Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monument Road

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 14, 2016, 12:20:55 AM
Graiguecullen terrible last night, couldn't even get the basics right. Timmons is a massive loss for them but they should be giving Portarlington at least a challenge, last night they went down like lambs and are now prime candidates for relegation playing like they are. They don't seem to be fit mentally or physically and are starting players that are worse than the lads they are bringing on late in the game.
Tonight Portlaoise beat the favourites to beat them this year so it looks like the same old story once again, Portlaoise at the top and everyone else playing catch-up.
In my opinion the big problem with Graigue is their ability to implode. Its been like that with them for years. They have an abundance of talent and should be regular challengers to Portlaoise. They are forever changing managers which leads to instability within the club. I dont know why, mabe its internal politics or player power but to get rid of Joe Higgins a couple of years ago after winning a Kelly cup and the league and reaching a county final was pure pure madness. I know Joe was very disapointed as he was very confident they would have won it with him. But that madnes is there for years now and goes back to when i first saw Graigue...the mid 70s....my opinion

Unison

I thought Danny O'Reilly in midfield was very good for Graiguecullen against Port. Looks like a good footballer.

Spillane

Some upsets after occurring so far this weekend. First time in a while I've made it to a few club games.
Ballylinan v Ballyroan Abbey last night had a fantastic last 20 minutes with Ballyroan playing some great football when down to 14, they really upped their work rate as Ballylinan faded out of the game and resorted to high aimless balls being pumped in on top of a very solid full back line for Ballyroan. Special mention to Ballyroan keeper who kept them in the game with some outstanding saves in the first half.
Portlaoise v Killeen was a fairly poor game, with Killeen resorting to parking the bus and hoping for Kingstons brilliance to keep them in the game. Portlaoise won fairly comfortably and never looked like they were in danger of losing. With Paul and Donie Brennan to come back again, hopefully it'll be a better contest if they meet again.
Missed the Emo V Ballyfin game, Emo up by 9 points at half time to lose by 8 with no notable wind is beyond belief. Any one any match report on this?
The Heath v Mountmellick Gaels was a huge surprise to me. The Heath who were fancier their chances to topple the town, now find themselves back in relegation. Credit to MM who played with huge intensity and hunger just blew a very lethargic Heath out of it. Some great scores from Mullins, while their midfield pinned the Heath back in their half for 10 mins. The second goal was the killer, as Grennan lobbed the keeper from about 15-20 metres out. It may have been accidental but it was splendid as it was important.
Going by the results thus far, besides Portlaoise any side could beat each other on any given day.

Cruella De Vil

Convincing wins for Mountmellick & Ballyfin, the later games also looked very one sided.
Ballyfin vs Emo game was pure crazy in terms of scoring. Ballyfin must have been furious to go in 9pts down, after coughing up 2 ridiculous goals, with some short play in their own back line going wrong. They missed a couple of goal chances themselves, along with a few close in frees, and must have been fearing the worst. In the second half the owned midfield with Finn & Dunphy causing havoc, and Sean Moore went to town inside, along with an impressive display from Darragh Connolly at 12. On the face of it, it's one of the best comebacks you'll see, but in reality, ballyfin should never have been 9 behind at half time. The "Hot" and "outstanding" favourites for relegation may wait till next year to exit the senior ranks.

The Heath were very disappointing in the 2nd game, difficult to see why the have been fancied by so many. The still should have enough to see off graigue, who have been very poor. A relegation final appearance may be what graigue need to allow them take stock of their situation, and stop blaming maurice deegan, higgins, bealin or other external factors for things going wrong.

As was said here previous, apart from portlaoise, theres a good few teams could make a county final appearance, any of the teams left, with the exception of ballyfin/cretty IMO,  must feel they can make it to the final.

Laoiseabu

In my opinion they are all intermediates/junior teams with the exception of portlaoise. It's easy to see why Laois are in division 3. The only outstanding player that you could say is a cert for a good county team is Kingston

BallyroanAbu

Ballyfin were not the outstanding favs for relegation as long as they have players like Moore, Finn, Connolly etc however whats the point in having a senior team if avoiding relegation is the most you aspire to ?   Our club has been guilty of this in the past.   The Heath lost their game in their heads not a shadow of the team that won the league.  Graigue are in freefall and can thank their lucky stars Clonaslee are around.  Thats bull  Laoisabu for instance that  Farrell chap at no 6 for Ballylinan would make plenty of county teams and I think you will find the problem is Portlaoise are an outstanding team not that the rest are all that bad just Portlaoise are exceptional.

Laoiseabu

Emo were beat by a crettyard team that were woeful this evening against stradbally and emo let ballyfin score 4 17 today who only scored 7 points against st joes yet they were in a county final last year what does that say about the rest of the teams. Emo got relegated to intermediate a few years ago with the same players and ended up nearly winning the county final last year

Cruella De Vil

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 14, 2016, 09:44:50 PM
Ballyfin were not the outstanding favs for relegation as long as they have players like Moore, Finn, Connolly etc however whats the point in having a senior team if avoiding relegation is the most you aspire to ?   

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on April 28, 2016, 09:25:10 AM
There is not an asses roar of Crettyard been in any relegation mix.  Ballyfin are the outstanding favourites for this.

I never would have had Ballyfin in as outstanding favourites, i got this quote from yourself BallyroanAbu, as above.

Ballyfin are aspiring to contest a final, i never said they'd be happy with survival alone. It's just odd sometimes how some can disregard them, and big up other clubs that have done f**k all to justify it.

Laoiseabu

The Heath beat st joes handy in the league final this year and are now in relegation what does this say about joes. These are supposed to be portlaoise closest challengers

Cruella De Vil

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 14, 2016, 10:04:59 PM
Emo were beat by a crettyard team that were woeful this evening against stradbally and emo let ballyfin score 4 17 today who only scored 7 points against st joes yet they were in a county final last year what does that say about the rest of the teams. Emo got relegated to intermediate a few years ago with the same players and ended up nearly winning the county final last year

Pat Ryan not being around for much of their summer has to have had an effect, that said Emo would obviously have known his commitments. Evan costello only appeared as a sub late on today, also is a significant loss to their forward line, but more importantly i'd say Pat Ryan's absence cannot be understated when comparing to last year.

I wouldn't agree the rest are intermediate/junior with the exception of Portlaoise. Portlaoise have been strong against most leinster club sides the past few years, with the exception of the Dublin champions, IMO they would be an exceptional club side.

Laoiseabu

Ballyroan have improved a bit I might say

Laoiseabu

It's such a pity the two Arles aren't together they have thrown away so many county titles and even all Ireland's could of been a golden generation in such a small area

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 14, 2016, 10:35:48 PM
It's such a pity the two Arles aren't together they have thrown away so many county titles and even all Ireland's could of been a golden generation in such a small area
Only themselves to blame. You can't help people who don't want to help themselves. Kilcruise no doubt cherish their title, maybe more than winning a dozen with their "beloved" neighbours?

BallyroanAbu

Touche LaoisAbu, Thats when been a Keyboard warrior comes back to haunt you.  Anyway I forgot to mention in the meantime while Ballyfin were my favs in a fit of pique back then I had heard the news of a practice match which took place between Clonaslee and Ballyfin 5 weeks ago. Which was abandoned due to how awful Clonaslee had been.  I had not updated that here for my outstanding favs for relegation column.  Ballyfin still could be a whole pile better if they got theri act together and played a full year of football this year. I don't think they will win another game.  Emo were silly but I don't thiink the guy they pay the big bucks to was present on the line I feel he may have made a difference when things were going wrong.  Championship is Championship teams will improve in it and teams will blow up in it.  Must say very disappointed with the Heath & Crettyard

Laoiseabu

Just wondering Ballyroanabbeyabu is there much more coming through in ballyroan over the next 4,5,6 years they seem to be doing well at underage especially u14 and minors in county final . It's great having the abbeeix lads on board . By the way I wouldn't be surprised in fact I'd expect ballyfin to beat crettyard next day out