you do too, back in the day trying to find results, and you'd get the top one or two tables printed in the Leinster every couple of weeks at best. Its naive and ignorant in the extreme to say shut it down. It could do more, but its still doing plenty.

Giovanni

Just so that you might inform yourself a little Don, this is what a GAA website can look like

https://www.dublingaa.ie/

I'm sure you'll have all the smartass ripostes about Dublin's resources now....

But it seems Longford are able to do it too:

http://longfordgaa.ie/

There isn't a poster here who would prefer to see the Laois website shut down but it's fair to say that they are putting little or no effort into it. Putting up the fixtures on a website is hardly the pinnacle of information management in the GAA, is it? If you go through all 32 counties, you'll hardly find a worse example of public relations.

Heshs Umpire

Ah I don't think anyone would seriously suggest not having a website but a good tidy up is needed. It's great for results and league  tables in general.
Kildare site seems to be very poor too.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on June 20, 2018, 09:51:09 AM
Just so that you might inform yourself a little Don, this is what a GAA website can look like

https://www.dublingaa.ie/

I'm sure you'll have all the smartass ripostes about Dublin's resources now....

But it seems Longford are able to do it too:

http://longfordgaa.ie/

There isn't a poster here who would prefer to see the Laois website shut down but it's fair to say that they are putting little or no effort into it. Putting up the fixtures on a website is hardly the pinnacle of information management in the GAA, is it? If you go through all 32 counties, you'll hardly find a worse example of public relations.
Excuse me, but a poster did suggest shutting it down. Even if it is a hape of shit, it is still vital for club results and tables. So no matter what it is, once its doing that, it is fulfilling a remit.

Dublin cannot be compared, that is being run by a professional entity.

What needs to be done is to find out who is in charge of the website and ask why nothing is being done about it.

And I'm sure we'd find a few shambolic efforts from around the country if we looked.

Giovanni

Fair enough Don. Apologies.

I think it is fair of the lads on here to want/expect a bit better than we can see right now.

Website maintenance is not a difficult thing and probably wouldn't need more than a half day a week so it should be possible to do better.

recyclebin

Looks like the Laois GAA website got a refresh. Fixtures still as bad as ever though . No sign of Laois inter-county league fixtures to be found!

SCFC

Quote from: recyclebin on January 01, 2020, 06:30:52 PM
Looks like the Laois GAA website got a refresh. Fixtures still as bad as ever though . No sign of Laois inter-county league fixtures to be found!
I'd give them a bit of time. New PRO and all that. But first impressions of new site (on smartphone) are pretty underwhelming.

recyclebin

Doesn't seem to be a way to filter fixtures by club anymore . My old bookmark for my club no longer works.
Hopefully they read this forum and fix that. It was very useful!

The archive of results from last few years is also gone. That was handy to have too.