Walsh Cup 2016

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 08, 2015, 11:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

I heard that both Zane Keenan and Willie Hyland won't be involved this year. It was just chat at the match - I hope it's not quite true?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: burdizzo on January 10, 2016, 08:36:00 PM
I heard that both Zane Keenan and Willie Hyland won't be involved this year. It was just chat at the match - I hope it's not quite true?

Zane is definitely back.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

blueandwhite1

Quote from: merman on January 10, 2016, 08:07:54 PM

I've heard a rumour that Joe Fitzpatrick might come back on board before the league starts. If there is any chance of this happening then Cheddar should move heaven and earth to make it so.

I'd say there is a very good chance Joe will be back. Supposed to be training hard. Can't see Willie Hyland not returning either. Any word on Cahir Healy? Would be way more suited to any of the other backs positions than full back, now that Darren is back.

merman

Healy was training over Christmas.

I'd assume he's training away in London and not expected back for weekends until the league starts.

Ogie

Willie, Zane, Cahir & Joe will all be on board for the league thankfully!
Joe was hurling as well if not better than ever and is training away all over Christmas,
I think it's a good thing to give them a break I'd have liked to see Matthew taking a month or two off as well, that's mostly the core that's being going hard for years & no need for them in the Walsh Cup,
Good to get the couple of wins and decent performances , although very hard to judge on the all weather pitches, step up again next Sunday and a good test.

Goku

Interesting team selection so far in the Walsh Cup. I wonder will Foyle still be at center back for the 1st round of the league? Mullaney at wing back looked good. Big man for a 20 year old!

redsetanta

That's a big bonus to hear the lads are coming back.

It certainly wasn't due to fitness or lack of appetite that Joe was retiring. I assumed it was just a case of family committments.

Both himself and Healy will be a big boost for the defence.

Willie and Zane would get into most intercounty teams bar maybe Kilkenny and we have no one like Willie to win primary possession in the forward line.

Really looking forward to teh league campaign now (not that I wasn't already)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

TheGreatGame

That is brilliant news indeed Ogie, four vital players for us.  When you add in John Walsh, Darren Maher and the younger lads who have joined the panel things do look a bit brighter!  I haven't seen the team in action yet this year but taking into account the lads that are injured/college tied the two results so far have been excellent.  That was a nearly full strength Antrim team in the first game and UCD gave us plenty of it last year when we had a strong team out.  Dublin next will of course be a totally different proposition, but the Walsh Cup is serving us well to blood the younger guys and try lads out in different positions.

Re. Foyle, well the lad could probably hurl anywhere due to his talent, but I'd reckon it's Cheddar being clever and playing him in a very physically demanding position to get him fitter.  I've always believed a fully fit Neil Foyle could be as good as anyone, fingers crossed he gets a break from injuries and it happens this year.

Mossy Bruce

Great to hear about all those who are returning.

How is Foyle doing at the center back position?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Tobias

Is willie Dunphy involved this year? I think he is another player that can add something up front.

merman

Willie Dunphy is recovering from knee surgery.
I had heard that he is expected back before the end of the league but then there was a rumour floating around yesterday that it could be closer to the summer before he's available.

Mossy Bruce

There's been a few names posted this last week that I'm not yet familiar with. Would someone mind listing their clubs and what positions they usually play? Thanks!

Ciaran Collier
Ryan Mullaney
John Walsh
Eoghan Fennelly
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 11, 2016, 10:26:15 PM
There's been a few names posted this last week that I'm not yet familiar with. Would someone mind listing their clubs and what positions they usually play? Thanks!

Ciaran Collier
Ryan Mullaney
John Walsh
Eoghan Fennelly

Ciaran Collier - Camross
Third (?) year on the panel; came straight in from the minors and is predominantly a half-forward or midfielder. Very athletic and capable hurler.
Ryan Mullany - Castletown
Second year on the panel; another straight from minor and is probably best as a half-back. Great size, strength and has a lovely natural ability. 
John Walsh - Ballinakill
Has returned to the panel after a number of years away with work commitments. John must be 30 now and was a supremely talented defender as a juvenile who is back approaching his best form now.
Am I right in saying John captained St Kieran's to an All Ireland College's Championship 10-12 years ago?
Eoghan Fennelly - Abbeyleix
First year on the panel and still U21, Eoghan's family would be steeped in hurling tradition and he's had a brilliant couple of years with his club. Could hurl in any of the forward positions.

Looks like the U21s are putting in a serious shift already. Was good to see a few of them filling places on the senior panel Sunday. We could debate for hours about how much closer we have actually become to the teams above us but we are certainly seeing a stronger depth to our extended panel. I think the standard of the club hurler in Laois is certainly on the rise.

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

I see both Scully and Maher on the HS team of the week. I know you can't read too much into these teams of the week etc but it's great to see Laois names i there and must be a boost for the lads named.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi