Leinster Minor Hurling Championship 2016

Started by grover, April 07, 2016, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

They're two very good lads so interesting to hear why they are not involved. Is it to do with exams or another reason as suggested by the skull?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

Good question that...

I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a factor...

LOVEGAA

From what Ive heard Robbie Phelan has exams so wouldnt commit and Stephen is doing apprenticeship in Cork and had to drop off earlier in year

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

castletown won the  county minor championship last  year and not one on the starting 15, at least 5 or 6 of the mountrath community school team that got to the leinster a semi final were from castletown, surely one or two of them( young peters full back!) were better than what played on Saturday.

if we don't put out the best 15 minors in the county, then the end game is a guaranteed poor campaign. who is at fault?

LOVEGAA

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on April 11, 2016, 03:02:29 PM
castletown won the  county minor championship last  year and not one on the starting 15, at least 5 or 6 of the mountrath community school team that got to the leinster a semi final were from castletown, surely one or two of them( young peters full back!) were better than what played on Saturday.

if we don't put out the best 15 minors in the county, then the end game is a guaranteed poor campaign. who is at fault?

I suppose its hard for everyone to agree on who is the strongest 15 but in fairness changes were called for long before they happened

From what I can see (and has been the case for a long time) favouritism is still in play in Laois no matter how much this is denied and not just at minor level

In kilkenny you have to fight for your place but in Laois in some cases your place is a given.

merman

To be fair, some of Castletown's (just as an example) best prospects are still U16 and ineligible for county minor.

That said, the inaction on the line was quite worrying on Saturday...

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on April 11, 2016, 06:39:01 PM
To be fair, some of Castletown's (just as an example) best prospects are still U16 and ineligible for county minor.

That said, the inaction on the line was quite worrying on Saturday...

Agreed on both counts. Also many of the big guns from last years minor winning team are overage, including some of those on the Mountrath School team. Regarding Peters, to be fair to those who hurled in the full back line, they didn't do a whole lot wrong.

Thought the line were shocking bad. Not just in terms of substitutions, but with regard to what was happening on the field.
The positioning of our half back line and midfield for our own puckouts in the second half was incredible (in a bad way). Either it was what they were told to do or it should have been corrected.

Game should have been won.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Who is on the management team with the minors?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

LOVEGAA

There seemed to be a fear of taking off some of the "big"names on the day.
If someone is not performing take them off..simple really.

players have off days so no favours being done leaving them on

I do wonder if the line have a different view to spectators or are unwilling to change until too late.

That was a game that coukd and should have been won

Unlaoised

Game was lost on the line from what I could see....Harsh to say it but I think it has to be said
LAOIS ABÚ

finbar o tool

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on April 10, 2016, 11:43:39 AM
Could have went either way. Laois had a goal disallowed when 5/6 up at start of 2nd half and dominating. If it had been allowed I couldn't have imagined an Offaly revival. Like previous poster said, Offaly got to grips with game from 45 mins onwards and began to play with a bit of fire. Laois found it hard to respond. A skillful Laois team but they should have put Offaly to the sword when they had the chance. Hopefully a lesson learned.

agree with this, i seen the highlights on TG4 the other night and looking back at the goal that was disallowed, it was the wrong call IMO. and that would have put us up by 8 or 9 points, instead Offaly went and got the next 3 scores. Dowling ran in and very sweetly flicked the ball into the net, he was about 2 feet into the square when he made contact with the ball. according to the 'new' rules that goal should have stood.
"Under the old rule, a player could not enter the small square before the ball had done so but the difficulty in policing the rule prompted the call for change at the 2012 Congress.
Under the new rule, a player may enter the square before the ball in open play. The old rule will still apply for set play"

ifs and buts and all that but it was technically a 6 point swing! might be a kick in the hole they needed?
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

LOVEGAA

Anyone hear the team for Saturday.   

Heard there were 2 changes.   Peters and Corby starting instead of Connolly and Bergin.   
Not sure if this is right.

Plain of the Herbs

Rule didn't change for da hurlin'.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2012/0415/317130-square-ball-rule-amended-at-congress/
Quote from: finbar o tool on April 14, 2016, 09:45:47 AM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on April 10, 2016, 11:43:39 AM
Could have went either way. Laois had a goal disallowed when 5/6 up at start of 2nd half and dominating. If it had been allowed I couldn't have imagined an Offaly revival. Like previous poster said, Offaly got to grips with game from 45 mins onwards and began to play with a bit of fire. Laois found it hard to respond. A skillful Laois team but they should have put Offaly to the sword when they had the chance. Hopefully a lesson learned.

agree with this, i seen the highlights on TG4 the other night and looking back at the goal that was disallowed, it was the wrong call IMO. and that would have put us up by 8 or 9 points, instead Offaly went and got the next 3 scores. Dowling ran in and very sweetly flicked the ball into the net, he was about 2 feet into the square when he made contact with the ball. according to the 'new' rules that goal should have stood.
"Under the old rule, a player could not enter the small square before the ball had done so but the difficulty in policing the rule prompted the call for change at the 2012 Congress.
Under the new rule, a player may enter the square before the ball in open play. The old rule will still apply for set play"

ifs and buts and all that but it was technically a 6 point swing! might be a kick in the hole they needed?

LOVEGAA

Heard this too, glad to see Peters in, a big, solid, hardy man. Corby has the potential too, could be trouble for the Carlow defence.
[/quote]

I only hope they're not as complacent as they were against Offaly. Team and line

redsetanta

oneflewoverthecuckoonest will be a bit happier.