Newspaper Items

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 26, 2015, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Faugheen

Not one bit surprised Junior, managers are like sheep, what works for one they all will try, with no regard for the future health of the player or the fact that all players are not teachers or work in an office. Having said that the problem could be down to under recovery rather than over training.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

True, I think under recovery is the problem in the weaker counties where managers are depending on a few top players to carry the team whereas in the stronger counties lads are training their butts off to clinch a place in the team and disregarding their own health in the process..

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Work underway on new terraces at O'Moore Park, which is to be upgraded to 25 thousand capacity

O'Moore Park set for €1m upgrade
21 May 2015

O'Moore Park is to receive a €1 million makeover in a bid to attract more high-profile games to Laois GAA headquarters.

Works have already started on the upgrade which is in response to a recent Health and Safety report which capped the Portlaoise venue's capacity at just 18,000. The improvements will see the capacity restored to about 25,000.

According to Midlands 103, the three terraces at the ground will have all stairwells and handrails replaced, a new walkway and support wall is to be built behind the main terrace, the toilets at the Abbeyleix Road end have been demolished and will be rebuilt, while all other toilet blocks in the stadium are to be refurbished.

A new press box will also be constructed on the main terrace.

Laois GAA has received €800,000 from Central Council, with the remainder of the project to be funded by Leinster Council. The project will take 22 weeks to complete.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

OTF

Junior Ex Laoistalk

It's a great article and it might even work, given half a chance. I've never agreed with professionalism in the GAA but if transfers of players could be kept out of it then I think I wouldn't have a problem with it.

OTF

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on September 26, 2015, 02:02:34 PM
It's a great article and it might even work, given half a chance. I've never agreed with professionalism in the GAA but if transfers of players could be kept out of it then I think I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Junior
I've posted on this a few times before and I still think the only way this will work is to move away from the " County" model towards a number of super clubs based around major population areas.
The traditional club(rural) as we know it would continue more or less as it is today all amateur.
The elite player would however move/ transfer to the super clubs much like what happened in Rugby.

We're a bit away from this scenario yet but the gap between the top and 3or 4 was never more apparent and growing, something has to give.

Rugby was in this same situation 20 years ago and many said at the time it will never happen but happen it did and almost overnight.