St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Never seen the 100yrs one, before my time, but eamonn sweeney did an article on sligo history a few yrs ago and honestly i was depressed after it. I just didnt see anything to gain from it only create a mental block. Like from my interpretation these type of books do glorify failure, they definitly dont list or highlight the solutions to our failures, like take for example in the 60s and 70s when my Dad was playing, and you only got on to Sligo teams based on who your father, what club rather than ability etc... (my dad tells of the famous North Sligo treatment in County set ups, he went to a trial and he told feed Kerins the ball, so he did until kerins had clocked up 3-5 or something, my Dad said feck it, he went for a few scores himself and got 2-2 and was told not to come back because he didnt do as instructed), then Dad and my uncles told they were told the wrong times for training regularly so they turn up late and be kicked off various squads) This book will probably glorify the greats from south Sligo who did this acts. I could go on even to my time.

or will highlight how the big shots from the town and south sligo think they run Sligogaa, and with there limitations hold us back for eons, that kinda stuff, Id be shocked if these people arent glorified aswell while the unsong heroes are not mentioned.

It is good that clubs get plenty of mention but really doesnt mean a whole pile to me, we are relatively a new club.

Maybe the Wexford game has pissed me off and put me in a negative frame of mind in terms of Sligo GAA, but it is depressing that a county like Leitrim have more Connacht titles than us, I would say the man above is looking down and shaking his head, thinking Ive given ye great teams over the yrs and ye mess it up nearly all of the time. Roscommon have more senior ones than what we have all together. To me that changes now and it does by pretty much forgetting our woeful past and certainly not highlighting to any up and coming Sligo player.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

http://www.sligogaa.ie/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleid=7336

Sligo team named, we dont seem to discuss it on here but any opinions? Who is donal mcglynn on the subs and whats he like?

If I were Sligo manager, id dropp ewing, greene and Taylor, and play keelan cawley, farrell, and eoh, respectively, nothing to lose imo. Ewing isnt good enough the other 2 need a kick up the backside.

Even mcguire at FB is dodgy at the min.

Sweeney is named but was last week too and he didnt leave the house... Gary Gaughan starts.

Other note is Colm McGee and K Cawley arent on the bench, can I just say if there not injured i would be livid but i hold judgement until i hear more. Is mcgee not the ideal free taker to take over while marren is out for left hand side.

All in all our team and subs are starting to look very weak. Bar Niall mcnamee this offaly team are poor but Id take a 1pt win.

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 12, 2010, 02:14:08 PM
http://www.sligogaa.ie/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleid=7336

Sligo team named, we dont seem to discuss it on here but any opinions? Who is donal mcglynn on the subs and whats he like?

If I were Sligo manager, id dropp ewing, greene and Taylor, and play keelan cawley, farrell, and eoh, respectively, nothing to lose imo. Ewing isnt good enough the other 2 need a kick up the backside.

Even mcguire at FB is dodgy at the min.

Sweeney is named but was last week too and he didnt leave the house... Gary Gaughan starts.

Other note is Colm McGee and K Cawley arent on the bench, can I just say if there not injured i would be livid but i hold judgement until i hear more. Is mcgee not the ideal free taker to take over while marren is out for left hand side.

All in all our team and subs are starting to look very weak. Bar Niall mcnamee this offaly team are poor but Id take a 1pt win.

I assume Keelan is not named due to the U-21 match on Wednesday. Essentially Francis Quinn has been dropped for Gary Gaughan with Gilmartin coming in for the injured Mullen (how long will he be out for?). Donal McLynn is from St John's. I didn't attend the games between Johns and Tourlestrane in the c'ship last year but listened to them on the radio. He got rave reviews on the radio - take from that what you will.

I would bite your hand off for any type of win. A defeat and Div 4 beckons.

SLIGONIAN

From SLIGOGAA.IE u21 team named, good luck to them..

1.Brian McGovern Brian Mac Shamhráin                         Calry St.Josephs

2.Noel Gaughan Nollaig Ó Gacháin                                    Tourlestrane

3.Gavin Gilsenan Gaibhín Mac Giolla Seanáin                 St.Molaise Gaels

4.Johnny Kelly Seán Ó Ceallaigh                                      St.Molaise Gaels

5.Ronan McGarigle Rónán Mac Fheargail                        St.John's

6.Barry O'Boyle Barra Ó Baoill                                          Calry St.Joseph's

7.Keelan Cawley Caolán Mac Amhlaidh                            Coolera Strandhill

8.Conor Davey Conchúr Ó Daibhí                                      Drumcliffe,Rosses Pt.

9.Cathal Burns Cathal Ó Broin                                          St.Molaise Gaels

10.Paul Kelly Pól Ó Ceallaigh                                              St.Patrick's

11.Paul Clarke Pól Ó Cléirigh                                             St.Patrick's

12.Darren Gilsenan Daire Mac Giolla Seanáin                  St.Molaise Gaels

13.Niall Judge Niall Mac an Bhreithiunaigh                      Castleconnor

14.David Maye Daibhéid Ó Miadhaigh                              Curry

15.Alan Dunne Ailéin Ó Dúinn                                            Tourlestrane

16.Conor O'Mahoney Conchúr Ó Mathúna                      Coolera Strandhill

17.Daniel Maye Dónall Ó Miadhaigh                                  Tubbercurry

18.Ronan Carter Rónán Mac Artúir                                  St.Mary's

19.Paddy Greene Pádraig Ó hUaine                                   St.John's

20.James Clarke Seamus Ó Cléirigh                                   St.Patrick's

21.James Hynes Seamus Ó hEidhin                                    St.Farnan's

22Conor Brady Conchúr Ó Brádaigh                                St.Patrick's

23.Conor Mullen Conchur Ó Maoláin                                Shamrock Gaels

24.Brian Harris Brian Ó hEarchaí                                      St.John's

25.Alan Seery            Ailéin Ó Saoraí                                 Tourlestrane

26.Paul Higgins Pól Ó hUigínn                                            Shamrock Gaels

27.Luke McDonagh  Lúcas Mac Donncha                         Tobar anChoire

28.Brendan Coleman Breandán Ó Colmáin                     CoolaneyMullinabreena

29.Niall Hayes Niall Ó hAodha                                            St.John's

30.Mark Herrity Marcas Ó hOireachtaigh             St.John's

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 16, 2010, 12:39:15 AM
From SLIGOGAA.IE u21 team named, good luck to them..

1.Brian McGovern Brian Mac Shamhráin                         Calry St.Josephs

2.Noel Gaughan Nollaig Ó Gacháin                                    Tourlestrane

3.Gavin Gilsenan Gaibhín Mac Giolla Seanáin                 St.Molaise Gaels

4.Johnny Kelly Seán Ó Ceallaigh                                      St.Molaise Gaels

5.Ronan McGarigle Rónán Mac Fheargail                        St.John’s

6.Barry O’Boyle Barra Ó Baoill                                          Calry St.Joseph’s

7.Keelan Cawley Caolán Mac Amhlaidh                            Coolera Strandhill

8.Conor Davey Conchúr Ó Daibhí                                      Drumcliffe,Rosses Pt.

9.Cathal Burns Cathal Ó Broin                                          St.Molaise Gaels

10.Paul Kelly Pól Ó Ceallaigh                                              St.Patrick’s

11.Paul Clarke Pól Ó Cléirigh                                             St.Patrick’s

12.Darren Gilsenan Daire Mac Giolla Seanáin                  St.Molaise Gaels

13.Niall Judge Niall Mac an Bhreithiunaigh                      Castleconnor

14.David Maye Daibhéid Ó Miadhaigh                              Curry

15.Alan Dunne Ailéin Ó Dúinn                                            Tourlestrane

16.Conor O’Mahoney Conchúr Ó Mathúna                      Coolera Strandhill

17.Daniel Maye Dónall Ó Miadhaigh                                  Tubbercurry

18.Ronan Carter Rónán Mac Artúir                                  St.Mary’s

19.Paddy Greene Pádraig Ó hUaine                                   St.John’s

20.James Clarke Seamus Ó Cléirigh                                   St.Patrick’s

21.James Hynes Seamus Ó hEidhin                                    St.Farnan’s

22Conor Brady Conchúr Ó Brádaigh                                St.Patrick’s

23.Conor Mullen Conchur Ó Maoláin                                Shamrock Gaels

24.Brian Harris Brian Ó hEarchaí                                      St.John’s

25.Alan Seery            Ailéin Ó Saoraí                                 Tourlestrane

26.Paul Higgins Pól Ó hUigínn                                            Shamrock Gaels

27.Luke McDonagh  Lúcas Mac Donncha                         Tobar anChoire

28.Brendan Coleman Breandán Ó Colmáin                     CoolaneyMullinabreena

29.Niall Hayes Niall Ó hAodha                                            St.John’s

30.Mark Herrity Marcas Ó hOireachtaigh             St.John’s

Surprising to see O'Mahony and Greene among the subs - they were starters on last years team. Also Clarke played for the seniors in the fbd

magpie seanie

Only one player that played in the U-20A final last Oct/Nov makes the team. As Mano mentioned the subs look very strong, Maye and McDonagh from Tubber are also two fine players. When I heard Clarke was centre forward I assumed it was James who had played in the FBD.

Anyway, lets hope the management and selectors have got it right. We could do with the shot in the arm and there's no reason these players should have any inferiority complex. That FF line could cause awful damage if we let the ball in properly and early.

Farrandeelin

I know Conor O'Mahony (kind of). I was surprised to see he starts on the bench and him being the goalie last year as well. Good luck and we might see ye in the final in Castlebar this year!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Or not farrandeelin ;D

Sligo V Roscommon Connacht Final in Markievicz April 3RD

Sligo 0-13 Galway 0-12 AET, Roscommon 2-9 Mayo 1-11.

Congrats to both. I was in Tuam and it was a strange feeling coming home, fantastic to beat to Galway in Tuam but the game was so poor at times and a Galway team that was poor its hard to know where we stand for the final.

David Maye was outstanding and to me is still looking the part. Cawley immense at wing back, the 2 corner forwards were erratic but good with ball in hand just not a scoring threat outside 20 metres so Id prefer maybe a change there. Wasnt impressed with my clubmates performance. Keeper was outstanding and made a great peno save. We rode our luck at times and our defence was too loose. Galway never really punished us and looked a poor side. Paul Kelly and P Clarke did well for long peroids but like burns ran out of steam. Subs made a huge impact, Hynes, Greene and brady all dominated midfield. FB line looked dodgy at times and kelly was out of his depth. 2 more yrs underage, but cummins today was a big ask. N Gaughan steady enough and daniel maye did well when he came on. Darren Gilsenan was underused, and never ran at his man when he had the pace for him, pity but a missed opportunity there. Hopefully cut loose the next day. Conor Davey is not a midfielder, FB or nothing. I wouldnt start burns the next day. He did ok at times but didnt do enough and went out of it 2nd half.

Before the jonston fans come on, he had the wrong team out in a few sectors as the subs did alot better than all there replacements.

Still an awful lot of work to do for the Final imo, but doable once jonston picks right team.

magpie seanie

Would go along with a lot of that. I'd bring 2 of the subs into the starting line up and hold the others in reserve (I think its important to have quality to bring in later on). Not sure if the other 3 would have the full hour in them but they all made good impacts in second half and extra time. I also thought the likes of Paul Kelly and Padraig Clarke who were replaced did well enough to start again (perhaps they were fading a bit when replaced). I disagree about Burns. He mullocked away and generally did quite well in the physical stakes with Conroy who is a fair operator. His distribution was poor at times but I'd go with him with the option of Greene as a solid replacement if need be. I have a bit of a  worry about the centre of our defence. The two guys are fine footballers in their own rights but neither seemed too interested in marking their men. Martyn and Joyce had too much freedom for my liking and should have made us pay. The likes of Shine will make us pay if afforded the same lattitude.

I hope the above doesn't seem negative. I think from my post on the main board people can see how excited I was by the win and the fight displayed by our lads. Its all for nought though if we can't somehow beat Roscommon in the final. Just have a feeling we might do it.

Farrandeelin - Conor O'Mahony is a club mate of mine. He's on the Sligo hurling panel at present and I understand he missed some of the preparations for the U-21s and hence he's on the bench. The way McGovern played yesterday means he will stay there.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 18, 2010, 12:41:03 PM
Would go along with a lot of that. I'd bring 2 of the subs into the starting line up and hold the others in reserve (I think its important to have quality to bring in later on). Not sure if the other 3 would have the full hour in them but they all made good impacts in second half and extra time. I also thought the likes of Paul Kelly and Padraig Clarke who were replaced did well enough to start again (perhaps they were fading a bit when replaced). I disagree about Burns. He mullocked away and generally did quite well in the physical stakes with Conroy who is a fair operator. His distribution was poor at times but I'd go with him with the option of Greene as a solid replacement if need be. I have a bit of a  worry about the centre of our defence. The two guys are fine footballers in their own rights but neither seemed too interested in marking their men. Martyn and Joyce had too much freedom for my liking and should have made us pay. The likes of Shine will make us pay if afforded the same lattitude.

I hope the above doesn't seem negative. I think from my post on the main board people can see how excited I was by the win and the fight displayed by our lads. Its all for nought though if we can't somehow beat Roscommon in the final. Just have a feeling we might do it.

Farrandeelin - Conor O'Mahony is a club mate of mine. He's on the Sligo hurling panel at present and I understand he missed some of the preparations for the U-21s and hence he's on the bench. The way McGovern played yesterday means he will stay there.

I still dont know what to think, like the managers appointment was late, the team starting training later than anyone, the training has been not ground breaking, results mixed, manager isnt the greatest, had the starting team wrong in fairness, and we still beat Galway in Tuam. I cant explain it but like brehony a lucky manager is sometimes better than a good one.

For me my starting team for the final would be McGovern, Gaughan, C Davey, G Gilsenan, McGarrigle, O Boyle, K Cawley, Greene, Clarke, P Kelly, Hynes, D Gilsenan, Judge, P Clarke, Maye.

The risk for me is if we dont start the lads that came on, ros may pull away if they start strong. We need to improve on our tackling especially if we get a clown of a ref like neary, judging by the rossies on stolensheep there ref was worse. Shine will punish us. I was disappointed with the corner forwards, there workrate was fantastic, but jees someone would want to tell judge not to shoot outside 30 as he doesnt have the power. Dunne the same. Clarke for me would be a target man in there and maye plays off him. Look yday Maye was never really in a scoring position from play enough for me.  Darren Gilsenan was underused aswell, but did an immense amount of chasing back. On burns in the 1st half he did fine but his legs went far too early in 2nd half for me. Last 20mins id bring him on.Conor Davey is not a midfielder and Gilsenan looked too loose for FB.

Its never negative beating Galway in Tuam, but nothing is won and just look at the above as constructive critism to improve the team IMO.

magpie seanie

Will conor Davey be ok for the next day? It looked to be arm/collar bone related so I'd fear he could be in trouble. If he's fit I'd defo have him in at full back.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo team named,

Greene, Harrison, McGuire, Donovan, Donal McGlynn, Mark Quinn, J Davey, TT, Gilmartin, David Maye, Brehony, Gaughan, Colm McGee, Sweeney, Kelly.

You know Ive done alot of whinging lately about the team selection, but Im delighted with this selection. Ewing, Costello and Coen all dropped and none can have any complaints. Now lads fight for yere place. Pretty much all the changes I was requesting have happened.

Well done to the management, it takes a while but ye cop on eventually ;). I heard earlier in the week EOH was away due to work commitments just for this game so not sure he'll even be on bench.

Buckass

Very worried about chances looking at that side It's amazing how much EOH's absence from our teamsheet lowers confidence. Thought Keelan Cawley would get the shout.

magpie seanie

I don't think any U-21s should be playing to be honest. Winning that Connacht title is far more important than a Div 3 game.

Team looks weak alright. Cavan mightn't be great either though.

SLIGONIAN

Jees were are not that reliant on EOH are we? He wont be there as he is not in subs either. Team is way stronger looking than wex or offaly games IMO.

Seanie, David Maye is named in starting 15, if he gets injured we can forget about the u21. Would be a little concerned at his inclusion from that point of view, huge risk.