Laois minors 2015

Started by Barney Army, February 22, 2015, 09:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney Army

I see Laois lost to Clare at the weekend and it's their second loss in the minor league. Anyone know how things are going and if players are missing?

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Barney Army on February 22, 2015, 09:19:55 PM
I see Laois lost to Clare at the weekend and it's their second loss in the minor league. Anyone know how things are going and if players are missing?

Don't know much about them but results so far aren't great.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

SCFC

Mick Lillis is manager.
Selectors are John Strong and Kieran Kelly.

Barney Army

Great win for the minors against Dublin over the weekend. Anyone at it? Anyone know the team?

redsetanta

I saw that result. Looking at the groups though there are two teams Dublin and Ath Cliath. Hard to know how strong the Dublin team is?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

doesn't matter any win over the Dubs is a bonus
LAOIS ABÚ

Buffalobull

So these young lads are out this weekend. Away to Meath is going to be tough! Anyone know how they are going?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Minor footballers face daunting opener as they travel to Navan

The Laois minor footballers will begin their Leinster MFC campaign this weekend, as they face a daunting trip to Navan to take on Meath.

Laois travel with only one big injury concern, that of Portarlington's Rob Piggott, who damaged ankle ligaments a few weeks ago, but apart from that manager Mick Lillis has a full squad to pick from.

The squad have been boosted also by the All-Ireland success of Graiguecullen trio Trevor Collins, Brian Byrne and Jer Brennan, all of whome played their part in Carlow CBS winning their first All-Ireland Colleges 'B' final last Saturday in Croke Park.

They will have to channel that feel-good factor into the rest of the squad, however, as Laois have struggled to make an impression at minor intercounty level in recent years.

Laois' last meeting with Meath, in 2013, resulted in a 2-13 to 0-9 loss. To make matters worse, Laois haven't beaten one of the big three in Leinster - Dublin, Kildare and Meath - at minor level since the victory over Dublin in the 2007 quarter-final replay.

Looking ahead to the game, manager Mick Lillis admitted it was a big challenge facing his side. "Meath are a very serious team, when you play one of Dublin, Kildare or Meath in minor level in Leinster, your playing catch up, and this year is not any different. Meath would be much bigger, physically than us, and that's a drawback at this grade."

Meath's two midfielders clock in at 6'4 and 6'7, meaning Laois will have to be smart with their kickouts to avoid playing to Meath's strengths. Having the game in Navan is tough too, but Lillis is hopeful his side can turn in a performance. "Going to Navan is a drawback, and you'd be hoping the ref will be strong enough to make the hard calls, and that's not something we are used to seeing.

"Too much of them go with the team that's expected to win and that can make life difficult for teams trying to make the breakthrough. All we can do is go there well prepared and perform to the best of our abilities."

There are a number of players involved from last year, with Barrowhouse's Brian Daly one player of note after impressing in the Leinster Colleges SFC 'A' with Ardscoil na Trínoide from Athy. Conor Behan, David Aston, Aaron Dowling, Colm Murphy, Trevor Collins and Brian Byrne all survive from the team which were beaten in last year's semi-final against Meath.

Throw in this Saturday in Navan is 3pm.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Barney Army

Buffalobull

I heard Lillis has waited until an hour or so before to name his team, even to the players. Surely a risky decision? What team would have been sent in for the match day program?

Barney Army

Is that Joe Higgins young lad on the panel? Hope the apple didn't fall far from the orchard - Joe was one of the greats

Unlaoised

Heavy defeat anyone got any information?
LAOIS ABÚ

SCFC

A lot of good young club players were overlooked for this panel.
Would have no faith in Lillis.

Target Man

Quote from: SCFC on April 20, 2015, 09:05:33 AM
A lot of good young club players were overlooked for this panel.
Would have no faith in Lillis.

Who should be in there that's not (I'm not having a go, it's an honest question I'm not that familiar with the players at this level)? I'm sure there are some good players not involved but that may be by choice

Some decent forwards there in Moore, Murphy and Dowling, disappointing to be beaten before half time