St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Owenmoresider

A big weekend for a few prominent clubs next weekend, Mary's and Bunninadden meet with one to go, and the other isn't guaranteed survival either. Would be some shock to see the old emperors mingling amongst us mere peasants in Intermediate, but they have been on the slide for a few years now, the glories of the 70's and 80's just a memory. Just as well then that Bunninadden are having an awful year, that Junior win aside, and looking at the backline from the last day, it's hardly a surprise. Mary's to complete a sharp fall from grace for the Bunnies. One thing worth noting is that with at least one of them going down, and both due to have an Intermediate team next year - Mary's will and are proven at the level - what happens in that situation? Ye might be saved yet Seanie!

Geeavagh play Drumcliffe in the other tie. Drumcliffe's tallies of 1-5, 2-3 and 1-3 in their games tells its own story. Drumcliffe to lose their long battle against the dying of the light, after 15 years in Senior, and at least one of the Northern sides in Intermediate next year. Geevagh will hang on for another week, and could stay up altogether, were somewhat unlucky in their group.

Intermediate - Coolera to make it a brief stay, and Pat's will send Ballisodare down too after that, but what happens with the above situation may alter that. Cloonacool get lucky, and possibly deserve that luck.

As for the Quarters, Harps, Coolera and Curry will win theirs, though Coolera may struggle to put CC away as they have similiarly struggled in the past. Ballymote-Tubber is hard to call, Ballymote have the edge but Tubber can't be dismissed lightly, it'll not be anything like last year's result anyway. In Intermediate, we'll get torn a new one by Mullinabreena if we play like we did the last day, Harps were very comfortable winners, and we couldn't put a foot right. Unlikely to win it, but Harps will have a good battle with Curry and either will be tricky opponents in the semis. SMG should beat Mary's but not by a whole lot, and are good to make the final. Enniscrone-Michael's is a tough one, either side would have hopes of winning it but neither are very convincing, and fierce inconsistent. Enniscrone were making ground as the league went on, and if they keep their heads can get through. Them v Mullinabreena is anyone's guess.

xwave7000

Quote from: Sligoper on August 11, 2008, 06:47:20 PM
Business end of the championship! I have to say the standard of football is something horrific. I mean not only on the intercounty scene but also on the club scene. Ive watched one good game all year, Galway Kerry. Thats it.

Anyway, like i said business end of championship. I thinks it's harps to throw away. But not cause they are playing well, but everyone else is playing shite!

Curry have the two lads coming back but they look a shadow of the ruthless team they used to be.
Tubber will be tough stopped, i guarentee that!
Coolera will be there or there abouts.

Ballymote, Gaels, Castleconnor, Farnans will be too far away.

Thoughts opinions?

I think you're dismissing the four teams you mentioned rather easily - with the exception of Gaels, the other three are unbeaten in the Championship thus far, and I'm sure have the hunger and desire to progress - I predict a shock in the quarters, not quite sure who but I can't see everything going as planned.. If you pushed me I would fancy Gaels to upset Curry - but thats a big call. As for the other three matches, Ballymote/Tubber is the undoubted tie of the round - I don't know how to call it!

Sligoper

Yeah i can see why you say that but i just feel they're lacking somethin, to be honest, castleconnors and Farnan's gropu wasn't that strong was it?

Tubber will beat Ballymote, they've more skill and class, kelly, mcgee, curran, gilmartin, murphy all good players
Harps will win easily enough, Donovan, McGover, O Grady taylorx2,. They look very good.
Curry will beat gaels, they prob lost the last day because they were already thru and def top. wouldn read into it. Marren and Feeney back too.
Coolera will beat castleconnor but only just.

Curry vs Coolera,
Tubber vs Harps,

With Marren and Feeney added to an everstrong cury team, and Harps looking unstopable coupled with Tubber inexperience i'll say it's a Harps Curry final!
Go on the Bunnies!

stevo-08

Quote from: Sligoper on August 13, 2008, 06:31:18 PM
Yeah i can see why you say that but i just feel they're lacking somethin, to be honest, castleconnors and Farnan's gropu wasn't that strong was it?

Tubber will beat Ballymote, they've more skill and class, kelly, mcgee, curran, gilmartin, murphy all good players
Harps will win easily enough, Donovan, McGover, O Grady taylorx2,. They look very good.
Curry will beat gaels, they prob lost the last day because they were already thru and def top. wouldn read into it. Marren and Feeney back too.

Curry vs Coolera,
Tubber vs Harps,

With Marren and Feeney added to an everstrong cury team, and Harps looking unstopable coupled with Tubber inexperience i'll say it's a Harps Curry final!

well that cant happen anyway, seeing as the semis are drawn as follows: Harps/Farnans v Curry/Gaels, Coolera/C'Connor v Tubber/Ballymote

xwave7000

Quote from: Sligoper on August 13, 2008, 06:31:18 PM

Curry vs Coolera,
Tubber vs Harps,

As already pointed out, Harps and Curry will face each other in the semis - if they both win. I know it's just your opinion, but I wouldn't write off any team left in the Championship, as the poll above proves with apparent favorites Tourlestrane crashing out. It's football and anything can happen.
With regards to Tubber and Ballymote, Tubber may possess some great players but so do Ballymote, with McTiernan, Doddy, Munds, Clancy, Lyons - not forgetting that the teams drew both of their previous league encounters... I know League form means nothing but I am anticipating this match with huge interest, it'll be a cracker!

SLIGONIAN

Tubber v Balymote will definitly be the most tightly fought qtr final, football has its shocks and its hard not to write off farnans, castleconnor and shamrock gaels. If any of those 3 win is it purely down to curry, coolera or harps not being well prepared and not at there best or complacent? Especially at club level in the bigger names seem to not be at there best. Curry, harps, coolera and tourlestrane are so strong it is quite shocking seeing some of the results. In a way clubs like farnans should be applauded for closing the gap but im skeptical at this stage to give too much credit as i have a suspicion the big clubs mentioned arent at there best in alot of ways. 

Id expect a Eastern Harps v Curry, Tubber v Coolera/Strandhill semi line up.

What are dates, time and venues for the qtrs?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

xwave7000

I don't think any venues are announced yet, I'd expect them to be posted by next week though. I'm not so sure that there is a dominance in Sligo football - aside from Harps, most teams are very beatable this year - which is why I expect we may see a shock or two in the quarters.

Sligoper

Sorry about that, got the draw wrong! Well if this is the case then i think the championships will come from the Harps/Curry Semi final.

It's not of ignorance that im didmissing these teams but like you said opinion. Your right about the whole tourlestrane thing too.

Point noted on ballymote lads too.

In people's opinion what has been the game of the championship so far??

And also people's opionion on the following:

Best player so far:
Best Team:
Best Ref:
Who you think will win:
Outside Bet:
Go on the Bunnies!

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 13, 2008, 07:28:39 PM

Aug 30/31st for the qtrs. Not sure why the 3 week break between last round of groups & qtrs though.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on August 13, 2008, 09:14:52 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 13, 2008, 07:28:39 PM

Aug 30/31st for the qtrs. Not sure why the 3 week break between last round of groups & qtrs though.

Thanks Stevo for above info, heres more from sligogaa.ie, have to say im glad the qtrs arent clashing so i can go to both intermediate and senior club games. Hopefully see some good football.

Intermediate Championship

Quarterfinals to be played weekend of 23/24 August. Times,Dates & Venues to be confirmed on Friday 15th.

Semi Finals weekend 13/14th September

Final Sunday October 5th

Senior Championship

Quarterfinals to be played weekend of 30/31 August. Times, Dates & venues to be confirmed next week.

Semi Finals weekend 13/14th September

Final Sunday September 28th

Mano

We could do with a county manager in place to watch a few of these games also

SLIGONIAN

I read on one of the local papers that Chairman Murphy has no selection commitee even in place at this stage. That means we arent even close to getting a new manager. CB seem in no rush. The new manager if from outside will have feck all to go by if hired in November, trials is about the height of it. I want change and big change to the squad is what im talking about, i want the lads who lost focus and hunger to be kindly got rid of and guys who will give every commitment asked and the talent to stay or be selected.

But also i read somewhere the County PRO saying hed prefer someone should be put in place sooner rather later to see later club games. Which is obviously everyone on heres sentiment.

Anyways I'll be taking notes at these club games and wil pass on my expertise to the new manager :D so it'll be fine.

SLIGONIAN

Saturday 23rd August 2008

Intermediate Football Championship

Enniscrone/Kilglass  v St Michaels Tubbercurry 15:00

Curry  v Eastern Harps Tubbercurry 16:30

Sunday 24th August 2008

Intermediate Football Championship

Coolaney/Mullinabreena v Owenmore Gaels Markievicz Park 12:00

St Marys  v St Molaise Gaels Markievicz Park 13:45

OMS what position do you play for OMG? Just want to cheer you on in the curtain raiser ;).

magpie seanie

Very sad to hear about what happened out in Geevagh to their pitch and centre as a result of the recent weather. I can only imagine how pissed off they must be and don't even want to think what I'd be like if it happened to my club. They are a club on the rise with good community spirit so hopefully they can get it sorted asap. Really hope they can stay up senior to give themselves an added boost.

Kilcoyne Park is also flooded but I don't think its near as bad. The good old Irish summer.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 15, 2008, 09:12:35 PM
Very sad to hear about what happened out in Geevagh to their pitch and centre as a result of the recent weather. I can only imagine how pissed off they must be and don't even want to think what I'd be like if it happened to my club. They are a club on the rise with good community spirit so hopefully they can get it sorted asap. Really hope they can stay up senior to give themselves an added boost.

Kilcoyne Park is also flooded but I don't think its near as bad. The good old Irish summer.

I second that, fierce disheartening after raiseing 1million to delevelop the pitch last year only for this to happen. It looks disastrous in the pictures in the paper. Hope they can comeback and maybe they need flood defences to stop the river doing that again. Hopefully the sligo county council will help them out. I wish them well in coming back from this.