LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Great post Unlaoised. Of course it helps if lads are pals. Great atmosphere and spirit if so. Great to see a number of the portlaoise lads around. I agree - it does look like a strong squad. PS MJ is about 5ft 9 to 5ft 10. Not a short man really.

Unlaoised

Anyword on a friendly for Laois footballers I heard there was talks of one next weekend against Tipperary but not certain
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Should we beat Wicklow in the Leinster - does anyone think we have a fighting chance against Dublin in Nolan Park? Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think, that on our day, and if everyone is on good form, and if the ball hops to Laois' advantage , we could put it up to Dublin.

ILikeStrawberryJam

In a word Tony No.
We have no chance against Dublin.
We have some really good forwards and a very good midfield but we have no tight defenders.
Even if we got 1-14 they are likely to get 3-18+

Great to get off to a good start against Galway ..

Who are our 6 best defenders ?

Unlaoised

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on January 18, 2016, 07:53:31 PM
In a word Tony No.
We have some really good forwards and a very good midfield but we have no tight defenders.

Good point I like strawberry Jam I think our defense could be a bit tighter this year...

Young Seale is a player who might just suprise a few at corner back.

Farrell could also push for a place and  if Quigley or Begley are back then O'Loughlin could play at centre back maybe Begley at half back with Strong the other side not all great markers but would be a powerful half back line.

Team for galway
Brody
Seale
Timmons
Attride
Strong
O'Loughlin
Farrell
Meaney
Quigley
C.Begley
D.Kingston
O'Carroll
P.Kingston
G.Walsh
P.Cahillane

Thats just an example of the team we could have I know there is other lads like Evan Costello Eoin Lowry Danny O'Reilly Trevor Collins N.Murphy knocking at the door you have like of Lillis and Munnelly available aswell.

LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 19, 2016, 09:15:38 AM
Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on January 18, 2016, 07:53:31 PM
In a word Tony No.

Good point I like strawberry Jam I think our defense could be a bit tighter this year...

Young Seale is a player who might just suprise a few at corner back.

Farrell could also push for a place and  if Quigley or Begley are back then O'Loughlin could play at centre back maybe Begley at half back with Strong the other side not all great markers but would be a powerful half back line.

Team for galway
Brody
Seale
Timmons
Attride
Strong
O'Loughlin
Farrell
Meaney
Quigley
C.Begley
D.Kingston
O'Carroll
P.Kingston
G.Walsh
P.Cahillane

Thats just an example of the team we could have I know there is other lads like Evan Costello Eoin Lowry Danny O'Reilly Trevor Collins N.Murphy knocking at the door you have like of Lillis and Munnelly available aswell.

swap  O Loughlin and Begley

Giovanni

JOL has been our best player, playing at midfield over the last 2 years or so. I wouldn't dream of shifting him out of that position.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Giovanni on January 19, 2016, 09:46:23 AM
JOL has been our best player, playing at midfield over the last 2 years or so. I wouldn't dream of shifting him out of that position.

I see your point Maybe try Meaney at centre back then or Quigley as a half forward?hard not to start the 3 of them in my opinion
LAOIS ABÚ

Laois fan

That backline you named only has two natural defenders in seale and Timmons , to compete with the top teams we need too find the next cahir Healys but are there any.Begley, strong and the likes are all great footballers but a bit loose and attack-minded  to accommodate them all in the same defence.

ILikeStrawberryJam

I dont think Cahillane would be a starter. Might make an impact coming off the bench.

Ross has to play with Tom shiels pushing hard for a place. He really impressed me last year.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Laois fan on January 19, 2016, 01:46:14 PM
That backline you named only has two natural defenders in seale and Timmons , to compete with the top teams we need too find the next cahir Healys but are there any.Begley, strong and the likes are all great footballers but a bit loose and attack-minded  to accommodate them all in the same defence.

Surely modern defences rely on systems now and not on individual tight defending? If we are intending to play man on man, then we might as well forget about it. We should be looking at players who can do a job in a system, not become the next Joe Higgins. Are Donegal, Tyrone and Dublin's defenders all super tight man markers?

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 19, 2016, 10:43:28 AM
Quote from: Giovanni on January 19, 2016, 09:46:23 AM

I see your point Maybe try Meaney at centre back then or Quigley as a half forward?hard not to start the 3 of them in my opinion

Yes agree with both points made above but JOL would more than likely contribute a lot more than the others as a half forward.

Tony

We've a good keeper / good midfield / good forward line. Pity we don't have another 2 / 3 Timmons in there.

For me, O Loughlin has got to start midfield. Quigley will prob partner him but it's be nice to see Meaney in there - on the half back line for me.

Regarding Cahilane / Ross - it depends if the Ross of 2003 - 2014 shows up. If so, throw him on. It's a lot to ask though. Lot of mileage. Most likely we'll see P Cahilane in there.

Unlaoised

Nice to have a few selection headaches I forget about Tom shield he might add something to the fray as well.

I agree our option in defense are low but Attride is decent not sure if Hanrahan is in there this year I thought he might make it last year.
Damien O'Connor is another option he was flying it in defense early last year till he picked up that injury.

I hear its the Lilly's they could be playing this weekend not sure of what day or where!

LAOIS ABÚ

goal 10

Quigley is the most over'rate player in laois, he has been big disappointment over the last numbers of years.