Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Yes but they make the quarter finals and they've been in a couple of semi finals. No consistancy with with Ballylinan. They usually only have the one big game. Maybe they're improved this year but how many of the top teams have they beaten over the last 10 years?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Faugheen

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 30, 2016, 08:47:37 PM
My money would be on Ballylinan, What have Graigue done to be rated highly?  Back a few years ago Graigue fluked a win against Portlaoise in the 1st round they certaintly thought alot of it then.
If i remember correctly Graigue were 11 or 12 points down in the second half and came back to win...Hardly what you would call a fluke.

Heshs Umpire

Any details on Portlaoise v Heath last night? Thought The Heath would be closer than that.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Weekend Results:

Friday
Graiguecullen      2-12   
Ballylinan            3-12

Saturday
The Heath           0-6   
Portlaoise           2-12

Sunday
St Joseph's         4-11
Ballyfin               0-8

Emo                   0-14
Crettyard Gaels   0-15

Monday 
Arles Killeen       1-13
Portarlington      1-09

Arles Kilcruise    1-16
Killeshin             1-6
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

County baller

Crettyard look much improved from the league Cormac Murphy was outstanding and kicked about 9 points. With a lucky draw and Evan O'Carroll back they could yet make a quarter final playing like they did today.

Downtheroad

Quote from: County baller on July 31, 2016, 11:38:42 PM
Crettyard look much improved from the league Cormac Murphy was outstanding and kicked about 9 points. With a lucky draw and Evan O'Carroll back they could yet make a quarter final playing like they did today.
The Spink lads made a difference as they gave them a bit more depth especially in the 2nd half. I think results like this will see more clubs looking at their junior and intermediate neighbours to beef up teams. The Portlaoise demolition of The Heath doesn't bode well.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Well done to Crettyard, always a good hard working team who deserve a bit of luck..

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 30, 2016, 02:28:24 AM

The one gripe I had about the ref was his use of the advantage rule. Near the end of the game when Graiguecullen were coming back strongly Aaron Forbes, who had a great game at full forward, won a high ball around the 21 meter line and was swung out of by two players but managed to shake them off and headed towards goal with only the keeper to beat. He was gone about 10 meters from where he was fouled and just about to shoot when Mr. Deegan blew the whistle and called him back for a 21 meter free. If ever there was a case for advantage to be played this was it but one of the top referees in the country saw fit to overrule the advantage law and gave the benefit to the fouling team. Is it any wonder players are disillusioned by referees...

Don't want to keep going on about this but the very same situation arose in the Kerry v Clare game today when a Kerry player was running through on goal and was fouled by two Clare defenders. He shook them off and was allowed his shot on goal which was saved and then it was brought back for a free. That was what the advantage rule was brought in for, to punish the fouling team and the referee was 100% right. And who was the referee, non other than our own Mr Maurice Deegan. Now I wonder why he didn't interpret the very same foul like that on Friday night against Ballylinan. ?????

SCFC

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 31, 2016, 11:49:16 PM
Quote from: County baller on July 31, 2016, 11:38:42 PM
The Spink lads made a difference as they gave them a bit more depth especially in the 2nd half. I think results like this will see more clubs looking at their junior and intermediate neighbours to beef up teams. The Portlaoise demolition of The Heath doesn't bode well.
Looking at Cretty beating Emo you'd have to think Emo would be real contenders with 5/6 of the Courtwood lads on board. Same goes for Mountmellick who could use Kilcavan players. Maybe The Heath needs to resume a working relationship with Park Rath at underage AND adult level?! could Joes use a few Barrowhouse lads?

portlaoisekid

A truly powerful performance from Portlaoise. Of portlaoise are beatable but with Healy back quicker than expected and cotter and Zach to come in its hard not to see portlaoise getting stronger .

steven seagal

Portlaoise really had their homework done on The Heath, and snuffed out their main threats. It was fairly evenly contested for 25 minutes or so, but then Paul Cahillane scored an outrageous goal and Portlaoise never looked back. As PK said, with Healy, Cotter and Tuohy to come back, it's hard to see anyone getting close to them. I think the scare they got against Emo last year has them more wary of the competition in Laois, so they'll be keen to hand out a few hammerings this year. The first of those came on Saturday.

Giovanni

Portlaoise dominated in pretty much every aspect of the game and had it not been for Chris Bergin who had a great first half, there would have been a lot more in it at half time. Hard to see anyone coming close to Portlaoise again this year.

Although it wasn't his best ever game for Portlaoise, I've often wondered why Brian Smith never got a chance with the county. He has a terrific football brain, a good engine and uses the ball very well most of the time. Shame really.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

SFC Rd 2 Draw - Winners:
St Joes v Kilcruise;
Crettyard Gaels v Stradbally;
Ballyroan Abbey v Ballylinan;
Portlaoise v Arles killeen       

SCFC

Quote from: Giovanni on August 01, 2016, 03:54:32 PM
Although it wasn't his best ever game for Portlaoise, I've often wondered why Brian Smith never got a chance with the county. He has a terrific football brain, a good engine and uses the ball very well most of the time. Shame really.
Isn't he based in the UK?

County baller

Did anyone see the losers side of the draw?

SCFC

SFC Rd 2 Draw - Losers: The Heath v Mountmellick; Portarlington v Graigue; Ballyfin Gaels v Emo; Clonaslee v Killeshin