Schools Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 24, 2015, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Couple of interesting results from the schools competitions during March.

St Fergals were beaten by St Fintans from Sutton in Dublin (not a particularly big school) in the Juv C semi final. What's happening with Fergals as they seem to be in trouble with the hurling in the school. They really need to have a look at this.

Laois Schools lost by 2 points to Good Counsel in Juv H 'A' league semi final. They have performed reasonably well in this competition. Are Mountrath CS involved in this as I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere?

On another note the likes of Naas CBS is winning the SH B final against Colaiste Eoin which is a big result for a Kildare school and is good for hurling.

As has been stated many times we need to start a primary level which feeds into secondary schools and these competitions.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on March 21, 2017, 09:25:43 AM

St Fergals were beaten by St Fintans from Sutton in Dublin (not a particularly big school) in the Juv C semi final. What's happening with Fergals as they seem to be in trouble with the hurling in the school. They really need to have a look at this.

Your post is answered simply, by saying Mountrath CS. They have taken a lot of what traditionally went to Fergals, and its just a fact of life.

MCS don't contribute to Laois Schools as they play in A competitions to the best of my knowledge at all grades. The schools performances were encouraging in this regard.

Naas is an outlier in Kildare, they have done magnificent work in hurling, read more here http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/naas-nurturing-a-generation-of-hurling-trailblazers-34138486.html

The minor hurling result at the weekend makes me despair and wonder why we bother.

Mad Mentor

Fergal's is and has always been a small school with around 300 or so pupils. A lot of other former vocational schools have amalgamated and become much bigger schools, eg Mountrath. We lose lads to Mountrath, Heywood, Johnstown and Templemore from what would have been traditionally Fergal's territory, so are picking from a very small pool of players. Not withstanding that, we could have/should have beaten Sutton. In a game of two halves our lads didn't score enough with the wind in the first half. In the North final we beat Kilcormac who had hammered what was much the same team two years ago so there has been progression. Clough Ballacolla and Borris Kilcotton have had a few years with very small numbers as their taking part in the B competitions at u16 shows and this has had a big impact.
   The future is brighter however as the u14 team is still in competition and looks very strong with big wins over Kilcormac and Roscrea lately. Joe Dollard from Galmoy has joined the teaching staff and will be a great support to Mr. Conroy who has ploughed a lonely furrow since Mr. Casey stepped back a couple of years ago.
    Laois Minors looked very poor last week and we may have a drought for a few years. However last years u14 championship was the strongest for years and we look to have a lot of talent coming through from u12 and u14 at the moment. This year's u14 development squad is the strongest I have seen for a few years, so there is hope for the future.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Don Draper on March 21, 2017, 09:32:47 AM

Your post is answered simply, by saying Mountrath CS. They have taken a lot of what traditionally went to Fergals, and its just a fact of life.

MCS don't contribute to Laois Schools as they play in A competitions to the best of my knowledge at all grades. The schools performances were encouraging in this regard.

Naas is an outlier in Kildare, they have done magnificent work in hurling, read more here http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/naas-nurturing-a-generation-of-hurling-trailblazers-34138486.html

The minor hurling result at the weekend makes me despair and wonder why we bother.

The result against Antrim?

Why would that in particular make you despair?  Laois beat Dublin, Dublin beat Antrim, Antrim beat Laois. That would suggest that there is not a whole lot of difference in standard, albeit I read somewhere that it was Dublin's "B" team.

Don Draper

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on March 22, 2017, 11:14:00 AM

The result against Antrim?

Why would that in particular make you despair?  Laois beat Dublin, Dublin beat Antrim, Antrim beat Laois. That would suggest that there is not a whole lot of difference in standard, albeit I read somewhere that it was Dublin's "B" team.
Taking a hockeying from any team at home should make one despair. But I'm quite a despairing individual, I despair at pretty much everything. I even despaired at your reply.

burdizzo

Ha ha! Brilliant!
I think following Leix would make anyone despair!

redsetanta

Are you still wondering why we bother after the result on Saturday?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on April 10, 2017, 09:44:16 AM

Are you still wondering why we bother after the result on Saturday?
Surely Offaly aren't our benchmark anymore?

blueandwhite1

Well they are still a key rival - so important to beat them. This is not the most highly rated Laois team in recent years so it has to go down as a good win. Last year's team were beaten by Offaly and were supposed to have more potential.

Huge test up in Dublin next week, this will tell where things really are. Hard place to go and hurl. At least we will go with some confidence.

redsetanta

You're right. Parnell Park next Saturday at 3pm. The old 'team listed first at home' doesn't apply.

Downtheroad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on April 10, 2017, 12:46:34 PM
Well they are still a key rival - so important to beat them. This is not the most highly rated Laois team in recent years so it has to go down as a good win. Last year's team were beaten by Offaly and were supposed to have more potential.

Huge test up in Dublin next week, this will tell where things really are. Hard place to go and hurl. At least we will go with some confidence.
I have to say that was a good result on Saturday. Anytime a Laois team beats Offaly in minor hurling should be both applauded and acknowledged.

Don Draper

Quote from: Downtheroad on April 10, 2017, 04:04:21 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on April 10, 2017, 12:46:34 PM

I have to say that was a good result on Saturday. Anytime a Laois team beats Offaly in minor hurling should be both applauded and acknowledged.
Absolutely. I shouldn't have read anything into that mickey mouse Leinster league thing.

redsetanta

redsetanta

Great result for Mountrath CS today. Interesting to note there wasn't a Camross starter considering how they're cleaning up at club level in the county. It has become a very important school for hurling in the county.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/11/16/mountrath-cs-claim-rest-leinster-junior-hurling-title/

clonadmad

Is "Rest of Leinster" schools from the weaker counties or how is it composed?